Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^Because fatasses rule!!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My G37 now has 5,000 miles on it since modifying the Sport seats by removing the metal plates in the thigh bolster area. No "droop" in the upholstery, no "sagging", no problems of any kind - the only effect has been dramatically increased comfort.

In conversations with a service manager at a dealership, apparently this is pretty much what differentiates the Sport seats from the regular seats. The seat construction and dimensions are the same (logical, it saves money in construction). The metal plates narrow the bottoms of the regular seats, and with the addition of inflatable bolsters, they become "Sport" seats. By taking out the metal brace plates it turns the Sport seat into the regular seat as far as comfort goes, but keeps the inflatable thigh bolsters.

It seems that since the construction, materials, and dimensions are the same, it is probably unlikely that removing the plates will cause any long term problems. After all, the regular seats don't have them, and presumably were designed to last the life of the car (the upholstery shop that did the work said they have been doing this for years on Porsche Sport seats that have the same design, and have never seen a problem).

My original post on this is:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...ferrerid=59955

Last edited by Nick-L; 03-11-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick-L
My G37 now has 5,000 miles on it since modifying the Sport seats by removing the metal plates in the thigh bolster area. No "droop" in the upholstery, no "sagging", no problems of any kind - the only effect has been dramatically increased comfort.

In conversations with a service manager at a dealership, apparently this is pretty much what differentiates the Sport seats from the regular seats. The seat construction and dimensions are the same (logical, it saves money in construction). The metal plates narrow the bottoms of the regular seats, and with the addition of inflatable bolsters, they become "Sport" seats. By taking out the metal brace plates it turns the Sport seat into the regular seat as far as comfort goes, but keeps the inflatable thigh bolsters.

It seems that since the construction, materials, and dimensions are the same, it is probably unlikely that removing the plates will cause any long term problems. After all, the regular seats don't have them, and presumably were designed to last the life of the car (the upholstery shop that did the work said they have been doing this for years on Porsche Sport seats that have the same design, and have never seen a problem).

My original post on this is:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...ferrerid=59955

I know this is an old thread, but I just did this modification to my sport drivers seat.
What a difference.
After a recent back issue, I've been looking for ways to make the car more comfortable, this helps by allowing your thighs to lay flatter on the seat, without the feeling of resting on a steel bar.
It took about 1 hour to remove the seat, peel back the leather edges and cut the brackets off, then reassemble and install.

Aaahhhhhh...
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gbest03
I know this is an old thread, but I just did this modification to my sport drivers seat.
What a difference.
After a recent back issue, I've been looking for ways to make the car more comfortable, this helps by allowing your thighs to lay flatter on the seat, without the feeling of resting on a steel bar.
It took about 1 hour to remove the seat, peel back the leather edges and cut the brackets off, then reassemble and install.

Aaahhhhhh...
what did you use to cut the brackets off with? did you take any pictures?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
gbest03

I used my reciprocating saw and a new short metal cutting blade.
I didn't take any pictures, Yes, I should have, especially now that I drove the car a bit without any pain, I know a lot of people will want to do this.
I can walk anyone through it, it's fairly simple.

I might be tempted to do this to my passenger seat, if I do, I'll take lots of pic's and write it up.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gbest03
I used my reciprocating saw and a new short metal cutting blade.
I didn't take any pictures, Yes, I should have, especially now that I drove the car a bit without any pain, I know a lot of people will want to do this.
I can walk anyone through it, it's fairly simple.

I might be tempted to do this to my passenger seat, if I do, I'll take lots of pic's and write it up.
thanks. i might be sending a PM your way over the next month if i can find the time. :-/

when the bolsters are inflated, do they actually provide enough support for tight turns?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 PM
gbest03

Originally Posted by finagle69
thanks. i might be sending a PM your way over the next month if i can find the time. :-/

when the bolsters are inflated, do they actually provide enough support for tight turns?
Any time on the PM, glad to help!

The seat still holds you in place pretty well, even without the bolsters inflated.
Maybe I'm just not cornering fast enough