Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Blind Spot

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM
SilkeG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blind Spot

This topic was touched on in various threads so decided to pull it together for better discussion. Hopefully anyone experiencing this can find an appropriate solution for safety sake.

In the references below, we see some people notice this driver side blind spot, others not. Not sure if driver seat positioning and/or mirror positioning has any effect to this, no one really discussed this aspect yet.

MyG37 member evaluation of G37 (post 56):
Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)
The coupe driver side blind spot was first mentioned here within a few days of driving his brand new G37.

Writer review of G37:
Another Great Review
At the end of this writer's review, he mentions the blind spot.

G35Driver member's peeve of G35 coupe and various solutions offered:
Is it just me or does the coupe have bad blind spots?
This blind spot is not new to G37, it existed on the G35 and likely most all coupes. Interesting tips ranging from proper mirror overlap adjustment to additional mirrors.

Japan's Skyline 370's solution to blind spot?:
'08 SCoupe
A new member local to Japan was kind enough to enlighten us about the existence of a camera in the side mirror (post #20). This kind of makes sense now why Infiniti made the bottom part of the side mirrors a different material. Depending on this camera angle and view, it has potential application for this driver side blind spot and maybe also as a replacement to having the mirror dip down when parking to avoid curb rash etc. Perhaps order one for each side.
EDIT: See post #22, he just included a link to a video showing how the side mirror camera works, very nice.

Picture of this camera in side mirror (a glimpse anyway):
Sat in a G37 my first impressions
A member (post #12) first pointed this out (sharp eyes). Notice the small overhang on the passenger side mirror (left side for Japan) in post #3 second pic.

Another option is to wait until the around view monitor is introduced for the EX and see if it can be added to G37:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/4070328....d-view-monitor
It's possible that the around view monitor system incorporates these very same side mirror cameras.

Last edited by SilkeG; 10-10-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
bstnjohn

blind spot

I too have had serious issue with the large blind spot on the G37. Like other readers I solved the problem with those little spot mirrors. I have one on each side mirror. They don't look great but they surely will avoid accidents. I have used them on other coupes I have had (Mazda RX7and Mitsib Eclipse) that have the same problem and it doesn't take long to use to them.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM
SilkeG

Curious, do you have your seat further back towards that B-pillar?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
SilkeG

The video of the side mirror camera indicates it's viewing forward, you can see the front wheel. If that camera can be mounted to face backwards, it's possible to see the back wheel and also the blind spot. Supposedly it has infrared capabilities. Great stuff! See that '08 SCoupe thread for details.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Orbie

Originally Posted by SilkeG
Curious, do you have your seat further back towards that B-pillar?
Strange, I've never noticed this "blind spot" in my G35 or in my G37. I'm also wondering what everyone's seating positions are. In my G35 I found I sat slight ahead of the B pillar, this meant shoulder checking would have me looking straight out the back part of the front window. I'm finding my seating position in the G37 to be almost identical, and I have not noticed any blind spot. I'm 6'1" if that makes any difference. I can see if you are sitting right beside the B pillar that it would block any shoulder checking though.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm 6'1 as well and not skinny. I place my seat all the way to the back and lean the back rest past the B-pillar with my cars. I've used "spot" convex mirrors for my blind spots (the ones that attach to the side view mirrors). I dont think they look bad. I will put em on my G, when I get it. If the so called blind spot is there for me.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:41 AM
ABQG35c

Originally Posted by Orbie
Strange, I've never noticed this "blind spot" in my G35 or in my G37. I'm also wondering what everyone's seating positions are. In my G35 I found I sat slight ahead of the B pillar, this meant shoulder checking would have me looking straight out the back part of the front window. I'm finding my seating position in the G37 to be almost identical, and I have not noticed any blind spot. I'm 6'1" if that makes any difference. I can see if you are sitting right beside the B pillar that it would block any shoulder checking though.
We need to stay in contact. I'm 6'1 as well and want to make sure I get close to your seating arrangements.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ABQG35c
We need to stay in contact. I'm 6'1 as well and want to make sure I get close to your seating arrangements.
I'm 6'1" and weigh 170 lbs. I drive with the seat more to the back of the track, fairly reclined. I slapped a spot mirror on the second day I had the car. In fact, I've used these mirrors for years.

I'll give up a little aesthetics for a barely noticeable, but major improvement to my rear vision.

A lot of this has to do with where you drive. In an urban traffic environment, I think they are a must.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 PM
SilkeG

So far, common theme here seems to be seat further back and/or reclined. If adjustments to seat or existing mirrors don't solve the problem, current solution for many people is to add spot mirrors. We'll just have to wait and see about the new high-tech possibilities.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM
tomcatm

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I did a review for my group buy people since I was the first one to get the car, and one of the problems I noticed right away was the blind spot. I had the G35 coupe and I never had a problem. The set belt extender and the slighly higher position of the quarter window creates a bad blind spot. Ive never used those smaller mirrors but looks like I might have to get one for this car...
Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 AM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by tomcatm
Ie never used those smaller mirrors but looks like I might have to get one for this car...
Or, adjust your mirrors as R&T has suggested. Adjust the driver side mirror by placing your left ear against the window glass and then adjusting the view so you can "just" see the left side of the car in the mirror. Adjust the passenger side mirror by moving your head to the middle of the car (over the console) and then adjust the same. No, you will not be able to see the sides of the car from the driver's position, but you will be able to see more of the adjacent lanes alongside your car.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 PM
gurneyeagle

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Or, adjust your mirrors as R&T has suggested. Adjust the driver side mirror by placing your left ear against the window glass and then adjusting the view so you can "just" see the left side of the car in the mirror. Adjust the passenger side mirror by moving your head to the middle of the car (over the console) and then adjust the same. No, you will not be able to see the sides of the car from the driver's position, but you will be able to see more of the adjacent lanes alongside your car.
Unfortunately, that method didn't really work for me. I can't get the field of vision that I am comfortable with.

I appreciate other folk's objection with the spot mirrors, but I don't have a problem with them. I just use one on the driver's side. For me, it makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Unfortunately, that method didn't really work for me. I can't get the field of vision that I am comfortable with.
It does take a little time to get used to it. When I first tried it, years ago, it took maybe a full week or two until I was comfortable. Now, I can not go back to the way most people adjust their mirrors. My side mirrors supplement my rear mirror, they do not overlap it. So, I can see more with my mirrors, most especially those spaces on either side of the rear of the car, than if the sides overlapped what the rear view was already showing me.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Gwhiz37

If the sides are adjusted correctly, to be "side mirrors" and not quasi-side/rear, then no blind spot. Have a friend walk up and down the left and right side of the car to emulate a car's position in the next lane over while you are parked and adjust the sides so you can see your friend walking back and forth. Its never failed this way. Trying to do it while driving does not cut it.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 PM
SilkeG

You can also adjust mirror(s) while parked. It should not be a problem finding roads with parking along the right side, but for the left side, your best bet is finding a one way road. For either side, preferably, there should be no car parked right behind you.

This gives you a chance to get used to the view(s) in combination with the rear view mirror. For proper mirror positioning without overlap, as soon as the car is no longer in view of the rear view mirror, you should see it in the side view mirror.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot