G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tech Package... experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
shiroda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that (and will try not to keep up with any classic muscle cars).
Old 09-20-2007, 02:36 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 Callaway

I also really love the adaptive cruise. It lets you set your "rabbit trailing" distance so the police will have plenty of space to pull out and stop that lexus you are following. Or is that just me?

It modulates the throttle and brake to keep you at your set distance from the car in front of you. If that car moves out from in front of you, it resumes your set cruise speed automatically (<91mph). If someone pulls out in front of you that is going slower than you, it will slow to even less than the car that pulled out in front until it drops back to your set distance, where it then matches the speed of the car in front. Until the car in front gets the hell out of the way. It is very cool.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 PM
evil skiny

it will even bring you down to almost 5 mph at stoplights. I think it even applies the brakes slightly.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
dennisjai

hmm adaptive cruise control might be bad because theres some people who close cut on the highway on purpose.. so what happens then?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

If it's too close, the car beeps and turns the cruise off and you take over. If not, it will slow down for you (pretty well too). It's not auto pilot, so you still have to pay attention. It's nice because you can use cruise even in traffic now.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
If it's too close, the car beeps and turns the cruise off and you take over. If not, it will slow down for you (pretty well too). It's not auto pilot, so you still have to pay attention. It's nice because you can use cruise even in traffic now.

Good point, Callaway.

I had a little trouble understanding the usefulness of the system until I started using it in traffic. A large part of my commute is across a 24 mile bridge with heavy traffic that averages around 70 mph.

It took a little while to have enough confidence in the system that it would actually slow the car down, and you need to decide on the level of sensitivity you are comfortable with. It is nice setting the cruise at 70 mph and then not worrying about constantly turning it on and off.

I have found that the slowing can be a little abrupt, even if I just come up on someone. I think the brakes are definitely applied.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM
RedHerring

What? You are still STEERING your car? Noob. I usually take a nap.

But seriously,

I have felt the brake pedal move under my foot. It was very unexpected and appropriate at the time.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 AM
ivory37

I kind of bought the car on the spot and the only 6sp IP one there had everything but the tech package so I figured who cares. I dont use CC and I can live without the adaptive lights.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Orbie

The two biggest features I wanted when I bought the car was the rearview camera and adaptive headlights, these things I loved on my brothers M35x. So it sucked bad when I found out they were split into two packages. In Canada though, you can't just get the nav package, and you also can't just get the Tech package, nope you HAVE to get both together. So you want Nav well then you're gettin ICC and pre-tension seatbelts as well. So my car has both, but no big deal at least I got the features I wanted.