Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Gas tank on wrong side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it on the passenger's side because there is less waiting at the gas pump (for now anyways).
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
lowrider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me anyway, it's a PITA. My wife's car and my truck have it on the driver's side. When I go into a station, unless I stop and think, I'll inevitably pull up on the wrong side. Standardize 'em. Back in the 70s and 80s, GM put 'em in the back behind the license plate. I luved it there. I know putting it there today would pose a huge safety risk, but it sure was handy. In the 50s Chevy and Cadillac put them behind their taillights. Enough reminiscing.

Lou
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
I like it on the passenger's side because there is less waiting at the gas pump (for now anyways).
that's exactly what i was thinking. you can sneak in unnoticed sometimes.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
WellBelowH2O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowrider
For me anyway, it's a PITA. My wife's car and my truck have it on the driver's side. When I go into a station, unless I stop and think, I'll inevitably pull up on the wrong side. Standardize 'em. Back in the 70s and 80s, GM put 'em in the back behind the license plate. I luved it there. I know putting it there today would pose a huge safety risk, but it sure was handy. In the 50s Chevy and Cadillac put them behind their taillights. Enough reminiscing.

Lou
Just look at the gas gauge. Most cars have an arrow on the gauge that points to the side the tank is on. It's right by the mini-pump icon.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by WellBelowH2O
Just look at the gas gauge. Most cars have an arrow on the gauge that points to the side the tank is on. It's right by the mini-pump icon.
I know it's there, and I "know" which side my cap is on, the problem is that I have to think about it. It should be automatic, and it's not - because my vehicles are not the same.

Lou
Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM
WellBelowH2O

I know it's there, and I "know" which side my cap is on, the problem is that I have to think about it. It should be automatic, and it's not - because my vehicles are not the same.

Lou
Gotcha... thought maybe you didn't know about the arrow (I know my wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out). Like others have said, though, I've consistently found that the pumps for the caps on the passenger side seem less crowded.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
that's exactly what i was thinking. you can sneak in unnoticed sometimes.
For me the hassle is messing up the traffic pattern at the pumps. You often end up having to back up and squeeze through etc.
Seems like a no brainer that all cars should have them on the same side. And if the passenger side is the correct side, then why doesn't Nissan do it with all their cars?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
marsb007

I think it's done to facilitate the driver talking to his/her passenger during the fill up routine... jk!

It's retarded if you ask me. There's no reason to make someone walk around the car to fuel up... and I dont buy the legislation comment. All the pumps have the red/yellow protectors to hopefully stop someone from slamming into them... I dont think a car door opening would cause any damage to the pump (assuming the door even reaches)...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i had always assumed it was due to the car aspiring to the more 'euro look' a al BMW et al.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM
dmkozak

unless I stop and think
Is that a problem for you, to stop and think?

P.S. This has been an attempt at humor and is in no way intended as a personal attack on the poster.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by marsb007
It's retarded if you ask me.
I suggest 1) we all write our elected officials to have you assist with all Federal legislation concerning automobiles, and 2) we all write Renault - Nissan to make sure they have you review all such plans and designs so they don't end up doing something "retarded".
Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 PM
NhatLai

I appreciate the fact that the gas cap is on the passenger side. Many of the gas stations near me have the pumps on cement islands that are pretty tall and if I park too close to them (in my old car) I'd actually scrape the bottom of the door.

Also, a few of the stations have metal posts imbedded into the foundation in front of the pump lanes so people don't smash into them. These can get in the way of opening the door as well.

So, the switch to a passenger side gas cap has been a surprise blessing for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM
lowrider

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Is that a problem for you, to stop and think.
As a matter of fact it is

Originally Posted by dmkozak
I suggest 1) we all write our elected officials to have you assist with all Federal legislation concerning automobiles, and 2) we all write Renault - Nissan to make sure they have you review all such plans and designs so they don't end up doing something "retarded".
You're a funny guy

Lou