G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Forget Intelligent Key, This is what we need...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
peterbanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget Intelligent Key, This is what we need...

You'd no longer have to worry about losing the key in the car. Of course the watch costs as much as a G37...

Like something straight out of a James Bond flick, Aston Martin is offering a limited edition Jaeger LeCoultre wristwatch for its new DBS that can be used to lock and unlock the car as well as fire it up. Available only to buyers of the 510hp flagship, the new watch carries a price tag of €25,000. Remember, that’s on top of the €240,000 already put down for the car.

For that kind of money, customers get one of the most complex timepieces in the world. There’s over 200 parts used for just the casing and an additional 200 parts used for the watch movement itself, reports Automotive News. Engineers also managed to shrink the DBS transponder electronics so that it fits inside the watch.

Jaeger boss Jérôme Lambert says the new watch allows you to do away with the keys.

Story: Click Me

Last edited by peterbanks; 09-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know how the transponder on our IK works? Does it need to be powered? I'm tempted to go buy a spare one and tinker around with it. Maybe, add it into the sole of my shoe or something?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
nodsky

if you manage to put one in your shoe, i will pay you to put one in mine
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by nodsky
if you manage to put one in your shoe, i will pay you to put one in mine

oh geese.. this ranks right up there with.. how do i use the breaks in my car!

.. sorry.. couldnt help mysef.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Lol, yea putting it in the shoe is a bad example. Maybe embedding just the chip part into my wallet or something. I'm really curious to see the exact workings of the IK.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
Lol, yea putting it in the shoe is a bad example. Maybe embedding just the chip part into my wallet or something. I'm really curious to see the exact workings of the IK.
No, embedding the chip in your neck, well that's hi-tech baby! Imagine just blinking twice and getting to watch Star Trek on the nav screen.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Be sure to post a write-up once you do this gurney
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
nemoid

it's probably not hard...

i'd take apart my mom's Maxima iKey and let you guys know but she'd probably get pissed.

the PCB is probably 3/4 the size of a stick of gum with a smaller watch battery... Most likely has 3 surface mounted buttons and a small round transmitter on the top.

I don't think you're getting it in anywhere... they key is your best bet.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
SilkeG

Lo-tech idea for a high-tech device: make a wrist band and holder for the fob and stick an Infiniti clock to the front ... you got yourself your €25,000 watch .
Old 09-12-2007, 12:10 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So let me see ... you hand the valet guy your watch to go park your Aston Martin...
Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 AM
SilkeG

Originally Posted by terrycs
So let me see ... you hand the valet guy your watch to go park your Aston Martin...
Yup, here hold €25,000 for me or opposite end of spectrum ... here, take my shoe.

Last edited by SilkeG; 09-12-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 AM
peterbanks

Originally Posted by SilkeG
or opposite end of spectrum ... here, take my shoe.
Picturing that made me laugh
Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last time I checked the "intelligent key" is nothing more than a RFID chip (google it to be amazed) with a unique ID number. When the chip comes into close contact with the car, the car picks it up, checks the ID, if it passes authorization, it allows it to open/lock doors and start the ignition.

Verichip (google it) makes RFID chips which can be embedded in humans. There are already uses for RFID technology as far as storing medical information and allowing access to private clubs/residences/etc.

Walmart uses it in all their products to keep track of inventory. Sunpass/Ezpass/Baypass/Whateveryouwannacallitpass uses it for payment of tolls. RFID tags is now being embeded into playing cards that are used for televisied poker tournamnets, so comentators know exactly what cards has been dealt to whom, as soon as the deal is complete. A school used them a few years ago to track attendance in kids (the kids had to wear an ID tag around their neck which was equipped with a RFID tag...

My guess is that in the next 10-15 years, this technology will be more mainstream, and dare I say it, a normal part of life... scary, I know.

Last edited by marsb007; 09-12-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
nemoid

Originally Posted by marsb007
Last time I checked the "intelligent key" is nothing more than a RFID chip (google it to be amazed) with a unique ID number. When the chip comes into close contact with the car, the car picks it up, checks the ID, if it passes authorization, it allows it to open/lock doors and start the ignition.

Verichip (google it) makes RFID chips which can be embedded in humans. There are already uses for RFID technology as far as storing medical information and allowing access to private clubs/residences/etc.

Walmart uses it in all their products to keep track of inventory. Sunpass/Ezpass/Baypass/Whateveryouwannacallitpass uses it for payment of tolls. RFID tags is now being embeded into playing cards that are used for televisied poker tournamnets, so comentators know exactly what cards has been dealt to whom, as soon as the deal is complete. A school used them a few years ago to track attendance in kids (the kids had to wear an ID tag around their neck which was equipped with a RFID tag...

My guess is that in the next 10-15 years, this technology will be more mainstream, and dare I say it, a normal part of life... scary, I know.
yeah but there's more too it than just the RFID tag. It's all gonna be sat on one PCB because of the lock/unlock/trunk/panic buttons.

Like I said earlier, a bit smaller than a stick of gum. When I get home from work I'll try to take apart the Maxima iKey
Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM
nemoid

well, here it is...

in the first pic you can see the fob open.

the upside-down black T is the RFID. the battery is the attached to the back.

the second pic you can see the 4 surface mount buttons... the two chips up top are most likely microcontrollers.

third pic is the antenna for the RFID.
Attached Thumbnails Forget Intelligent Key, This is what we need...-1.jpg   Forget Intelligent Key, This is what we need...-2.jpg   Forget Intelligent Key, This is what we need...-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Forget Intelligent Key, This is what we need...