Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

why did you pick that color?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:24 AM
hum3a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why did you pick that color?

as the title says. I'm looking for info as to why you guys chose the color that you did. My problem at the moment is that I can't decide between ivory pearl and obsidian black.

i have owned a celica gts and currently own a e36 m3, both black. When its clean and the sun is setting there is almost nothing better. Its very stealthy and mafioso, you definitely get that James Bond feel to the car. My only problem with black is that schwirl marks show up really easy and in the middle of the day with the sun shining it looks even worse. Another thing is that the whole black car + limo tint + black wheels scene getting played out. I see it everywhere from trucks, to civics, to benzes.

the reason i'm considering white is because I think its the next big thing. the new AMG's, M3/M5, lancer evo, STi, porsche 911, lotus elise.... pretty much all the new cars look amazing in white. Add to that the fact that white is japan's racing color, kinda like how britain has green and italy has red.

i have loved black cars since i could drive, but the thought of a white G37 on gold volks seems just as good.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
First of all, I don't think you should consider white just because its the "next big thing". You should get a color that you really like, not a color that you think is "in" right now.

My previous and present car are both black. Although they get dirty easily, I actually enjoy cleaning my car. However, the swirl marks can get irritating.

My first color choice for my G37 would be Obsidian Black, again. Black is just sexy, brute, sporty, stealthy, and just plain BAD A$$! and I am planning on getting - *surprise* black wheels. But I'm going with time attacks.
Next choice would be platinum graphite, (although I wish it was a darker gray). Third would be Blue Slate.

IP on gold Volks, hhmmmm, I've seen a few of those before.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a tough time choosing between IP and OB. The dealership I went to actually had both colors in stock with the packages I was looking for. Comparing them side by side, OB just looked so much better than the IP. Yes, it will be tough to clean and yes, it will show imperfections more than the IP, but there is no better looking site than a newly cleaned, newly waxed G37 sitting in your driveway. You can avoid swirlmarks by using proper cleaning methods and quality cleaing and waxing products. Don't let the dealership or carwash clean your car!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If BO is the color you really want, get a PC with Menzerna 0106FF to remove the swirl marks that will inevitably show up. My last G was BO, so I know all about the extra work keeping it looking good. And I agree with you, when clean, BO is the nicest color there is. Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 AM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
.........Yes, it will be tough to clean and yes, it will show imperfections more than the IP, but there is no better looking site than a newly cleaned, newly waxed G37 sitting in your driveway......
Callaway, excuse me for parsing your reply, but I just wanted to highlight one point - that when it is clean and freshly waxed, there is no better looking color than black. I agree 100%.

I also want to state up front that there is no "right" color. It is a very personal choice.

Okay, now that I have made that disclaimer, here's my opinion based on 30+ years of owning cars. My color choices depend on my driving environment. I commute 85 miles a day roundtrip across the most bug-infested bridge (24 miles) in the world. The front of my car has looked like it was covered in felt after a few crossings.

Because of that, I lean towards heavy-metallic, medium colors. They tend to hide the inevitable chips, and bug marks better.

My color choices would be in this order:

Platinum Graphite
Amethyst Graphite (what I'm getting)
Athens Blue
Liquid Platinum
Vibrant Red (cop magnet, believe me!)
Ivory Pearl
Obsidum Black

I mean no disrespect to anyone for their color choices!

If I owned a black car, it would look ten years old in a month. I do think the G37 in black is beautiful.

I had a Pearl White Maxima SE and constantly received compliments on the color. The bugs however, made it a mess too.

Something to note - most show cars are painted silver because designers feel it best highlights a car's lines. Plus, it NEVER looks dirty.

I've got an Anthracite Acura TL that has held up well over the past two years, which is why I'm happy getting the Amethyst Graphite.

Bottomline, there is no wrong color for a G37; it is a beautiful car. Get the color you feel the best about and enjoy it. The pictures the new owners have posted so far are all beautiful!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:26 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Keeping true to my tradition- I bought a black G37. My last 2 sports coupes have been black ('90 Prelude/ '93 MX6). My first car ('86 Prelude SI) was blue- it was a hand-me-down from my mom. But once I went black...

Primarily because I spend a lot of time on my cars anyway so whether it is black or any other color, I am going to clean it often and polish/ wax often. When black is clean it is my favorite color. I like red too though. When red is dirty it doesn't look as bad as a dirty black car.

To counter swirly, I change out my cleaning rags very often and I polish more often than usual. I also use Menzernas intensive polish- works like a charm to keep black looking good. Also- never ever wipe your car unless you have washed it. Sometimes the temptation is to wipe off pollen or dust- but that is where your swirls often come from.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 09-03-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
anotha

Just something about the sun hitting a fresh black car drives me crazy!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:47 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
the G37 paint has been more metallic than the previous models.... looks better and better... not as shiny as toyota paint but they've improved
Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
sanscu

Well said da_mayor. I noticed that on the preview night when I first saw the car and that also clinched my decision on being safe in any color with the "better" paint quality on the G37. I am sure people will want to suggest that the paints vary from one car to the next but I seriously think they dipped these new G's in some serious paint batter.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes I noticed a better paint quality on the new ones than th eolder ones as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Memphoman

Vibrant Red...cop magnet or not, its da ****!!! makes my DG look positively mundane...
Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 AM
SilkeG

Yes, I compared IP on G35 coupe and G37 ... IP on G37 to me seems more metallic, more pearl. Didn't look closely on OB or other colors though.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

i picked IP again because all my cars in the past were pearl white including my old G35. I just think it looks classy and mature.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Ginxed

I was torn between IP and Diamond Graphite on my G35, it was 51% IP and 49% DG however I went with DG because it seems to me that even though IP is a beautiful color it doesn't age as well as DG.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
hum3a

found this:

Last edited by hum3a; 09-04-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: why did you pick that color?