G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
bostonmerlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)

ok all you g37 owners it's time to fess up and admit what we like and dont like about our new baby.

I've had my g37 for a little over a week now (short list)

- technology works very well (A+)
- sound system is awesome
- in person much nicer than pics.. dont like all angles.. but overall is a sweet looking machine
- love the chrome accent on the back vs bat-wing... chrome looks great on black.
- new car smell!
- all the attention this car (and i) get.
- plenty of head and shoulder room in this car (i'm 6'1)
- baby seats fit nice in the back
- tech pkg adaptive lighting is super cool.. at night getting used to those lights going left/right up and down (all on their own) takes some getting used to but works very well
- voice control works perfect.. and i haven't trained it yet either. A+
- bluetooth and my iPhone work perfect together.
-backup cam rocks. i roll in backwards into my garage each night.. this is great!
- loving the key less entry/start dongle but i'm still taking it out of my pocket like its a key.. time should fix this habit.
- the car is solid.. no creaks, whistles or pops. the doors shut with a resounding thump (just like my wifes five series bmw).

there's a lot more i like about the car.. but the important stuff for most of us is the negatives.... so here are a few of mine!

Dont Like
- sport seats are hard on my thighs.. no seat setting has fixed how tight it feels.. hope it wears in a little bit over time.
- the trunk is definitely smaller than i'd like but it's a coupe.. duhh..
- black is a bitch to clean.. but i knew that going in
- scrolling through hundreds of songs/artists is a pain.. no jump-to setting or scroll by page. if its there i haven't found it. zztop will never get any airplay in my car because of this!
- taking my 15 month son in and out of the back is hard.. even with those motorized seats.
- ipod cable and cup holder were not well thought out (6mt). cant use both at the same time (easily) and because the cable is thick it pops out of the ipod or the car connection too easily.. not all the time.. but will at times.
- wish i had more color options for the map background color.. not feeling the two choices because in 3d view streets dont stand out as much as i'd like.. maybe my eyes need to get checked!
- when the nav talks i'd like for the music to slowly fade out/in instead of just cut-off then cut back in after voice is done talking. the rest of the system is spot-on..
- door handle scratches easily.. washi trim is great and doesn't scratch.
- placement of seat controls is awkward with door closed
- premium fuel only. its a sports coupe.. it needs it i know.. just didnt expect it to be a requirement. though its all i ever put in my g35coupe.. volunteering to do it vs being told you have to do it is the issue. In the end its definately not a show stopper and i completely understand why it's needed.. but its going on my negative list anyway just because i can!
- for me.. unless my seat is most of the way back my right elbow barely rests on the center arm rest.. of course this is all about my height and seating preferences but i expect i'm not alone.
- have not found a way to show listings of xm sat stations.. just like listing through your artist list on the ipod.. i'd to see lists of xm stations. currently you scroll one by one through all of those channels..so unless you know the station number by heart you'll have to read each and every one.. one at a time. maybe i didnt find the setting if it's there.. let me know!
- fast forwarding through podcasts takes a while.. part of my job is listening to tech podcasts to stay up with the latest.. and if i have to ff for any reason through an hour long show it can take a while. yes this is picky
- podcasts dont indicate if they've been listened to or not. the ipod reflects this and i would expect the nav to do the same. another picky one.

I'm not looking for a debate .. just being honest with how this car works with me and my lifestyle.. overall i absolutely love the car. My size, background, tastes and habits will be much different than yours so don't panic if you don't own a g and are concerned about some of the things I've mentioned.. i think you'll know if some are real problems (i.e. door handle scratches) or if it's just a personal thing with me (i.e armrest position). I guarantee others on the board will have an opposite reaction to some of my pros/cons.

so enough about me.. what about YOU?? give us your list of likes and more importantly ... dislikes.

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 09-01-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 PM
N50

Thanks for the review, John. I'm glad that you are enjoying the car overall. I'm sure that your concerns will differ from others. I think there is one thing we can all agree on...Infiniti keeps getting better and better.

Last edited by N50; 09-01-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
iansw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a note - the VQ Engine in the G35 also required Premium.

All VQs since the 1995 Nissan Maxima (first car with a VQ) have always required Premium fuel.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^ John, I'll develop a list in a couple of weeks as I don't have enough "seat time", but I will say that the seats are narrow and if someone is big in the trunk that may be an issue. I have my seat bolsters as flat as they will go right now and I assume that over time they will soften up.

Don't get hung up on the Premium fuel as this one always comes up. If you drive 16,000 miles per year and average 18 mpg with a cost difference of .20 per gallon(.20 diff here in Chi.) you are spending $180 more in fuel annually.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
^ John, I'll develop a list in a couple of weeks as I don't have enough "seat time", but I will say that the seats are narrow and if someone is big in the trunk that may be an issue. I have my seat bolsters as flat as they will go right now and I assume that over time they will soften up.

Don't get hung up on the Premium fuel as this one always comes up. If you drive 16,000 miles per year and average 18 mpg with a cost difference of .20 per gallon(.20 diff here in Chi.) you are spending $180 more in fuel annually.

to be clear i'm not hung-up on it.. it was just a surprise (to me) and felt it might be enough of a surprise to sway someone one way or the other over getting the G vs another car. i dont drive the car enough to worry over things like this but as gas prices are high and some of our members may be on the cusp of affording the car.. i wanted to let them know it's there.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 PM
anotha

hey fellas with the seat issue im wondering if its something people just seem to find an issue with in the sports or is it in general with the coupe?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

The sports seats are different than the Journey seats, and I believe the sport seats are identical to the sedans.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:21 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I believe the seats are exactly the same
for some reason i thought there was a diff in seats between sport/no sport. someone way back when on another thread said something about his/her head hitting the roof due to the sport seat.. or maybe if was the sunroof.. dont recall.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the write up.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
for some reason i thought there was a diff in seats between sport/no sport. someone way back when on another thread said something about his/her head hitting the roof due to the sport seat.. or maybe if was the sunroof.. dont recall.

John, I started to write that the Sport seats are the same as the sedans as I thought that was the gist of his question, but to the best of my knowledge the Journey and Sport seats are indeed different. I do like the xtra thigh support do-hicky that adjusts forward.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 PM
tjlskyline

The big negative I found is that the rims from my old coupe dont fit the G37. I was pretty disapointed by that. Other than that I've really like it so far.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^Was it due to the calipers?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice revieww..

hey chi town whats that weight reduction kit that you have in your sig.. can you explain and where do you get it
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
sanscu

Okay, besides driving it home from the dealer, I have only spent 30 mins. in the car due to work this weekend. Anyhow, I don't have my own write-up yet, but here's some help for you BostonMerlin on the "don't likes"

1. the trunk is definitely smaller than i'd like but it's a coupe.. duhh..
A. What are you trying to fit in there? My Nike Staff Bag fit in there perfectly, what else do you need :-).

2. taking my 15 month son in and out of the back is hard.. even with those motorized seats.
A. Are you taking the child out in a tight garage setting and/or are the doors "fully" open or "partially" open. Although I feel your pain cause it was tough putting my niece back there when your head keeps touching the ceiling in the back.

3. ipod cable and cup holder were not well thought out (6mt). cant use both at the same time (easily) and because the cable is thick it pops out of the ipod or the car connection too easily.. not all the time.. but will at times.
A. Mine came with a holder inside the armrest that is a perfect fit for the iPod or Gigabeat (including the wire). Thus, I just place the iPod in the holder with wire and shut the armrest for a "perfect" setup.

I am really so tired from work and applying the Vexol cleaner/conditioners today that I haven't had a chance to do anything else today. Will have to wait on my write-up.

Last edited by sanscu; 09-02-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:58 PM
G35_Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John, very good review as usual. I always appreciate your open & honest assessments.

TJLskyline: What size wheels do you have before? I'm curious too as to why they won't fit. Hoping I don't have the same problem. I was told I would have to use spacers. Also today the dealer told me to bring a front & a rear wheel to try on for size before I make the purchase. I thought that was an excellent suggestion. Very nice of him to offer to try them on for size. ;-)

Quick Reply: Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)