G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sanscu
The key fob slot is now starting to make sense since there seems to be a possibility the keys will get "lost" inside the car if not careful.
I don't know if this is true, but there is a story about the BMW driver who drove to the airport with his wife. He stops the car at the terminal. He gets out, gets his luggage and goes into the terminal. His wife gets out of the passenger seat, walks around the car and gets into the driver's seat. His wife then drives off. The car is running this whole time.

His wife stops at a store on the way home. Forgetting she does not have the fob, because it is still in her husband's pants and he is getting on the plane, she turns off the engine and goes into the store. Without a local fob, the car self locks a few minutes after she leaves. She comes out and can't get into the car.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In an Infiniti, you can't drive the car if an Intelligent key isn't within close proximity. At least that's what I have been told.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
drh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkozak
I don't know if this is true, but there is a story about the BMW driver who drove to the airport with his wife. He stops the car at the terminal. He gets out, gets his luggage and goes into the terminal. His wife gets out of the passenger seat, walks around the car and gets into the driver's seat. His wife then drives off. The car is running this whole time.

His wife stops at a store on the way home. Forgetting she does not have the fob, because it is still in her husband's pants and he is getting on the plane, she turns off the engine and goes into the store. Without a local fob, the car self locks a few minutes after she leaves. She comes out and can't get into the car.
A couple things, in reading the G37 Owner's Manual:

1. G37 doors do not automatically lock - so the wife wouldn't get locked out
2. G37 doors will not lock if FOB is detected inside the car - in theory, you can't lock your key fob in the car
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM
dmkozak

Right. I think the point is that a running car will continue to run even if the fob is removed from the car. And, without the fob you can not start the car. So, it is possible for someone to have the fob in their pocket or purse, start the car, leave the car running, and then leave with the fob still in pocket or purse. Since the car is running, someone else can drive it. After the other person drives, parks and turns off the engine, that person (who does not have a fob) will not be able to restart the engine.

At least as this applies to a BMW. If a running Infiniti engine will not continue to run without the fob in the car (which would also be great if you were carjacked), then none of this applies to the G37.

Last edited by dmkozak; 09-09-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^ it runs without the iKey once started. I have walked away from my car several times with it running. It does not self-lock either. This must be done by pressing the door button on the handle or hitting the lock button on the iKey.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:57 PM
drh

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Right. I think the point is that a running car will continue to run even if the fob is removed from the car. And, without the fob you can not start the car. So, it is possible for someone to have the fob in their pocket or purse, start the car, leave the car running, and then leave with the fob still in pocket or purse. Since the car is running, someone else can drive it. After the other person drives, parks and turns off the engine, that person (who does not have a fob) will not be able to restart the engine.

At least as this applies to a BMW. If a running Infiniti engine will not continue to run without the fob in the car (which would also be great if you were carjacked), then none of this applies to the G37.
OK. So this was driving me crazy. So I went outside and tested it. Car running, FOB in my pocket I exited the car, shut the door, walked away (car still running) and the car beeped three times. I got back in the car, left the FOB in the car, exited the car (car still running), walked away, no beeps. So, the car recognizes it is running and the FOB has left the zone - three beeps. Combine this feature with a little common sense and I think anyone would be hard pressed to create this situation.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
ghideon
Premier Member

Has anyone tested trying to drive off in the car without the fob on them?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
gurneyeagle

Originally Posted by drh
OK. So this was driving me crazy. So I went outside and tested it. Car running, FOB in my pocket I exited the car, shut the door, walked away (car still running) and the car beeped three times. I got back in the car, left the FOB in the car, exited the car (car still running), walked away, no beeps. So, the car recognizes it is running and the FOB has left the zone - three beeps. Combine this feature with a little common sense and I think anyone would be hard pressed to create this situation.
That caveat about common sense pretty much blows the premise of bitching about the problem.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
peterbanks

Originally Posted by ghideon
Has anyone tested trying to drive off in the car without the fob on them?
The last time I was at the dealer a couple came in together, the husband got out of the vehicle a QX56 and the wife got into the drivers seat and left, she came back about 10 minutes later saying that the info display on the car kept repeating "No Key". Her husband came out and gave her the key.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
SilkeG

Originally Posted by drh
So this means the example of the wife driving away with the key fob in the husband's pocket on the plane means she should have been aware of the missing key fob because of the beeping as soon as husband left proximity. If it became too late to retrieve fob, she would know not to shutoff until she gets home for the alternate fob.

If there are multiple drivers, both habitually carrying fob makes sense or at least to use the key fob holder in the car.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 PM
tjlskyline

yeah i think the car will run but it wont drive without the key fob in in the car
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
marsb007

Is it too much to remember to give the fob to the person that's going to drive the car??? For me the benefit of not having to use the key (in the old school sense) far outweighs the "what if" scenario!

And for me this is an impossible hypothetical... since no one else will be driving my car...

Last edited by marsb007; 09-09-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
sanscu

Looks like I'm not the only one that couldn't find the dang key fob, skip to about the 3:40 mark to hear a bit about this guy losing it too.

CarReview.com G37 Originally posted by BostonMerlin elsewhere on this forum

My guess, he eventually found it hehe.