G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
lenmacd11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an ironic problem, the curvy road next where I live which was great for a little adrenalin is now way too easy with 4WS. Even right angled corners if taken at speed limit, has the car sliding on all 4's and continuing on.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 PM
ghideon
Premier Member

Originally Posted by peterbanks
Thank You! ghideon I hope you don't mind that I used your pic for this question, but can't you just put the iPod in this compartment?

No prob. That's the place the console I was talking about. The other console infront of that is a much smaller one, which has the cupholders in it. Here's some pics. This is a nano (tried borrowing of my sister's fule size iPod but couldn't get ahold of her):

Old 09-02-2007, 09:30 PM
peterbanks

So I'm assuming that the problem is the iPod is disconnecting while in the compartment?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:44 PM
sanscu

Okay, I see the connectors are different between 5AT (horizontal) an 6MT (vertical). My 5AT has no problem staying connected and I have an iPod mini which is a little bigger than then nano. I am able to place it in the holder (at a right angle) and let the cover down easily without any problems. I took a pic but then accidentally deleted it thinking it was too blurry and of no use.

To echo John, the stereo system in the premiums is AMAZING. I just played some songs out loud (vol. set half way) and the sound was very crisp. NOTE: if you haven't already done so, activate the "Driver Sound System Enhancement" in the settings. I am not sure of exact wording but you will see what I am talking about.

The HD based NAV is superfast to the point that I don't mind the nag screen at startup as much as I did since everything "kicks in" pretty quickly.

I did the Voice Recognition Training and hope that it makes things slightly more accurate. Surprisingly, the hardest word to train was "HELP". Needless to say, I was simply awed by the accuracy of the voice recognition system. It's almost as though it has "clinical precision", that is to say like Dragon's advertised 99% accurate as long as the windows are down and not many other people speaking loudly.

Fooled with CF, but now I have no gizmo in the house that will let me transfer files to a CF card. My Sony SZ is close but no cigar, any ideas out there about a quick upload to a CF card? Thanks.

Last edited by sanscu; 09-02-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 PM
caltender

Originally Posted by sanscu
Okay, I see the connectors are different between 5AT (horizontal) an 6MT (vertical). My 5AT has no problem staying connected and I have an iPod mini which is a little bigger than then nano. I am able to place it in the holder (at a right angle) and let the cover down easily without any problems. I took a pic but then accidentally deleted it thinking it was too blurry and of no use.

To echo John, the stereo system in the premiums is AMAZING. I just played some songs out loud (vol. set half way) and the sound was very crisp. NOTE: if you haven't already done so, activate the "Driver Sound System Enhancement" in the settings. I am not sure of exact wording but you will see what I am talking about.

The HD based NAV is superfast to the point that I don't mind the nag screen at startup as much as I did since everything "kicks in" pretty quickly.

I did the Voice Recognition Training and hope that it makes things slightly more accurate. Surprisingly, the hardest word to train was "HELP". Needless to say, I was simply awed by the accuracy of the voice recognition system. It's almost as though it has "clinical precision", that is to say like Dragon's advertised 99% accurate as long as the windows are down and not many other people speaking loudly.

Fooled with CF, but now I have no gizmo in the house that will let me transfer files to a CF card. My Sony SZ is close but no cigar, any ideas out there about a quick upload to a CF card? Thanks.
They make a little flash card reader that simply plugs into your USB port and inserts a CF in the other side. Very inexpensive and simple.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:57 PM
ghideon
Premier Member

Also, if you have a laptop, you can get the PCMCIA to CF adapters. $20 or less.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the Voice Recognition Training and hope that it makes things slightly more accurate. Surprisingly, the hardest word to train was "HELP".
LMAO. dude, i was like, "heeeeeelp". it kept saying that i was too fast.

EDIT: just a minor update. one of the points in my list can be deleted. i went to the dealership and demonstrated the ipod cable loose connection problem. we snagged a cable from another car and it has NO problems. problem solved.

here's an assignment for everyone..

go to your car with it off. press the Volume down switch on the steering wheel. press it all the way in then let it go... does it make a 'click' noise like it gets stuck or something? i showed this to my dealer and he said "that's odd". then we checked two other cars on the lot and they did the same damn thing. no other button on the wheel or anywhere else does this. certainly can't be by design.

also... bad news... heard a slight rattle at about 80mpg today. fiance and i both heard it when going over bumps. most likely, the window tint guys are to blame as it sounds as though it's coming from the drivers door panel.

Last edited by finagle69; 09-02-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:11 PM
XenChi

All you need is one of these.....
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/danusbcomfla.html

Your local Compusa, Best Buy, or Circuit City should have these readily available. Best of luck.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:22 AM
ghideon
Premier Member

One minor gripe.

The MPG bar in the LED display between the gauges goes to 60mpg. I'd prefer if the scale were smaller, say up to 30 like the main display for fuel efficiency. The only time I'm going to be at 30mpg is if my foot's off the gas or it's on the clutch. Anyone find out yet what the best speed is in 6th gear for fuel efficiency? I have a road trip coming up.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:19 PM
eldy

What about having to press the button on the door handle to lock and unlock the car? It would have been much nicer if the actual handle was all you had to touch.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
gurneyeagle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I've spent a few days with the car now, and after washing it, I've got some observations:

- rock solid ride, no rattles
- super steering feel
- love the seats; sorry Merlin I fit fine!
- killer audio
- I'm having fun with the nav!
- love the lines, especially the profile and rear
- love the wheels
- the leather is incredible and I love the stitching on the seats
- the steering wheel is the perfect size - not too fat, not too skinny

Disappointments and these are minor annoyances

- cruise control has to be turned on after each start
- side mirrors don't point down in reverse (helps avoid high curbs)
- no auto-lock of the doors
Those were all on my Hondas and Acuras

- the wheels are a bitch to clean!
- the fake front air ducts will be a bitch to clean the bugs out of
- the nose of the car seems a little flat
- impossible to see out of the back (thank god for the camera)
- massive blind spot driver's side rear (a small spot mirror solved that)

Obviously, these are petty problems that come no where near overshadowing how great the car is. I bought my first car in 1975 (okay you young punks, stop the snickering and show an old man a little respect!), and without a doubt this is the best car I have ever owned!

You really get an appreciation for a car's lines by handwashing it. Today, I was almost in awe of how beautiful this car really is. I have always loved the G35 Coupe, but I think the G37 is even prettier.

I'm getting a new Blackberry next week, so I'm anxious to try the Bluetooth feature.

I find myself needing to go in the garage a lot more often since I've picked my G up!

-
Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 PM
ABQG35c

For the rims and the bugs on the front grille, you could use a pressure washer to help. It'll also just help keeping the grine off the car. Also if you dont have already, buy a Clay Bar. This will take the dirt out of little areas to prevent rust and other stuff, just in case. Also makes some rough areas very smooth (dirt embedded in the clear)
Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 PM
sanscu

Alright, got 500 miles on it now. I still haven't washed after the dealer and not sure if it is necessary but any bug smash gets wiped down with a microfiber cloth and the Zaino suite is in my garage ready to go.

Some practical observations on my part,

1. The points on this car being rock solid, rattle free are absolutely TRUE.
2. The points on Stereo system and many diff. options for music are TRUE and INCREDIBLY RICH.
3. The points on interior refinements are VERY TRUE.
4. The points on back-up camera and ICC are AWESOME. Great utilities to have.

Of course, now the nit-picky stuff

1. The door storage compartment is not "long" enough for 8.5in x 12in or a Road Map (eg State Farm) and/or doesn't pop out like the FX compartment does to fit a lot of stuff in there. But, the bottle holder is way kewl.

2. The HD NAV is superb at many different levels, learning new stuff everyday as well as I drive, and I haven't even had a chance to try NAV-Traffic living in the burbs. BUT, the pan and scan is very slow when the car is in motion (a security feature?)

3. This afternoon, the key fob fell out of my pocket while driving and ended up under the driver seat (although I didn't know it). So I got out to buy groceries and could not for the world of me find the key fob. I looked for 5 mins on the seat, in my pockets (4-5 times) but nothing. Then the FX knowledge kicked in and I was like, HOW IN THE HECK DOES THE CAR RUN IF NO KEY IS AROUND? Also, the No KEY indicator was not on the LCD Screen.
So, I proceed to leave engine running and walk away from the car (probably risky for you guys in New York City) but no beep. So now, the key fob has to be in the car and final test is to close the door and press the door button and a steady, constant beep means KEYS IN CAR. Another 5 mins and I was able to "feel" the key fob under the driver seat but not see it. Thus, from now on the key fob needs to be "Pinned" on person somehow.

4. There is no MUTE or PAUSE button for the AUDIO system. Also, no option to scroll through songs and then select one from CD MENU or CF Menu. That is, each time you highlight a song with up/down arrows, it starts to play.

All these points are so minor for me compared to the enjoyment I am getting from everything else that no matter what happens at this point, this one's a keeper.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2. The HD NAV is superb at many different levels, learning new stuff everyday as well as I drive, and I haven't even had a chance to try NAV-Traffic living in the burbs. BUT, the pan and scan is very slow when the car is in motion (a security feature?)

3. This afternoon, the key fob fell out of my pocket while driving and ended up under the driver seat (although I didn't know it). So I got out to buy groceries and could not for the world of me find the key fob. I looked for 5 mins on the seat, in my pockets (4-5 times) but nothing. Then the FX knowledge kicked in and I was like, HOW IN THE HECK DOES THE CAR RUN IF NO KEY IS AROUND? Also, the No KEY indicator was not on the LCD Screen.
So, I proceed to leave engine running and walk away from the car (probably risky for you guys in New York City) but no beep. So now, the key fob has to be in the car and final test is to close the door and press the door button and a steady, constant beep means KEYS IN CAR. Another 5 mins and I was able to "feel" the key fob under the driver seat but not see it. Thus, from now on the key fob needs to be "Pinned" on person somehow.

2. Turn off latitude/longitude setting.

3. Place the Intelligent key into the slot on the left side of the steering wheel.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:57 AM
sanscu

Thanks likwidfuzion. The key fob slot is now starting to make sense since there seems to be a possibility the keys will get "lost" inside the car if not careful. The LAT/Long setting is off, but I figured out no matter what, while driving pan and scan is not as fast as at a stand still.

Quick Reply: Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)