G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
nice revieww..

hey chi town whats that weight reduction kit that you have in your sig.. can you explain and where do you get it
Vinny, that's a joke that goes way back when we were discussing BMW and Infiniti weights and it always seemed that BMW undersized their HP and weight to make it seem like they were producing these fast cars that.... ah, nevermind..... now I've confused myself.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:00 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

I agree with the arm rest issue I am 6' 2" and again unless the seat is all the way back I cannot rest my elbow. I was looking for it to extend up like my 03 Maxima.
I just Ordered My G37 today and expect delivery mid november it is a sport coupe A/T black on Black.
Once I get it and Drive it I will be eager to post more opinions. But I am sure I will not be disapointed. This wil be my First infiniti but I have been a Nissan fan since the Datsun 510.
I am glad i found this forme to have like minded people able to express their opinions on one of the nicest sports cars around for its price.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:10 AM
tjlskyline

Yeah, my dealer swore they would fit too. I would have bought the car anyway. But when I took them to the local tire place today to see if they would fit apparently there was some extra bolt that wouldn't allow for them to be installed properly. He said that they may be able to take that off, but they weren't sure what it was there for.
I guess the tire sensors won't work either...
They are 19x8.5 and 19x10 in the rear. They didn't even put them on so I don't know if the calipers will fit either.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Great review John. Your reviews are always very fair and objective.

I plan to coat the alluminum door handles with a clear applique. Are they not metal(?) or is it metal but it justscratches easily?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 AM
nsv

BostonMerlin, do you mind snapping some pictures of the clutch? I just wanted to see where it was placed. I went to the local dealership but they didn't have any 6mt in stock.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 AM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phew... i thought it was just my fat *** that wouldn't fit in those seats...

In all reality, even at the loosest setting, they're still very narrow. This makes it also very interesting to get in/out of the car.

The Ipod cable/center console is a joke. Seriously!!! I dont even know how that's a center console. Would it have reaaaally hurt them to make that the same, and have another compartment on top of it, with a dual button, each opening either the top or bottom compartment? I'm sure this would have helped the taller people too...

Automatic windshield wipers...

Tire pressure monitoring system... I didn't see whether it was listed anywhere... but it doesn't display the actual pressures of the tires. I'm guessing it's just the one sign leaving it to the driver to figure out which one of the four tires is low...

Paddle shifters are too thin. The Maserati we have has some meaty ones, that you would actually find without a problem. I feel that in sporty driving in this car I might break one off...

Sunglass holder is very shallow.

Fog lights... not that there's a lot of fog in S. Florida, but some people might like the double light look... are not in the usual location. They actually are located within the headlight assembly...

Keyfob is retarded... if you want to lock your trunk/glovebox and give your keys to a valet (i know... what am I doing giving it to a valet??? unfortunate, but it will happen), where are they going to place the ring with the tag??? The key that you keep has that on it... simply retarded...

I'm sure i'll think of more things as I keep on driving... Overall, very pleased with the overall package... these are just very minor gripes I have, which for the most part do not deter me from recommending it to anyone.

As far as the backseat/trunk lack of area... if you're complaining about it, return your car to the dealer and get a sedan... you obviously need more room... "here's your sign" (some of you might get it, some might not...)
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
joshknot

Originally Posted by tjlskyline
Yeah, my dealer swore they would fit too. I would have bought the car anyway. But when I took them to the local tire place today to see if they would fit apparently there was some extra bolt that wouldn't allow for them to be installed properly. He said that they may be able to take that off, but they weren't sure what it was there for.
They are 19x8.5 and 19x10 in the rear. They didn't even put them on so I don't know if the calipers will fit either.
That bolt was present on the previous generation coupe as well, only on the front rotor. It's only there to keep people from absentmindedly putting the wider rear wheels on the front. Take the car and wheels back to the shop and have them pull the bolt out, it serves no other purpose than an idiot-check. Anybody driving around with aftermarket wheels on their G has had this exact problem, remedied by just removing the bolt.

Good luck- hope that makes your day a bit happier.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 AM
mal_TX

What about automatic windshield wipers? The g37 doesn't have those, does it?

Originally Posted by marsb007
phew... i thought it was just my fat *** that wouldn't fit in those seats...

In all reality, even at the loosest setting, they're still very narrow. This makes it also very interesting to get in/out of the car.

The Ipod cable/center console is a joke. Seriously!!! I dont even know how that's a center console. Would it have reaaaally hurt them to make that the same, and have another compartment on top of it, with a dual button, each opening either the top or bottom compartment? I'm sure this would have helped the taller people too...

Automatic windshield wipers...

Tire pressure monitoring system... I didn't see whether it was listed anywhere... but it doesn't display the actual pressures of the tires. I'm guessing it's just the one sign leaving it to the driver to figure out which one of the four tires is low...

Paddle shifters are too thin. The Maserati we have has some meaty ones, that you would actually find without a problem. I feel that in sporty driving in this car I might break one off...

Sunglass holder is very shallow.

Fog lights... not that there's a lot of fog in S. Florida, but some people might like the double light look... are not in the usual location. They actually are located within the headlight assembly...

Keyfob is retarded... if you want to lock your trunk/glovebox and give your keys to a valet (i know... what am I doing giving it to a valet??? unfortunate, but it will happen), where are they going to place the ring with the tag??? The key that you keep has that on it... simply retarded...

I'm sure i'll think of more things as I keep on driving... Overall, very pleased with the overall package... these are just very minor gripes I have, which for the most part do not deter me from recommending it to anyone.

As far as the backseat/trunk lack of area... if you're complaining about it, return your car to the dealer and get a sedan... you obviously need more room... "here's your sign" (some of you might get it, some might not...)
Old 09-02-2007, 11:04 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Regarding the extra bolt, I believe what you're talking about is the bolt sticking out along with the rear wheel lugs. I know it's there to prevent rotating the rear wheels to the front and vice-versa. (because they have different widths and offsets).
I'm surprised the guys at the tire place don't know what it's for. (I guess they haven't worked on many G's before) You can just saw that off without any problems (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
and regarding the tire pressure sensors, IDK much about it.

And regarding the narrow sports seats, you guys really have me worried, worried that my a$$ won't fit in them. I'm 6'1" and am not skinny. Oh well, I guess I'll wait until I actually sit in it.

Last edited by myk1013; 09-02-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
joshknot

Originally Posted by myk1013
Regarding the extra bolt...You can just saw that off without any problems (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
Much better than sawing it off, you can actually just unscrew it. If memory serves me correctly it's a 12mm hex bolt, but my memory often doesn't serve me at all...

Either way- takes just a second to pull it out. Have fun, tjlskyline- be sure to throw up pics once the new wheels are on.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by mal_TX
What about automatic windshield wipers? The g37 doesn't have those, does it?
The wipers are "speed sensitive"(the faster you go the faster they go), but do not come on by themselves ala "rain sensing". I use rainx and that stuff works so well I hardly ever use my wipers. The water just flys off the windshield (well, as long as you're moving )
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
tjlskyline

awesome thanks, so what about the tire sensor? Just roll with it off or what?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 PM
joshknot

awesome thanks, so what about the tire sensor? Just roll with it off or what?
You've got a few options- the best (and most expensive) would be to buy TPMS sensors for your aftermarket wheels and have them mounted. Once they're on you'll need to pay the dealer to 're-pair' your new sensors to your car.

Or you do like I did all winter and ignore the light on the dash, periodically checking the pressure with a tire gauge.

I've actually heard of people going so far as to pull the bulb in their dash cluster that illuminates the TPMS warning light, but that seems a bit ridiculous.

Anyhow, your call either way- if you've got the $$$ new sensors would be the "best" solution.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dislike:

-thigh support needs to be broken in (sport). i can feel it relaxing as the days go by
-ipod cable loses connection too easily while driving. seriously, this happens a couple of times a day
-iphone can't send contacts. (not car's fault, but i still don't like it)
-seat heaters don't work correctly (i smell TSB)

Old 09-02-2007, 02:48 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Vinny, that's a joke that goes way back when we were discussing BMW and Infiniti weights and it always seemed that BMW undersized their HP and weight to make it seem like they were producing these fast cars that.... ah, nevermind..... now I've confused myself.
lol my bad i didnt catch on.. which i should have bc it says something about GERMAN SALES...

weight reduction kit is a good idea maybe we could use it like 3 or 4 times and we would b on about the right scale of a sport coupe.. lol

Quick Reply: Living with your new G37 (the good the bad and the ugly)