G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Future G37 owners in snow states

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
blizzak lm22's FTW! w/ the VDC it does improve tremendously... had to test them going up and down some steep hills .... yes trouble in some spots but you'd be impressed how much it helps
Old 09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a question. do everyone get all four tires swapped or just the rears?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All four. You'll want winter tires on the front as well for braking in slippery conditions.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Juan-g35

just throw on some dunlop sp winter sport m3 tires and you're good to go. those tires eat thru snow like no other. best snow tires i've ever had
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
bostonmerlin

looks like i'm planning to buy dedicated snow tires for my car.. still might get a jeep for the winter months.. but want snow tires on there.

I ran through the tirerack wizard.. in the end for 18" wheels and blizzak tires + pressure monitors it'll run about $1,600. I've never ordered anything from tirerack. How easy is it to install those tires with pressure monitors? is this a do-it-yourself job or need to have a tire shop install? For those of you who change summers to winters whats your procedure each year? I'll probably get the covers for those tires to keep them from getting messed up in the garage as well.

anyone see anything wrong with this setup from tirerack? i assume 18" dedicated wheel and tires plus pressure monitor. I have stock 19"s on my g37 sport now.. any problem throwing 18's on there?

Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

18x8 Sport Edition E1 Bright Silver Paint
In Stock 4 $132.00 $528.00
225/50HR18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
Blackwall In Stock 4 $179.00 $716.00
TPMS VALVE SENSOR
In Stock 4 $87.00 $348.00
TPMS VALVE NUT
In Stock 4 $7.50 $30.00
Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing
FREE! FREE!

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 09-01-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

John, the setup looks fine, and you'll find the Blizzaks are worth every penny. One thing though, I wouldn't bother with the TPMS. IMO, it's not worth the extra money on a winter setup, and I honestly haven't heard of one person that bothers to run TPMS on their winter wheels. Also, I would definitely check out the Marketplace over on Driver as you can find some great deals on there.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Totally agree with Garnet. Blow off the TPMS and just ignore the warning during the winter months. I paid around $1300 for my last winter tire setup like yours(Wheels and tires) from Tirerack for my C32 and they come mounted and ready to throw on. Buying a used set from someone with decent wheel life and maybe one/two seasons on the tires is another way to get a great deal. The used ones will usually have some curb rash.....it comes with the territory of "fast car-bad weather".

I'm parking mine more because of the salt and the harm a couple of seasons can do to the finish. In Chicago they use salt when it's thinking of snowing...
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Michelin

Go with Winter tires. Look to see if you can still get michelin piolt alpins. I currently run them on my 03 Maxima for my Wife and she drives 300km aa day and I live in northeren Canada. I am getting my g37 in mid Nov. And plan on getting pilot alpens for it for winter with steel rims. I used to work at the Michelin tire plant in Nova Scotia Canada and let me tell you the pilot alpins are the best cross between sport and snow, becuse tets faceit you will have dry pavement at some point over the winter and you don't want a totally mushy tire on your sports car.

Last edited by shumby; 09-01-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by shumby
Go with Winter tires. Look to see if you can still get michelin piolt alpins. I currently run them on my 03 Maxima for my Wife and she drives 300km aa day and I live in northeren Canada. I am getting my g37 in mid Nov. And plan on getting pilot alpens for it for winter with steel rims. I used to work at the Michelin tire plant in Nova Scotia Canada and let me tell you the pilot alpins are the best cross between sport and snow, becuse tets faceit you will have dry pavement at some point over the winter and you don't want a totally mushy tire on your sports car.
this brings up a good point. how important is it to have a pure winter tire vs a performance/winter tire? On those days it snows and i have my G i dont ever want to worry about getting home.. but at the same time from dec-march i can expect maybe a dozen days of snow on the streets before they're cleared. The rest of those days will just be cold on dry pavement (boston)
Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^My last set were Dunlop M2 which was the recommended performance winter tire by Porsche. I am certainly not a snow tire expert, but I would pay for the performance winter tire on this car as you will have plenty of days when you may want to run it hard and it will be cold but dry. My experience with the mileage on these has been terrible and if you get three seasons on them you are doing better than I ever did.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 PM
evicid

The first year I had my 350Z I didn't have snow tires, and slid all over the place. The next winter, I bought a set of Blizzaks and extra rims and it made a HUGE difference. I highly recommend getting Blizzaks, and using them for the few months when there could be snow (here in NJ that's Dec-Mar). Even though I'm selling the Z now, I'm keeping the extra set of rims/snow tires and using them on my new G37.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:37 AM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by evicid
The first year I had my 350Z I didn't have snow tires, and slid all over the place. The next winter, I bought a set of Blizzaks and extra rims and it made a HUGE difference. I highly recommend getting Blizzaks, and using them for the few months when there could be snow (here in NJ that's Dec-Mar). Even though I'm selling the Z now, I'm keeping the extra set of rims/snow tires and using them on my new G37.
you might want to check with tlskyline as his g35 rims would not fit on his g37.. it might just be a specific set he owns but none the less check this thread out just in case ...
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/173995-living-with-your-new-g37-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.html
Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wrestling with the same problem: how to drive a G37 6 speed in the winter?

I live near Philadelphia, and have always been able to get through the winters (past 20 years) just fine with good all-season tires (Avon Tech M550's have been my favorite; you really don't loose much real-world dry traction performance with them, but they make a world of difference in the rain and snow, up to a few inches). I tried the first winter with my 04 G35 coupe and the stock summer Michelins, and it was absolutely impossible in the snow, I couldn't even get the car going on level ground with 2 in of unplowed snow. The Avon Tech M550's made it perfectly fine through 3 Philadelphia winters with the G35.

I was hoping to get the Avon M550's for the 19 in Sport wheels, but they do not come in that size. I searched extensively, but no one makes a matched set of all-season tires in the 19 in size for the Sport (225/45-19 front and 245/40-19 rear). Michelin makes a set for the rear size and Goodyear for the front, but no one manufacturer makes a complete set.

As a result, I was originally planning on having the dealer swap the 19 in Sport wheels for the 18 in base wheels (which come with all-season tires, and I like the style of the double 5-spoke 18 in wheel better), but just heard from a dealer that the larger brake discs on the Sport (14 in front and 13.8 in rear, vs. 13 in all around on the base models) will interfere with an 18 in wheel size on Sport models. I haven't tried installing an 18 in wheel on the Sport myself, but take the dealer's word for it that only a 19 in wheel will fit.

If actually true, this throws a big wrench both into the possibility of using the standard 18 in wheels on the Sport, and also eliminates the possibility of buying a spare set of 18 in wheels with dedicated snow tires, since it seems only 19 in wheels will fit on the Sport. There don't seem to be any sets of all-season tires in even remotely close or compatible sizes available from anyone, and mixing tires from different manufacturers (Michelin and Goodyear) would probably be OK for slow speed driving, but not a good idea in general (different tread patterns, sidewall stiffness, traction, etc.).

I contacted all the major manufacturers (Avon, Michelin, Goodyear, Goodrich, Pirelli), as well as tirerack.com, asking whether any all-season tires in the G37's 19 in size are planned. All the companies told me "not at this time". I personally suspect that in a few years, when there are more G37's on the road, and they start wearing out tires and need replacements, someone will do it, but probably not for a few years.

I'm in a quandry now, and don't know what to do. I have a G37 Sport 6 speed on order, it's supposed to arrive later this month. But, I don't want to buy the car if it means I literally need to buy another car for the winter (my other car is a Porsche Boxster, and the G37 was supposed to be the "practical" car to drive year-round.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Nick-L
As a result, I was originally planning on having the dealer swap the 19 in Sport wheels for the 18 in base wheels (which come with all-season tires, and I like the style of the double 5-spoke 18 in wheel better), but just heard from a dealer that the larger brake discs on the Sport (14 in front and 13.8 in rear, vs. 13 in all around on the base models) will interfere with an 18 in wheel size on Sport models. I haven't tried installing an 18 in wheel on the Sport myself, but take the dealer's word for it that only a 19 in wheel will fit.
Your dealer is mistaken, 18's will clear the calipers just fine.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Techuinang

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Your dealer is mistaken, 18's will clear the calipers just fine.
Hey Garnet, got any source on that? Not that I don't believe you but you can never be too sure.

Quick Reply: Future G37 owners in snow states