Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
bostonmerlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
article - TBWA\C\D Launches Infiniti G37 Coupe

http://www.adweek.com/aw/news/articl..._id=1003631693

TBWA\C\D Launches Infiniti G Coupe
August 27, 2007
By Gregory Solman

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width=10 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=10 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>
Rich colors define TBWA\C\D's Infiniti G Coupe launch.</PHOTO_CAPTIONS>
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#666666 height=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LOS ANGELES To craft launch ads for the Infiniti G Coupe, Dennis Lim looked to Nissan's engineers and designers for inspiration.

"We knew we'd want to capture acceleration and the sensuous design of the car," said Lim, the lead cd on Ininiti at TBWA\Chiat\Day.

The 330-horsepower sports car premiers with a lavish print push and a 30-second TV spot along with a video clip running exclusively on the G Coupe microsite.

<!--startclickprintexclude-->
<!-- begin ad //--><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>CM8ShowAd("Middle");</SCRIPT><!-- end generated ad //-->
<!--endclickprintexclude-->Using the red silk background, a leitmotif of the previous Infiniti campaign, the broadcast spot, "Power," reveals a road amid a lush green field as the G Coupe seems to materialize out of undulating streaks of light. The voiceover says, "It turns every drop of fuel into pure adrenaline."

The spot running on the microsite ("Steering") emphasizes "agility captured," in the words of the voiceover, "by four wheels that steer so that cornering is more precise." The wheels of G Coupe seem to radiate concentric circles of light. A third spot, featuring the VQVVEL (V-valve) technology, is in the approval stage.

"The original idea was to just show the car, but we migrated to showing the car move," said Lim, who added that the art direction of the television spot was keyed to Japanese movies use of rich color fields. "The transition from the red room to an almost fantasy green fields is an example of 'dynamic adeyaka, which translates, a 'bewitching use of rich color.' It's not just a look, but a feel."

Lim said the creative team tested a hero car that had a shade of plum, but it wasn't imaging as well as the silver car featured in all the print and broadcast executions. The spots were directed by Tarsem through @radicalmedia, Los Angeles. Lim worked with Bob Rayburn (art) and Patrick Condo (copy) as well as designer Erik Miller on the entire campaign.

Carl Phillips, Infiniti senior manager of marketing communications, Nashville, said that the strategic approach differs from previous campaigns because the company will also target women. "It's not about repositioning but communicating in their [women's] language," he said.

Nashville, Tenn.-based Nissan spent $250 million advertising Infiniti last year, $110 million through June 2007, according to Nielsen Monitor-Plus. The brand is up 7 percent through July to more than 73,000 units, per Car Concepts, Thousand Oaks, Calif., but in anticipation of the G Coupe introduction, the G35 Coupe is down 40 percent on the year.

<!--endclickprintinclude-->
Old 08-27-2007, 07:37 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
nice. i saw the second half of that commercial this morning!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet. I've yet to see any G37 commercials yet, but I am looking forward to seeing them.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM
F1BY1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure anyone noticed this presentation Infiniti must have made to its dealer network back in July. Here is the link to the video on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktBkyTtIrs.

Their competitive market for coupes includes the Mercedes CLK, Audi TT and of course the BMW 335i. The video shows that the G35 demographics had a lower median age (47) vs the others and a more male focused penetration (over 70%), no pun intended! Further, they expect with the new G37 introduction, that more females will buy the car and shift the demographic closer to 60/40. Yet their 'strategic handle' or theme for the G37 is 'Intense Performance'! Hmmm, I test drove one this weekend, and the car was refined etc, but I wouldn't say intense performance entered my mind at all. Hmmm.

A few interesting comments about the resources Infiniti would be providing the dealer network: intense training of the sales force (the guy I talked to did not know half as much about the car as I, this past weekend) and side by side test drives by the dealers with a G37 and a 'traveling' BMW 335i for comparison. Again the sales rep I spoke to, did not know the competition well at all, as I had test driven the BMW last fall, and still remembered more of the specifications than he did. Wondering if Infiniti is getting a payback on its training and marketing dollars?

Lastly, expectations were that all 2000 first issue cars would be sold the first week of introduction, i.e. August 21. I know in St. Louis there are about a dozen unclaimed, including 6 sp manuals too.