G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1st test drive by the troll of the forum..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st test drive by the troll of the forum..

Many of you have seen me talk about the G37 and rag on its looks and weight. Quite often though I mentioned I had hoped I was wrong.

I test drove a black on black G37S today at West Houston Infiniti. While I want the MT this was an auto. I did test drive the 07 G35 in MT and auto last November though.

Well, despite my comments all over the place ******* the G37 I really, really was hoping to like the car. Unfortunately, I think I am more disappointed than I had imagined possible.

#1 - whoever tells you the car looks better in person - sorry, no way. The car looks better in pictures. Well, most of the "good" pics you see out there. The G37 is very "blah". Nothing unique. Nothing special. Nothing stands out. And, even worse, it is FEMININE looking. The sales guy there even mentioned they were getting a LOT more calls from women for the G37 than they ever did for the G35, though I am not sure if that is just because it is a new car, etc.

#2 As far as performance, Houston has few good roads to drive and I was unimpressed with the little bit I drove. I am sure the handling is nice and all but the acceleration was weak. Honestly I recall the 07 G35 sedan to "feel" quicker.

Also, the headroom, even for the driver, SUCKS! I am 6 feet tall and even with the seat down all the way I could feel my hair touching the ceiling. Infiniti should allow a loaded coupe without the sunroof.

I am sure many will disagree with my sentiments but they are just my opinions. I still think Infiniti blew it with this car, but maybe sales will say otherwise..

Last edited by jnmunsey; 08-10-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
sanscu

How'd you like the interior?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Disasterpiece

Wow, you just went against what just about everybody else said on this forum lol..
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 PM
N50

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
Many of you have seen me talk about the G37 and rag on its looks and weight. Quite often though I mentioned I had hoped I was wrong.

I test drove a black on black G37S today at West Houston Infiniti. While I want the MT this was an auto. I did test drive the 07 G35 in MT and auto last November though.

Well, despite my comments all over the place ******* the G37 I really, really was hoping to like the car. Unfortunately, I think I am more disappointed than I had imagined possible.

#1 - whoever tells you the car looks better in person - sorry, no way. The car looks better in pictures. Well, most of the "good" pics you see out there. The G37 is very "blah". Nothing unique. Nothing special. Nothing stands out. And, even worse, it is FEMININE looking. The sales guy there even mentioned they were getting a LOT more calls for the G37 than they ever did for the G35, though I am not sure if that is just because it is a new car, etc.

#2 As far as performance, Houston has few good roads to drive and I was unimpressed with the little bit I drove. I am sure the handling is nice and all but the acceleration was weak. Honestly I recall the 07 G35 sedan to "feel" quicker.

Also, the headroom, even for the driver, SUCKS! I am 6 feet tall and even with the seat down all the way I could feel my hair touching the ceiling. Infiniti should allow a loaded coupe without the sunroof.

I am sure many will disagree with my sentiments but they are just my opinions. I still think Infiniti blew it with this car, but maybe sales will say otherwise..
Others may disagree with you on the looks but I think the rest of your review is pretty accurate and seems to jive with other's reviews. I don't know that Infiniti "blew it" with this car, but, only time will tell.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
N50

Originally Posted by Disasterpiece
Wow, you just went against what just about everybody else said on this forum lol..
No, actually I think others have complained about the headroom and the lack of break neck acceleration. I pretty sure that other people have also said the G35 sedan "felt" faster.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Disasterpiece

Originally Posted by N50
No, actually I think others have complained about the headroom and the lack of break neck acceleration. I pretty sure that other people have also said the G35 sedan "felt" faster.
But EVERYBODY said it looked better in person
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Disasterpiece

Originally Posted by N50
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
N50

Originally Posted by Disasterpiece
LOL, yeah just about.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

#1 - whoever tells you the car looks better in person - sorry, no way. The car looks better in pictures. Well, most of the "good" pics you see out there. The G37 is very "blah". Nothing unique. Nothing special. Nothing stands out. And, even worse, it is FEMININE looking. The sales guy there even mentioned they were getting a LOT more calls for the G37 than they ever did for the G35, though I am not sure if that is just because it is a new car, etc.

So I assume you wont be around here anymore?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Orbie

No worries jnmunsey, at least you kept your review civil and logical which I think everyone can appreciate. I for one like to hear different opinions if they are backed by logical reasoning. I'm sure Infiniti would love to make every customer happy but unfortunately that's impossible.

Your first point is mostly subjective, so that explains why you may disagree with most people saying it looks better in person. There is no way any one manufacturer can satisfy the aesthetic tastes of every person on earth, but they seem to be doing a very good job so far.

I did just read a review posted on this board of someone 6'3" who thought there was enough headroom, so not sure what to think there. But people can be taller in the torso or legs so even two people who are 6' could fit very differently in this car.

At least you gave the car a fair chance, now you know you can move on to a 335 or Corvette without looking back. Have fun with whatever your next car may be
Old 08-10-2007, 12:58 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

the headroom issue is basically only for part of my head - the "edge" of the sunroof dips down. I had a few inches except right at that spot I could feel my hair and my hair is not "big".

The car isn't bad looking, just kinda ho-hum. There is nothing wrong with that normally but this is the G37, not a Ford Taurus.. We should expect something that stands out a little more, unless Infiniti was trying to do otherwise. Often cars that "stand out" don't appeal to as broad an audience imo.

oh the interior? Just fine. I don't care for the LCD screen. I like a classic, simple design. I don't need all the fancy stuff, or if I do have it I want it to be conspicuous. The dash is very busy but manages to be as good as a busy dash can be. My mom would hate a dash like that though. She can't even use the remote to get a DVD going.. I don't like the light/white stitching on the black leather. If you are gonna do black seats, the should be all black.

I kinda left it out above but the sales guy said lots of women were calling for the G37 - and this seemed to surprise him a little.

As far as performance, again I had little to go one and the sales guy was with me and it was rush hour so I only got it up to 45 or so, which really isn't fair. The numbers don't lie - 14 second 1/4 miles are nothing to sneer at, as average as that may be these days.

I hope all of you enjoy your G37s and I hope there aren't a lot of 1st model year problems. I am looking forward to the sedan come November, hopefully with the updated MT and iPod dock. Next Spring however I should be getting the GTR if my local dealer keeps his promise. Free rides to anyone in my town if they want.. heck maybe I'll even let you drive it.

Last edited by jnmunsey; 08-10-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Jeff92se

So what are you going to get?

Off hand, I find it unusal to write such an elaborate post about a car I was't enamored with.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 AM
bostonmerlin

I respect the OP's opinion. it's an open forum and he's pointing out those areas that don't work for him. I've never heard anyone complain about the navigation screen or stitching though and that comment about "we should expect infiniti to blah blah blah" is irrelevant. I dont expect Infiniti to do anything.. if what they build and sell looks good to me.. fits my lifestyle.. i'll get it.. otherwise move on (which he is doing). I don't care about how it compares to the g35.. i owned a g35c.. i dont want another g35.. i wouldn't buy another g35.. but did i love that car? oh yea! This car looks mighty nice when you stop comparing it to something else.

We're seeing more and more posts like this though..

The car is beautiful. I was kind of disappointed after seeing the pictures online, but after seeing it in person and seeing it next to an 07 G I couldn't say no. I used to think my old G was a great looking car, but the G37 is sick.
I'll try and stop by the dealership tomorrow and take some pix.

so who's right? the OP or this guy in the quote above? of course both of them are. this forum is slowly turning into the g37 enthusiasts forum many of us have been waiting for. as others have said over and over ad nauseum.. most car forums go through this when new revs of a car are released.. shocked by the changes many owners/enthusiasts are upset by what the car was.. and what they wanted it to be. The car looks great to me though.. is it perfect? no way.. are there things i'd like to change? yes.. but can i live with some of the things i don't like.. of course! Just as long as there are more things i like than don't like.

These car companies have to design a car that'll appeal to the masses for the next three to five years... sometimes making changes the market will eventually grow to like. Just as bangle threw a monkey wrench into the design of bmws..many more people like his designs today than they did when they were first introduced.

If you focus on the g35 coupe today many might fault it's "racer-boy" like looks (i.e. no class), funny bubble like headlights, big rear-end, lack of space, lack of headroom, noisy shifter, easy-to-scratch pieces (i.e. sub-par interior) or the silly round clock or the pop-up-toaster-nav-screen or the lack of overall refinement etc. For many.. those negatives are a show-stopper.. for others.. theres just enough things they like about it to keep them happy.

All I'm saying here (long story longer) is to not let others sway your opinion. Go see it in person....

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 08-10-2007 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 AM
FAST1

All I'm saying here (long story longer) is to not let others sway your opinion. Go see it in person....

I couldn't agree more. Every car has its detractors, and there's nothing wrong with that. The important thing is to buy a car that you like, and don't be concerned with what others think.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 AM
UltimateGee27

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

#1 - whoever tells you the car looks better in person - sorry, no way. The car looks better in pictures. Well, most of the "good" pics you see out there. The G37 is very "blah". Nothing unique. Nothing special. Nothing stands out. And, even worse, it is FEMININE looking. The sales guy there even mentioned they were getting a LOT more calls from women for the G37 than they ever did for the G35, though I am not sure if that is just because it is a new car, etc.

You all see???? this guy feels the same exact way as i do....and you all hate on me...i love Infiniti but the G37 GETS A BIG THUMBS DOWN.

Quick Reply: 1st test drive by the troll of the forum..