Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Motor Trend 335i vs G37 Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM
picus112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fabulustt7
the 335 without turbos would be a 328 most likely. i highly doubt they use a different engine with those turbos. i think the 328 does 230 hp
See that's the problem, everyone assumes that but it's wrong. They do use a different engine. That's my point (even though I was making it with sarcasm), the N54 is *not* just the 328 engine with some turbo's slapped on for fun - it's an entirely new engine block designed *for the turbos*, the engine in the 325, 330, and 328 are aluminum/magnesium, dual vanos direct injected, the engine in the 335i is an *all* aluminum block with cast iron cylinders, single vanos, direct injection; the only similarities are the direct injection and displacement.

It's the same as the B5 S4's; the powertrain needs to be taken as a sum of its parts, rather than just as an engine with some turbo's slapped on. The 335i engine doesn't exist anywhere without the turbos, so it's impossible to say what it'd be like without them.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by picus112
See that's the problem, everyone assumes that but it's wrong. They do use a different engine. That's my point (even though I was making it with sarcasm), the N54 is *not* just the 328 engine with some turbo's slapped on for fun - it's an entirely new engine block designed *for the turbos*, the engine in the 325, 330, and 328 are aluminum/magnesium, dual vanos direct injected, the engine in the 335i is an *all* aluminum block with cast iron cylinders, single vanos, direct injection; the only similarities are the direct injection and displacement.

It's the same as the B5 S4's; the powertrain needs to be taken as a sum of its parts, rather than just as an engine with some turbo's slapped on. The 335i engine doesn't exist anywhere without the turbos, so it's impossible to say what it'd be like without them.
Picus,

You know better than to go down this route. It was a silly statement - just let it die. No need to go into the explanations.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
pedro83

^^ no rehash it. its not like its been discussed or anything.lol
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
RPL

Picus, stop with the explanations. This forum has found ONE magazine that has "leaned towards" the G37 over the 335i, and they're MILKING it. It's like arguing to a Christian that "no, god doesn't really exist." You're going to get no where with these JDM thumpers. Everyone else in the car world knows to pick the 335i over the G. However, those types of people are rare here...

PS

What's with all the drifting in the video?! Where the f*ck is the Stig when we need him?!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by RPL
Picus, stop with the explanations. This forum has found ONE magazine that has "leaned towards" the G37 over the 335i, and they're MILKING it. It's like arguing to a Christian that "no, god doesn't really exist." You're going to get no where with these JDM thumpers. Everyone else in the car world knows to pick the 335i over the G. However, those types of people are rare here...

PS

What's with all the drifting in the video?! Where the f*ck is the Stig when we need him?!
Wow... what's the deal? I apologize for talking about Motor Trend in ummm... a Motor Trend thread. My reason to choose the G37 > 335i... styling, not performance. If the 335i had the styling of the G37, then I would be getting the 335i.

Are we supposed to be taking "JDM thumpers" as an insult? because since this is online... I can't tell how you meant that to come across.

@ Picus: I really appreciate what you've been doing on this forum. I like expanding my knowledge and your professionalism in your posts make me really respect you. Thank you for your considerate posts and keeping objective... unlike some people's posts (both on the G37 and 335i side). I honestly wish that some posts on the G37 side was never posted.

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-12-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Hitman_

Comes to show that Motor Trend does their homework and gives both sides of the story.

The track videos showed it all. Great reviews.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Hitman_
Comes to show that Motor Trend does their homework and gives both sides of the story.

The track videos showed it all. Great reviews.
Agreed. Motor Trend is the car magazine that has probably been the most objective... unlike some other magazines *cough* Edmunds lol *cough*. Motor Trend gave both cars great reviews.

To me in the end... both cars are clear winners in their own respects. Kudos to both BMW and Infiniti for creating two amazing cars for us to choose from.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:48 AM
G THANG

Boy oh boy that G37 really looked good on those turns!!!The 335i A** was all over the place.Most people prob would'nt abuse these cars like this anyways,so it was great to see them both in action.

Last edited by G THANG; 07-12-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 AM
RPL

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Wow... what's the deal? I apologize for talking about Motor Trend in ummm... a Motor Trend thread. My reason to choose the G37 > 335i... styling, not performance. If the 335i had the styling of the G37, then I would be getting the 335i.

Are we supposed to be taking "JDM thumpers" as an insult? because since this is online... I can't tell how you meant that to come across.

@ Picus: I really appreciate what you've been doing on this forum. I like expanding my knowledge and your professionalism in your posts make me really respect you. Thank you for your considerate posts and keeping objective... unlike some people's posts (both on the G37 and 335i side). I honestly wish that some posts on the G37 side was never posted.
Ah jeeze...
Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by RPL
Ah jeeze...
That doesn't explain anything. My post seems valid... Can you also explain to me about the Christian and no God analogy? because I'm not seeing it.

Please don't take my posts as attacking or anything. I really do not want to come off that way. I am just wanting to understand. *sighs* trying to convey emotions VIRTUALLY is somewhat difficult. That's how a lot of misunderstandings come about.

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-12-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 AM
RPL

^it's very difficult to influence G35 owners on a G35 forum to side with a BMW when they're comparable cars, just like it is extremely difficult to covert a believer into a non-believer.

Furthermore, this topic has been countless discussed outside of this thread, with you a major player in it. You know exactly why I say the things I do.

People who are favoring the BMW are taking NOTHING away from the impressive G37. However, we're choosing the better car in a car vs car world.

Last edited by RPL; 07-12-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by RPL
^it's very difficult to influence G35 owners on a G35 forum to side with a BMW when they're comparable cars, just like it is extremely difficult to covert a believer into a non-believer.
I agree with you on that. Mainly it's the kind of people you talk to. If you talk to someone like me... I side with BMW all the way when it comes to performance... but as an overall package, the G37 has it down... but then again it's just my opinion and it includes a lot of subjective opinions (like styling and comfort).

Originally Posted by RPL
Furthermore, this topic has been countless discussed outside of this thread, with you a major player in it. You know exactly why I say the things I do.
This thread is for the videos. We have never discussed the Motor Trend videos since they weren't released before.

Originally Posted by RPL
People who are favoring the BMW are taking NOTHING away from the impressive G37. However, we're choosing the better car in a car vs car world.
Car vs. Car world? In terms of strictly how it performs and nothing else? I'm a little confused on what your idea of a "car vs. car world" is.

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-12-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Jeff92se

The VQ37 w/o the .7 liters and every electronic do dad in the book would be a 190hp maxima engine. Point?

Originally Posted by fabulustt7
the 335 without turbos would be a 328 most likely. i highly doubt they use a different engine with those turbos. i think the 328 does 230 hp
Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
The VQ37 w/o the .7 liters and every electronic do dad in the book would be a 190hp maxima engine. Point?
Just ignore his statement. I don't agree with that statement either and Picus was here to save the day!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:46 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

My biggest issue is the lack of character in the design. It is not very unique and VERY feminine looking. It was a financial decision I am sure.

Regardless of what Infiniti said or intended, a lot more women will be buying the G Coupe. If there is ever a time when it is ok to be sexist, it definitely is when you buy a car.

Originally Posted by schmeah
I don't understand why you guys have seemed so negative with the preliminary G37 reports...

Last edited by jnmunsey; 07-12-2007 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 335i vs G37 Video