Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
FAST1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Summation by Road & Track

I've subscribed to Road & Track for years and I have found them to be mostly on target. The following is a summary from their G37 and 335 comparison:

The G37 is a great street car that borders on the luxury side of the BMW, which weighs less, costs more and jiggles your kidneys.The G sacrifices the performance of its predecessor for a more compliant ride, supple interior, great comfort and quietness. All of the complaints we had of the first-generation G35 have been remedied, except its performance, which we found to be essentiallty unchanged.

So there you have it in a nutshell. For the performance orientated guys like me, it's disappointing since we had hoped that Infiniti was going to move the G37 up the next rung in the performance ladder. Infiniti made the judgement that they could sell more G37 coupes by emphasizing luxury. Personally I feel they made an error. If it were me, I would have made the G sedan be the luxury model, and have the G coupe be the Infiniti performance model. So I suppose the message from Nissan is that if you want a performance coupe, wait for the 370Z.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

I subscribe to Road & Track and Autoweek only and would have to agree that R&T usually gets it right. Their description hits the "sweet spot" for me. Performance equal to the previous model is enough street performance for me. I will not track this car, as maybe some of you were counting on, so performance is not number one on my list. Comfort, convenience, safety and technology are the most important to me along with stunning looks. Not everybody finds the G37 attractive and it's that way with everything in life. I happen to like it and feel that Infiniti built this car just for me. We'll see how close it is when it arrives, but I'm stoked!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 AM
bostonmerlin

what i like about that statement from R&T is that it fits me to a T. I'm not looking for an all out performance car.. and if it were that type of car i might not be as excited about it as all-out performance doesn't mean jack to me driving back and forth to work.. so i want luxury to get me there each day.. knowing that hitting the gas on the weekend will return a fun ride.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 AM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FAST1
I've subscribed to Road & Track for years and I have found them to be mostly on target. The following is a summary from their G37 and 335 comparison:

The G37 is a great street car that borders on the luxury side of the BMW, which weighs less, costs more and jiggles your kidneys.The G sacrifices the performance of its predecessor for a more compliant ride, supple interior, great comfort and quietness. All of the complaints we had of the first-generation G35 have been remedied, except its performance, which we found to be essentiallty unchanged.

So there you have it in a nutshell. For the performance orientated guys like me, it's disappointing since we had hoped that Infiniti was going to move the G37 up the next rung in the performance ladder. Infiniti made the judgement that they could sell more G37 coupes by emphasizing luxury. Personally I feel they made an error. If it were me, I would have made the G sedan be the luxury model, and have the G coupe be the Infiniti performance model. So I suppose the message from Nissan is that if you want a performance coupe, wait for the 370Z.
First of all, R&T actually did sum up their comparison. But, you did not put it in your post. R&T summed it up by saying for the track, pick the 335i; for the autobahn, pick the G37s. To me, that's better than your summnation.

Second, please admit you are not a "pure" performance guy. All these posters who say they are only interested in performance are not telling the rest of us the truth. If they were only interested in performance, they'd be hanging out on the Lotus forums, and even the 335i would be a huge compromise for them.

So, honestly, the people looking at either the 335i or the G37s, or both, are, in fact, compromising the pure performance aspect. They all want some form of practicality, luxury, reliability, music, comfort, etc as well as performance. And, they must all be willing to sacrifice some performance for any or all of these.

Why rag on Infiniti because their G37 is more luxurious, comfortable and reliable, while handling just as well, if not better, braking just as well, if not better, and rides better, than the 335i? If you prize acceleration above all else, well, Infiniti is not going to give you an all out acceleration machine, and you are in the wrong place if you are here.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Sukairain

I tried the Lotus for performance and well.... for $45k all you get is performance and looks. There is not much luxury at all, it's very very difficult to get in and out of the car. Imagine doing a kung fu roll out of the car, it's embarassing. Don't ever try to pick up date in the Lotus~ Seats don't recline, there is no headroom or shoulder room, the gas pedal is the size of a pack of gum and everything is plastic inside and out.

Still, that car handles so well in the curves it makes your head spin.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Spiike

Infiniti made the judgement that they could sell more G37 coupes by emphasizing luxury.
I've owned a BMW and now 2 Lexus's. This is the single most reason why I will be switching to Infiniti.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

I agree with Spiike. I never considered getting the Infiniti G35 coupe but the G37 really sold it for me because it actually looks like a high-end luxury sports coupe in the interior and exterior (this is coming from a guy who's parents only buy from Lexus and entire family, aunts and uncles, own at least 1 Mercedes). Infiniti definitely made a more appropriate vehicle for their brand with the more luxurious than sporty look. It's like what Lexus does with their vehicles... btw the new LS is amazing (definitely see it in person).

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-07-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiike
I've owned a BMW and now 2 Lexus's. This is the single most reason why I will be switching to Infiniti.
I am the same as you, I never really considered the G35 coupe, but once I saw the G37, I knew I had to have it!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

First Infiniti for me too and did I tell you all I'm stoked?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:02 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

So basically Infiniti is trying to appeal to a more sissy(excuse me, feminine), pompous type of customer..
Old 07-07-2007, 08:05 PM
G37Knight

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
So basically Infiniti is trying to appeal to a more sissy(excuse me, feminine), pompous type of customer..
Its all about the benjamins
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly what i am saying about this g37.. why compare to an 335i if you cant match performance on an performance car.. the sedan should b luxury and the g37 should be nothing but the sport...infiniti might think they would sell more gs but if the 335i starts neg like the lexus is350 are the g37s arent going to sell much as expected.. in dec when i choose i am going with the one that is less seen around my nieghboorhood and the one i could pull off the best price..

370z??
Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Wow you sure know the luxury sports coupe market...

According to a video from NYIAS... the presenter said that they're targetting to people in their low 40s... forgot the other part.

*sighs* I can't wait until the forums become like the 2007 G35 sedan forums...

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-07-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by Yimbie
btw the new LS is amazing (definitely see it in person).
You have got to be nuts. I drove one for a while and was horribly disappointed. I liked the previous gen LS so much better. The new LS reminds me of a Cadillac.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

You have got to be nuts. I drove one for a while and was horribly disappointed. I liked the previous gen LS so much better. The new LS reminds me of a Cadillac.
Wow you're the first person who has said that. I guess everyone else is nuts except for you.

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track