Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Mountian Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fldrummer
Not for me! Unless practicality (in my case, cargo space) counts as luxury... I know, why didn't I just buy an SUV instead? Well, I hate trucks in any form. Most handle like s***, are worse on gas, and aren't fast enough for me. Why not get a sexy, sporty coupe that can hold all the stuff I haul around? Best of bost worlds. If they made a 4-seater 350Z with the same roominess as the G, I probably would have bought one. For me, the luxury part was just a bonus...

Personally, I consider myself an enthusiast and was expecting a decent increase in performance and a nicer-looking body on the G37. Unfortunately, the concept photos were a lot nicer than what came to be and there's only a slight jump in HP, virtually no gain in torque, and extra weight. Sorry Infiniti, 'guess I'll be sacrificing the luxury next time around for a more affordable, roomier, and faster (sub-5-second 0-60 club) Camaro.

I'm with ya on the Camaro, or perhaps the 'cuda that should be out at about the same time ...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountian Pirate
I'm with ya on the Camaro, or perhaps the 'cuda that should be out at about the same time ...
Good luck on your next car then man!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
^^when you say things like, "take it through it's paces" and "have you driven it like it was meant to be driven" are you talking about tracking it on a race course or driving quickly to Walgreens on the back roads? There is a big difference and some people seem to think they can drive a performance car hard on the street and acquire all kinds of knowledge about it. I'm not sure at all what you are trying to say here. If you are truly going to take this new G through it's 10/10 paces, I wouldn't have the salesman sitting next to you when you perform that test....
Actually, the G35 I bought had a lot to do with the salesman. He was like, "so what do you want to do? A highway run? Winding roads?" Without even letting me answer, he said. "ok we'll do a little bit of both." I was like.. . He gave me the works. When the test drive was over, I got back in my eclipse GS-T at the time and was like.. what a piece of.. well you know.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
ghost30

Btw, you're right. I'm not saying I'm speed racer. But for what it's worth, I do know how to judge a cars character pretty good. A lot of it has to do with guts, as well as a pinch of skill.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM
FAST1

Actually anyone who drives a car more than 8/10ths on public roads is brain dead and or crazy. Beyond 8/10ths should be reserved for the track where you don't have to worry about obstacles like trees, telephone poles, and bridge abutgements that are there to greet you should you drive a little too fast for either your or the car's capabilites.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

I guess the majority of America is brain dead and or crazy. Also... MPG is of concern too. From what I know... I just live my life on the streets and I use my car to get to location to location and not going around a track.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghost30
Btw, you're right. I'm not saying I'm speed racer. But for what it's worth, I do know how to judge a cars character pretty good. A lot of it has to do with guts, as well as a pinch of skill.
Wow. It seems pretty hard to cram so much ignorance into only a line and a half, but, congratulations, you seem to have accomplished it.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 AM
ghost30

Originally Posted by dmkozak
Wow. It seems pretty hard to cram so much ignorance into only a line and a half, but, congratulations, you seem to have accomplished it.
THaNks!

I was actually trying to be modest. Anyways, I've failed you. I must go off somewhere to cry now.

Last edited by ghost30; 07-20-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Also... MPG is of concern too.
I never get this crap. Someone is gonna spend $45K on a car and care about their gas mileage? Seriously? Even if one drove a whopping 20,000 miles a year and wanted to decide between a car that averaged 17mpg and one at 25mpg, at $3 a gallon that is only ~$1100 a year savings. If that is really an issue maybe you should consider a cheaper car.

If it is an environmental issue then quit being a hypocrite and again, consider another car.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
I never get this crap. Someone is gonna spend $45K on a car and care about their gas mileage? Seriously? Even if one drove a whopping 20,000 miles a year and wanted to decide between a car that averaged 17mpg and one at 25mpg, at $3 a gallon that is only ~$1100 a year savings. If that is really an issue maybe you should consider a cheaper car.

If it is an environmental issue then quit being a hypocrite and again, consider another car.
Geez why are you so negative towards me? lol. What I just meant by my post was that I wouldn't want to waste gas (STRICTLY MY OWN OPINION and please don't make a comment about this) by going on a test track.

But if the G37 did make only like 15mpg... I wouldn't buy it because that's just terrible. The G37 on a normal driving day is averaging over 20mpg. I remember a guy stating 22-24mpg with his kind of driving. Those numbers are perfectly fine with me.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM
FAST1

There are two issues with gas mileage: 1. can I afford it; and 2. being socially responsible. I agree with jnmunsey that anyone that can afford to buy a new G37 shouldn't be concerned about MPG from a financial perspective. But just because someone can afford it doesn't mean that one can't be socially responsible by buying a car that gets at least moderately decent gas mileage.

There is a Senate Energy bill that requires all auto manufacturers to get a 35 mpg fleet average in thirteen years. If this passes than all cars will get great gas mileage. As a matter of fact the trend towards heavier and heavier cars will probably be reversed since one of the easiest ways to improve mpg is to reduce the size of the car and of course the size of the engine.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:58 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by FAST1
There are two issues with gas mileage: 1. can I afford it; and 2. being socially responsible. I agree with jnmunsey that anyone that can afford to buy a new G37 shouldn't be concerned about MPG from a financial perspective. But just because someone can afford it doesn't mean that one can't be socially responsible by buying a car that gets at least moderately decent gas mileage.

There is a Senate Energy bill that requires all auto manufacturers to get a 35 mpg fleet average in thirteen years. If this passes than all cars will get great gas mileage. As a matter of fact the trend towards heavier and heavier cars will probably be reversed since one of the easiest ways to improve mpg is to reduce the size of the car and of course the size of the engine.
If we are talking about social responsibility here, why not just get a Lexus GS 450h and call it a day?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:26 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^^Scion xB would be a much better and socially responsible choice. It's number 1 on the cradle-to-grave list as being environmentally responsible. Yeah, I own one of those too........

Last edited by CHI-TOWN G37; 07-21-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:50 AM
joeygott
Banned

G37 vs 335...THE TRUTH HURTS

GHOST 30 is dead on here, at least with the earlier posts (got lost on the last few). I own an infiniti now and have been waiting for the G37 to come out before buying another car. Now, mainly due to the look of the car (which to me is not as good looking as the current G35 coupe) I'm not buying the G37. It is a FACT that the 335 is the better car, and I've driven it plenty. While I have NOT driven the G37, I could tell from all the magazine reviews that it's going to be similar to the G35 but more refined and smoother but still considerably off from the 335. Since all the magazine reviews in the past few years have been DEAD ON about this topic, I'm 100% convinced that the G37 reviews I've seen so far will be accurate.
The 335 is faster, smoother, more refined, WAY better suspension that performs without being too harsh, doesn't have tire problems of G, has great resale value (G does too), etc. Rear seat is much more accomodating with much better legroom and outward visibility, and gets 3mpg better fuel economy. That is a full fledge KNOCK OUT kids, not a close call, not a TKO. The magazines make it sound close because that sells, and they want more than anything for a car to knock the 3 off it's throne, but it isn't happening.
Just this week, I drove a 330 ci sport and 06 G35 coupe sport in the same day. Yes, G35 is slightly faster (only slighter even though there is a 60+HP difference on paper), but the 330 is BY FAR the better ride. G35 is better for taller people though.
So, let's call it for what it is. I've never been on a BMW forum and If I ever do, I would never bad mouth infininti because I LOVE INFINITI and drive an I and G now, but let's all be honest and take an ash kicking like men.
Some very respected auto journalist have called the 335 the best all around every day car EVER MADE.
On another note...Since Carlos has been at the helm at Nissan, quality has gone down almost across the board, and sales are WAY OFF. He is a cost cutter and he is ruining Nissan and will take Infiniti with him if he isn't careful.

Last edited by joeygott; 07-22-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 AM
stefanzo911

Originally Posted by joeygott
GHOST 30 is dead on here, at least with the earlier posts (got lost on the last few). I own an infiniti now and have been waiting for the G37 to come out before buying another car. Now, mainly due to the look of the car (which to me is not as good looking as the current G35 coupe) I'm not buying the G37. It is a FACT that the 335 is the better car, and I've driven it plenty. While I have NOT driven the G37, I could tell from all the magazine reviews that it's going to be similar to the G35 but more refined and smoother but still considerably off from the 335. Since all the magazine reviews in the past few years have been DEAD ON about this topic, I'm 100% convinced that the G37 reviews I've seen so far will be accurate.
The 335 is faster, smoother, more refined, WAY better suspension that performs without being too harsh, doesn't have tire problems of G, has great resale value (G does too), etc. Rear seat is much more accomodating with much better legroom and outward visibility, and gets 3mpg better fuel economy. That is a full fledge KNOCK OUT kids, not a close call, not a TKO. The magazines make it sound close because that sells, and they want more than anything for a car to knock the 3 off it's throne, but it isn't happening.
Just this week, I drove a 330 ci sport and 06 G35 coupe sport in the same day. Yes, G35 is slightly faster (only slighter even though there is a 60+HP difference on paper), but the 330 is BY FAR the better ride. G35 is better for taller people though.
So, let's call it for what it is. I've never been on a BMW forum and If I ever do, I would never bad mouth infininti because I LOVE INFINITI and drive an I and G now, but let's all be honest and take an ash kicking like men.
Some very respected auto journalist have called the 335 the best all around every day car EVER MADE.
On another note...Since Carlos has been at the helm at Nissan, quality has gone down almost across the board, and sales are WAY OFF. He is a cost cutter and he is ruining Nissan and will take Infiniti with him if he isn't careful.
I disagree with your judgment of Carlos Gosn managing Nissan.
Without his leadership and re-structuring, Nissan would have gone under and taken infiniti out of business as well. This guy is also running Renault who does rather well in Europe.
Now to say Nissan quality is down, another unverified fact, sales are 20% plus comparing numbers from the month of June last year and in 07
Conclusion: the brand is making better cars than ever before, same goes with Infiniti.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070301004.html

Last edited by stefanzo911; 07-22-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track