G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
FAST1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That story says it all. Some companies spend a fortune establishing and marketing a brand. Admittedly this is important from a business perspective, because if you develop the brand properly, people buy into it rather than the specific product, and they'll pay a premium to do so.

This is especially true with pharmaceuticals. A company may spend tens of millions of dollars developing a drug, and no one is allowed to copy the drug for x number of years so that the company can recoup their R&D with a profit. After the expiration of this protection, other companies are allowed to offer generics which are identical copies of the drug. Although the generic may cost only 10% of what the brand name drug costs, many people insist upon the brand name. I wonder if these people drive BMWs.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
I wasn't trying to badmouth BMW, all cars have their issues.
BMW with their electronics
Infiniti with their oil consumption
Ford with their.... Ford issues LOL
GM with their quality issues
The list could go on and on... its all about how the company and dealers treat their customers with their issues and how they go about it. Granted, we've all heard the dealer horror stories, but in general, most dealers are about making the upmost profit while trying to keep the majority customers happy. The bottom line is, BMW makes great cars, Audi makes great cars, and Porsche makes great cars, but lets be real, they are simply OVERPRICED , for the simple reason of their "brand" or "prestige" that they carry. I could give 2 f*cks less of a brand, I buy what looks good and performs its job well. To me, Infiniti is that company, they build great, reliable good looking cars and they are worth what they cost. The 07 G35 sedan is a hell of a machine, and for the price, it simply CANNOT be beat. Although the G37's looks are a bit controversial, it still is a sexy a.ss beast on wheels, has great performance, beautiful inside and out, and cuts the 335i by around 7-9K depending on options of either car. As I stated in other threads, .4 in a 0-60 and .4 in the quarter isn't justifiable by 7-9K. The G37 is plenty fast for a street car.... Nissan/Infiniti are coming hard on the scene and creating quite the competition. I hope Lexus and BMW are prepared...that's all I gotta say about that..
Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Sukairain

Blah~ If my G35C gets stolen I guess a G37 wouldn't be too bad. At least it'll probably be lighter than the next G40.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^true dat. These things usually don't get any lighter as they develop further.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
stefanzo911

Originally Posted by chilibowl
I wasn't trying to badmouth BMW, all cars have their issues.
BMW with their electronics
Infiniti with their oil consumption
Ford with their.... Ford issues LOL
GM with their quality issues
The list could go on and on... its all about how the company and dealers treat their customers with their issues and how they go about it. Granted, we've all heard the dealer horror stories, but in general, most dealers are about making the upmost profit while trying to keep the majority customers happy. The bottom line is, BMW makes great cars, Audi makes great cars, and Porsche makes great cars, but lets be real, they are simply OVERPRICED , for the simple reason of their "brand" or "prestige" that they carry. I could give 2 f*cks less of a brand, I buy what looks good and performs its job well. To me, Infiniti is that company, they build great, reliable good looking cars and they are worth what they cost. The 07 G35 sedan is a hell of a machine, and for the price, it simply CANNOT be beat. Although the G37's looks are a bit controversial, it still is a sexy a.ss beast on wheels, has great performance, beautiful inside and out, and cuts the 335i by around 7-9K depending on options of either car. As I stated in other threads, .4 in a 0-60 and .4 in the quarter isn't justifiable by 7-9K. The G37 is plenty fast for a street car.... Nissan/Infiniti are coming hard on the scene and creating quite the competition. I hope Lexus and BMW are prepared...that's all I gotta say about that..
Good post!
Being overpriced is one thing, unfairly overcharging customer for service is another, we all get that from the dealership, however BMW has a great racket going and their excuse is always: It's imported and it's a BMW.
NO THANKS!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
picus112

Overpriced is relative. 0.4 in to 60 isn't worth 7k? I guess that depends, if the 335i does 0-60 in 4.8s, find a a near luxury or better car that does it in 4.4s for less than 7k more. See? Relative. To Infiniti owners the 335i is overpriced, to Porsche owners it's a bargain.

Last edited by picus112; 07-18-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by picus112
Overpriced is relative. 0.4 in to 60 isn't worth 7k? I guess that depends, if the 335i does 0-60 in 4.8s, find a a near luxury or better car that does it in 4.4s for less than 7k more. See? Relative. To Infiniti owners the 335i is overpriced, to Porsche owners it's a bargain.
That is... if they only care about 0-60 times.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by picus112
Another thing to remember is that if you are leasing, then the difference is not much when comparing a G35 sedan to a 335 sedan (loaded to loaded). 335 sedan residuals are like 6% higher and money factors are low. A 335 coupe on the other hand is definitely more expensive.

Both great cars - let's leave it at that.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 AM
ghost30

Originally Posted by Yimbie
That is... if they only care about 0-60 times.
Time out. I know you're kinda being facetious here. But there is an undertone in that statement. Have you ever test driven a 335i? I'm mean.. like it was meant to be driven?

Ok.. This is to the general public. First of all let it be known: I happen to care about 0-60 and 1/4 times. Some of you guys are in denial. 4.8/13.4 seconds as opposed to 5.5/13.9 is huge. I guarantee that if the G37 were on par, or slightly faster than the 335i, you guys would've gone nuts. These forums would be an all out gloat fest. Whether some of you like it or not, horsepower means something in this game. I mean, I'm sure Infiniti could've made the G35 6.3 second car.

But I digress, It's not only about straight line performance. It's about feel and character as well.. what excites the senses. That's why some potential buyers would happly pay more for the BMW. I don't know if some of you can understand that. The torque curve on the 335 is incredibly smooth, and very controllable. The shifts are smooth. It handles great, even without an LSD. Styling is subjective. To me the BMW looks more refined, and more aggressive than a G37. I had to see it in person.

If the G37 (when I test drive it), gives me a satisfying grin on all levels of performace as the 335i did, I'd gladly come back on this forum to share the experience. Be that as it may, the 335i is a remarkable car, and is worth the cash imo. Plus, a $1200 chip will give me 80 more horses of satisfaction? Hell yeah.

I agree with FAST1 that Infiniti kinda dropped the ball on the G37. I think some of you guys got waaay too defensive, and jumped down the guys throat when he just seems to be voicing very matter of fact, logical opinions. To whoever said that 90% of the people wanted more luxury sans performance as an evolution of the G35.. you do the survey, and get back to us.

I for one like many others, (but apparently not enough), wanted an evolution in performance, styling as well as luxury. Infiniti missed the first two marks for me. Last year this time, I just knew I had to have a G37. Fast forward a year.. not so much. The car is just too soft aesthetically, and the performance doesn't warrant an "upgrade". Sorry if that hurts peoples feelings, but I live in America.. and it's my right to have an honest opinion in a G35 forum if i want to.

I too suspect that the G37 won't make the impact the G35 had in 2002. Again not that it's a bad car, it just isn't enough of an evolution imo.

But hey, seriously, don't let me or anyone who doesn't have a glowing opinion about the G37 rain on your parade. These are simply opinions.

If you love the car, enjoy the hell out of it.

Last edited by ghost30; 07-19-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Well said ghost.. I am only a little disappointed in the only slight increase in performance. I haven't decided if that is enough yet to deter me from a G37 though. It is still a great vehicle. I like the styling on the new coupe with having seen more pictures. The luxury aspect of it is great. I just hoped that the entry year model for this generation isn't completely out-classed by most of it’s competitors in a couple of years or even by it's half-generation predecessor. That’s the only thing that worries me about the ’08 model.
IMO, performance is important in a coupe in any form whether luxury or sport.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

luxury performance it is
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
sanscu

Nice way to CAP the G37 Ghost. I don't think there's any such thing as a perfect car. There's always going to be something. I agree with your issues on performance of the G and styling not cutting it.

Even though I have never driven a BMW, I have heard many people tell me the iDrive system is really not that great. Also, I am not sure about the BMW NAV, but I love the Infiniti NAV, Stereo and other tech stuff.

I am sure that one day Infiniti will catch up to BMW if they keep up at the current rate.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Orbie

Originally Posted by ghost30
Time out. I know you're kinda being facetious here. But there is an undertone in that statement. Have you ever test driven a 335i? I'm mean.. like it was meant to be driven?

But hey, seriously, don't let me or anyone who doesn't have a glowing opinion about the G37 rain on your parade. These are simply opinions.

If you love the car, enjoy the hell out of it.
I agree with what you said, specifically about everyone being entitled to their own opinion. You would do well in abiding by your own statements if you want people to actually respect the points you are trying to make.

Let's flip the table around, if anything Yimbie loves the car, and doesn't have your "glowing" opinion of the 335. But as you said don't let him "rain on your parade". You felt the need to argue with him because his opinion of the 335 doesn't coincide with yours. So how is that any different then what you are doing with with the G37? If you can stand there and defend the 335 against comments made by Yimbie and say that it's your right as an American to have your own opinion, how is that any different then Yimbie (also being an American) defending the G37 against points made against it? If Yimbie believes 0-60 does not matter and that the G37 is as good or better than the 335 in all other areas, who is to say that is not logical? many of these things are subjective anyways.

For the record I'm neither on Yimbie's side or your's, I've also test driven the 335 hard, and it is a great car for what it is. However there seems to be this air on this forum that when the G37 is getting bashed, fans cannot retaliate without being called "overly defensive" while if heaven forbit bad words are said about a BMW product, it's ok to defend it!

Both cars are good for what they offer, and like you've demonstrated many people will have different opinions of each neither necessarily being completely right or wrong. So that being said, you're right, these are all simply opinions, don't let them "rain on your parade".
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by Orbie
I agree with what you said, specifically about everyone being entitled to their own opinion. You would do well in abiding by your own statements if you want people to actually respect the points you are trying to make.

Let's flip the table around, if anything Yimbie loves the car, and doesn't have your "glowing" opinion of the 335. But as you said don't let him "rain on your parade". You felt the need to argue with him because his opinion of the 335 doesn't coincide with yours. So how is that any different then what you are doing with with the G37? If you can stand there and defend the 335 against comments made by Yimbie and say that it's your right as an American to have your own opinion, how is that any different then Yimbie (also being an American) defending the G37 against points made against it? If Yimbie believes 0-60 does not matter and that the G37 is as good or better than the 335 in all other areas, who is to say that is not logical? many of these things are subjective anyways.

For the record I'm neither on Yimbie's side or your's, I've also test driven the 335 hard, and it is a great car for what it is. However there seems to be this air on this forum that when the G37 is getting bashed, fans cannot retaliate without being called "overly defensive" while if heaven forbit bad words are said about a BMW product, it's ok to defend it!

Both cars are good for what they offer, and like you've demonstrated many people will have different opinions of each neither necessarily being completely right or wrong. So that being said, you're right, these are all simply opinions, don't let them "rain on your parade".
My point.. I was attempting to comment on the fact that it's easy to make generalizations about why people pick the Bimmer over the G. People have the right to make any statement they want. But at least have some ammo to back up your statements. I'm not trying to jump all over Yimbe, but in general, most of these guys haven't even driven the car, and are going purely on bias. I was trying to be very objective about my veiws. The reason I made that statement about "I'm in america" is because it's like sometimes it seems you aren't allowed to post anything remotely negative about the G37 here. At least I try to back up my info. But you know, It's your american right not to listen to it.

Anyway, it's all good. Although I'm not buying, I'm looking forward to taking the G37 through it's paces when it hits dealers.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^when you say things like, "take it through it's paces" and "have you driven it like it was meant to be driven" are you talking about tracking it on a race course or driving quickly to Walgreens on the back roads? There is a big difference and some people seem to think they can drive a performance car hard on the street and acquire all kinds of knowledge about it. I'm not sure at all what you are trying to say here. If you are truly going to take this new G through it's 10/10 paces, I wouldn't have the salesman sitting next to you when you perform that test....

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track