G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
kxnkxnkxn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, my fault for thinking that YOU yourself were talking about the overall market. it's only because after reading so many topics, it would seem as if every g37 basher is saying that it would do bad to the general market. so i guess ill tkae back what i said about what you said about that whole performance thing since this IS an enthusiast forum afterall.

but you are also saying you find my line hilarious in not hesitating to say i "represent 90%" of the market. i wouldn't doubt it. go conduct your own survey of at LEAST 100 actual real people ON THE STREETS (not car forums obviously becuase then they would already have knowledge) and give them specs between the two cars (g37/335), and ask them if they actually
1) remember anything you said
2) care about the performance over luxury
3) even know the difference between any of the things you told them of the specs

i highly doubt they would care about the numbers that these forums put so much argument over, ESPECIALLY if they knew the prices between the 2 cars
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 PM
FAST1

ok, my fault for thinking that YOU yourself were talking about the overall market. it's only because after reading so many topics, it would seem as if every g37 basher is saying that it would do bad to the general market.

1. I'm not a basher of the G37. I fully appreciate its improvements and what it offers. I simply was pointing out that I was disappointed with its small performance improvement.
2. I have posted several times that I believe that the G37 will do well in the market but not as well as the G35.
3. For the right buyer the G37 will be a great choice.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 PM
maxpower

ok now...group hug
Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by maxpower
ok now...group hug
lol that reminded me of teletubbies... group hug!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FAST1
muscarel - I agree with many of the points that you made, but the fight against the 3 series is on many fronts: performance, refinement, and build quality. I don't know about the build quality, but based on the reports that I have read, the G37 should be as refined as the 3 series. BMW however raised the performance bar and Infiniti didn't respond, despite the fact that it's been over a year since the release of the 335.

Granted that the G isn't a sports car but neither is the 3 series, but that didn't stop BMW from making the 335 one of the best performing coupes in the world. In other words it's not an either / or proposition. It's possible to have a highly refined car with world class performance , and that's what a large percentage of us expected from the G37.

Infiniti had a great opportunity of matching or exceeding BMW on all three fronts: build quality, refinement, and performance. Arguably Infiniti succeeded on refinement and build quality, but they are obviously lacking in performance when compared to the 335
You said it and I agree. 2 out of 3 is better than 1/3rd. So they didnt beat a 3 series by .5. Who cares? I am so tired of hearing about it. blah blah blah. When you compare a BMW to a Z06 what do you get? "BMW as better refinement and build quality(IMO no), and the baseline Vette is .5 sec faster(or whatever the actual number is). Oh and they both cost around the same! Get the point. You are comparing cars, this is what you WILL ALWAYS GET!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by Heat
You said it and I agree. 2 out of 3 is better than 1/3rd. So they didnt beat a 3 series by .5. Who cares? I am so tired of hearing about it. blah blah blah. When you compare a BMW to a Z06 what do you get? "BMW as better refinement and build quality(IMO no), and the baseline Vette is .5 sec faster(or whatever the actual number is). Oh and they both cost around the same! Get the point. You are comparing cars, this is what you WILL ALWAYS GET!
Wait - don't say they cost the same. Someone will mention the free BMW service that is worth $10,000. Oil changes every 15k miles and free wipers.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Sukairain

That's true, BMW offers fee service, maybe not $10k but it's still freebies.

The G35/G37 electronics and navigation system is 2 generations beyond the infamous iDrive. I don't know why the Germans still bother with their home-mad software. It's pretty widely known that while Germans are impeccable mechanical engineers, they were never good at software engineering.

Also, $8k difference was a lot of money back in 2002 and it's still a huge difference today. You can think of it as free gasoline 60,000 miles, or twin turbo for the power hungry, or free happy meal at McDonalds for the next 4 years. If that doesn't cheer you up, I don't know what will.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:18 PM
stefanzo911

Originally Posted by FAST1
ok, my fault for thinking that YOU yourself were talking about the overall market. it's only because after reading so many topics, it would seem as if every g37 basher is saying that it would do bad to the general market.

1. I'm not a basher of the G37. I fully appreciate its improvements and what it offers. I simply was pointing out that I was disappointed with its small performance improvement.
2. I have posted several times that I believe that the G37 will do well in the market but not as well as the G35.
3. For the right buyer the G37 will be a great choice.
^^^I agree 100% the first Gen. is the true original reminiscent of the first Datsun Nissan Z240 even with the plastic interior and all the flaws, it's got more personality than the rest!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by stefanzo911
^^^I agree 100% the first Gen. is the true original reminiscent of the first Datsun Nissan Z240 even with the plastic interior and all the flaws, it's got more personality than the rest!
The G35 was a complete surprise, since no one expected anything like that from Infiniti, and your reference to the 240Z is on target. When the G35 ws released, I thought it was the G20 with a bigger engine. The G37 on the other hand IMO will have a mixed reception in the market place.

I'm certain that prior to building the G37, Infiniti conducted a great deal of marketing studies, and they built a car that met the requirements of most of their potential buyers. There will be some like me however who wanted Infiniti to take the next step up the performance ladder and make the G37 competitive with the best performing coupes in the under $50K price range.

Bottom line is that the G37 will be a nice car at a very competitive price, but Infiniti missed an opportunity to make it a great car. Infiniti undoubtedly declined to take the steps necessary to make the G37 the best performing car in its class because to do so would have probably required Infiniti to make the G37 far more expensive than their target market could afford.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 AM
stefanzo911

all new car models are overly hyped, Infiniti has gained a huge following when launching the G35, a great combination of performance, luxury and great looks at a price far below the competition. Since it's the right formula for success, they are eager not to disturb that trend and not only remain in business but compete with those other guys. If they continue to build cars this compelling, I have no doubt they will gain tremendous popularity and establish their brand as even more attractive than Lexus.

Last edited by stefanzo911; 07-14-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 AM
sanscu

If I wanted to chunk down 55k for a car (aka BMW) I would get me a used Carrera C4S instead for performance. But because I can't afford a 55k car, and I love Nissans/Infiniti so much, the price just makes the deal sweeter at 45k.

Anyhow, if anyone is good at photoshop, do you think I could turn my G37 into a Bentley Continental GT? Thanks in advance, muhahahaha.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 AM
stefanzo911

yeah it's a sweet car. it's got power, class and pedigree. Makes a Lexus looks like a Ford Pinto.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 AM
FAST1

all new car models are overly hyped, Infiniti has gained a huge following when launching the G35, a great combination of performance, luxury and great looks at a price far below the competition. Since it's the right formula for success, they are eager not to disturb that trend and not only remain in business but compete with those other guys. If they continue to build cars this compelling, I have no doubt they will gain tremendous popularity and establish their brand as even more attractive than Lexus.
Can't disagree with your analysis.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Well said, stefanzo911. Infiniti has made great standards now and they must keep them up.

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-14-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:44 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by sanscu
If I wanted to chunk down 55k for a car (aka BMW) I would get me a used Carrera C4S instead for performance. But because I can't afford a 55k car, and I love Nissans/Infiniti so much, the price just makes the deal sweeter at 45k.

Anyhow, if anyone is good at photoshop, do you think I could turn my G37 into a Bentley Continental GT? Thanks in advance, muhahahaha.
IMO, if you can't afford a 55K car you can't afford a 40K car. Weird logic I suppose, but for me at least unless I have LOTs of disposable income a modest car is in order.. say no more than $30K..

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track