Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by kxnkxnkxn
Fast1: "It's possible to have a highly refined car with world class performance , and that's what a large percentage of us expected from the G37."

LOL? sorry, i did not know that a forum with under 500 FREQUENT WRITERS count as "large percentage of the G market"
that was a hilarious line you said. thanks for the laugh and showing us how arrogant you are.

maybe you did not read my other post in a different topic about the g37, but ill repeat it in 1 line: we as general consumers (as i am myself) do not care about that 1 second mark or those little tiny micro details you all say the g37 lacks or has too much of. and WE make more than what? 90% or more of the market? you talk as if this forum is what the infiniti designers/engineers read all day and base their ideas on. please. wake up. general consumer: luxury > performance any day.

tune the car to your own specifications as you probably have done with whatever you currently own. meaning that car you have now is obviously a disappointment to yourself to begin with.
I totally agree. Most of the people complaining about the G37 do not realize that this forum does not represent the general market.

Last edited by InfinitiFreak; 07-10-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM
stefanzo911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muscarel
FAST1.

Did you own a first gen G35? Have you sat in a 2007 G35 sedan? If so, you'll know what we are all talking about. The BIGGEST disappointment in the 1st gen was the pathetic interior with 1990 nissan maxima parts. And what people keep ignoring is that the car is ALOT faster than the original. When the original was first tested almost every magazine got 14.6s in the 1/4 mile. Maybe people are looking at the new sedan as a gauge and that is confusing them.

I've driven a 2007 sedan and if the power is anything like that car, I'm more than satisfied. It has quite a bit of pep, and makes nice sounds as you fly up th rpm range. Steering feel is MUCH improved. Road noise is MUCH improved (remember how many people added dynamat to their G coupes because the car was so noisy??). Interior is not even close.

If it is your ultimate criteria in a car to run low 13s in the 1/4 mile - go buy a vette. They'll run mid-12s all day, look nice, and are more performance oriented. You can get one for low 40s if you don't check any boxes.
The 1st generation G35 interior isn't great compared to Acura or Lexus but the term "pathetic" is a little overstated IMO, still much improved in design over 80% of other cars. If you want a great dash, go buy a Bentley...
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Fast1: "It's possible to have a highly refined car with world class performance , and that's what a large percentage of us expected from the G37."

LOL? sorry, i did not know that a forum with under 500 FREQUENT WRITERS count as "large percentage of the G market"
that was a hilarious line you said. thanks for the laugh and showing us how arrogant you are.

maybe you did not read my other post in a different topic about the g37, but ill repeat it in 1 line: we as general consumers (as i am myself) do not care about that 1 second mark or those little tiny micro details you all say the g37 lacks or has too much of. and WE make more than what? 90% or more of the market? you talk as if this forum is what the infiniti designers/engineers read all day and base their ideas on. please. wake up. general consumer: luxury > performance any day.

tune the car to your own specifications as you probably have done with whatever you currently own. meaning that car you have now is obviously a disappointment to yourself to begin with.
Thank you VERY much for your post. BTW... welcome to the forums. I hope EVERYONE here realizes that we're only a tiny % of the total market that Infiniti aims for. There are SO many people who own G35 coupes and have NO IDEA that these forums even exist.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by muscarel
You can look at it a different way:

For $8k less, Infiniti was able to create a car with more sporting nature (less body roll, faster slalom, not straight line), better interior (ergonomics/style, not material necessarily), more technology (NAV is the biggest difference), better reliability, and arguably more style. And realistically, on the straight line performance, the G37 is 9/10ths of the 335, so it's not like we are comparing a Yugo to the 335. On the other hand, the 335 NAV system is 4/10ths of the version in the G37.

So, the question is - are you willing to give up 1/10th of straight line aceleration for a better interior, tech, and reliability. All for less money.

Personally, for me, this debate comes down to style. If you like the way the 335 looks (I do), then the other points aren't as important. If you don't care for the 335 styling, then who cares if it is faster, etc? Especially since it costs 20% more and is a downgrade on alot of things at the same time.
Very nicely said, muscarel. I always like reading your posts along with some other posters. People don't really realize what the G37 has to offer compared to the 335i even with the lower price point.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
fabulustt7

HellooooooOOoOooooOO....why do all you g37 lovers say idrive sucks compared to new nav? what are the differences?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by fabulustt7
HellooooooOOoOooooOO....why do all you g37 lovers say idrive sucks compared to new nav? what are the differences?
Oh I don't know. I'm not one of the people who said that. I know that a lot of people have issues with the complexity of the BMW iDrive system for even simple actions. I haven't heard of any reports of people complaining about Infiniti's set up. The Mercedes COMAND system functions the same way as the iDrive but I've heard that it's a lot simpler to use and thus... better for while driving and everything.

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-10-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I didn't say anything about idrive either. What is it? Sounds German...or maybe it's from Apple?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
I didn't say anything about idrive either. What is it? Sounds German...or maybe it's from Apple?
lol I actually didn't realize that until you mentioned it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
beathorse Keep it up and you won't even have your horse to run into the sunset on.....
lol you'd have to be one of the funniest people on these forums I've met
Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^ Just passing time until that new underperforming G arrives...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
fabulustt7

i keep seeing people write that idrive isn't as good a 07 sedan nav but they both seem great to me, maybe im missing some key differences
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

i keep seeing people write that idrive isn't as good a 07 sedan nav but they both seem great to me, maybe im missing some key differences
Please read my post about it. A lot of people complain about the complexity of it while trying to do simple things. The Mercedes version of the iDrive (COMAND) has received better reviews because it's simpler to use. I personally wouldn't really want to deal with something that's complex while driving on the freeway. It's distracting... but I'm only speaking for myself.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I had COMMAND in my C32 AMG and it wasn't that great. The NAV was antiquated with very confusing inputs and no touch screen. Actually, come to think of it I hated it.

My brother has the iDrive in his 7 series BMW. I played with it a couple times and it seemed like I could deal with it if I spent some quality time with it. I like techi stuff and the challenge, whereas some people find it confusing and bothersome. I'm sure if it was so bad BMW would have dumped it by now.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 PM
FAST1

What would lead you to believe that by "us" I meant the entire car buying market rather than the members of this forum? I have stated on many occassions that I believe the majority of members of this forum are performance orientated. BTW performance orientated means performance is one of the primary features that we look at in buying a car; it doesn't mean that it's the only feature that we look at. I have no idea what is most important to the average G buyer. Only Infiniti and apparently you would know that.

I find it haliarious that you have no hesitation in attacking what I said as being arrogant in your first paragraph, but then later on in your post you have absolutely no hesitation in speaking for 90% of the entire car buying market: we as general consumers (as i am myself) do not care about that 1 second mark or those little tiny micro details you all say the g37 lacks or has too much of. and WE make more than what? 90% or more of the market?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:44 PM
muscarel

There are 2 distinct things that are bad about the BMW system:

1. The I-Drive system itself. The intent is to remove alot of buttons from the dash and incorporate functions into a menu system. This looks slick but ends up requiring more effort to do simple things. Want to tune your radio, click the I-drive ****, select entertainment, select radio, select tune, then tune. Wow, that was easy.

2. The Navigation portion - very dated. Not hard-drive based like Infiniti's, so it is slower to react (longer pauses between selections). Graphics are not as good either. Where the Infiniti system has buttons for quick access to menus as well as voice activation and touchscreen - the BMW does without (it has voice activation). If you haven't tried it yet, you should go see the Infinti system and then the BMW system.

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track