Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
fldrummer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisjai
For what reason do you have to buy an Infiniti over a Nissan? for performance? Is it the prestige of the brand? Well prestigiousness comes out of luxury. So, how come you guys chose Infiniti over Nissan? The answer is because you are willing to sacrifice some performance for luxury.
Not for me! Unless practicality (in my case, cargo space) counts as luxury... I know, why didn't I just buy an SUV instead? Well, I hate trucks in any form. Most handle like s***, are worse on gas, and aren't fast enough for me. Why not get a sexy, sporty coupe that can hold all the stuff I haul around? Best of bost worlds. If they made a 4-seater 350Z with the same roominess as the G, I probably would have bought one. For me, the luxury part was just a bonus...

Personally, I consider myself an enthusiast and was expecting a decent increase in performance and a nicer-looking body on the G37. Unfortunately, the concept photos were a lot nicer than what came to be and there's only a slight jump in HP, virtually no gain in torque, and extra weight. Sorry Infiniti, 'guess I'll be sacrificing the luxury next time around for a more affordable, roomier, and faster (sub-5-second 0-60 club) Camaro.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by fldrummer
Not for me! Unless practicality (in my case, cargo space) counts as luxury... I know, why didn't I just buy an SUV instead? Well, I hate trucks in any form. Most handle like s***, are worse on gas, and aren't fast enough for me. Why not get a sexy, sporty coupe that can hold all the stuff I haul around? Best of bost worlds. If they made a 4-seater 350Z with the same roominess as the G, I probably would have bought one. For me, the luxury part was just a bonus...

Personally, I consider myself an enthusiast and was expecting a decent increase in performance and a nicer-looking body on the G37. Unfortunately, the concept photos were a lot nicer than what came to be and there's only a slight jump in HP, virtually no gain in torque, and extra weight. Sorry Infiniti, 'guess I'll be sacrificing the luxury next time around for a more affordable, roomier, and faster (sub-5-second 0-60 club) Camaro.
Ok. Bye. I honestly doubt Infiniti would care if they get more customers. They have brought me into the Infiniti family!

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-10-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:00 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Ok. Bye. I honestly doubt Infiniti would care if they get more customers. They have brought me into the Infiniti family!
So you didn't buy the G35 because it wasn't luxurious enough, but you now love the G37 because it is more refined? And you came to this conclusion just by reading articles and without test driving the car and probably more than likely not seeing the car in person.

I can get a good idea of how well a car will perform based on its specs and then reviewing road tests, but I'm not certain that I could make the same judgement on how refined a car is without seeing it in person.

As I posted many times, I believe that the G37 will be a nice car for the right person, but my guess is that the G37 won't have anywhere near the impact in the performance/luxury market that the G35 had. I won't be surprised if you'll be able to get a G37 at a nice discount by the end of the year.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by dennisjai
So Infiniti will have a few less enthusiasts, but a lot more customers. Some of you guys talk about ALL OUT RAW PERFORMANCE, the Nissan Z covers that aspect. When you buy the car with an Infiniti emblem instead of a Nissan emblem, expect luxury. Luxury Sport cars are meant to be luxurious and performance, emphasizing the importance of luxury first, hence, "Luxury Sport." If you don't think the car is FAST for every day driving, pick up the Nissan Z.

For what reason do you have to buy an Infiniti over a Nissan? for performance? Is it the prestige of the brand? Well prestigiousness comes out of luxury. So, how come you guys chose Infiniti over Nissan? The answer is because you are willing to sacrifice some performance for luxury.
I agree. Why would you buy a luxury brand with no luxury? Actually, I don't even consider the 350Z ALL OUT RAW PERFORMANCE. I'll save that for the Corvettes of the world. The G35 was never a sports car. It was an attempt by Infiniti to make a luxury version of the 350z with some extra amenities. It was rough around the edges, but not bad for a first try. The G37 builds on that. They addressed all the rough spots, improved quality, improved performance (yes, once again the original G35 ran high 14's), and added more amenities. This is the car they were always trying to build - a 3-series fighter. You can't be a 3-series fighter if your all about performance and do not have a nice ride, interior quality, and refinement. The performance is more than enough. Did anyone ever complain about the 330i running mid-14 1/4 mile times? Same for the current 328s of which most people buy when they buy a 3-series. Very few people (as evidenced by sales data) care about a few tenths in the 1/4 mile like so many people here.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by FAST1
So you didn't buy the G35 because it wasn't luxurious enough, but you now love the G37 because it is more refined? And you came to this conclusion just by reading articles and without test driving the car and probably more than likely not seeing the car in person.

I can get a good idea of how well a car will perform based on its specs and then reviewing road tests, but I'm not certain that I could make the same judgement on how refined a car is without seeing it in person.

As I posted many times, I believe that the G37 will be a nice car for the right person, but my guess is that the G37 won't have anywhere near the impact in the performance/luxury market that the G35 had. I won't be surprised if you'll be able to get a G37 at a nice discount by the end of the year.
FAST1.

Did you own a first gen G35? Have you sat in a 2007 G35 sedan? If so, you'll know what we are all talking about. The BIGGEST disappointment in the 1st gen was the pathetic interior with 1990 nissan maxima parts. And what people keep ignoring is that the car is ALOT faster than the original. When the original was first tested almost every magazine got 14.6s in the 1/4 mile. Maybe people are looking at the new sedan as a gauge and that is confusing them.

I've driven a 2007 sedan and if the power is anything like that car, I'm more than satisfied. It has quite a bit of pep, and makes nice sounds as you fly up th rpm range. Steering feel is MUCH improved. Road noise is MUCH improved (remember how many people added dynamat to their G coupes because the car was so noisy??). Interior is not even close.

If it is your ultimate criteria in a car to run low 13s in the 1/4 mile - go buy a vette. They'll run mid-12s all day, look nice, and are more performance oriented. You can get one for low 40s if you don't check any boxes.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by muscarel
I agree. Why would you buy a luxury brand with no luxury? Actually, I don't even consider the 350Z ALL OUT RAW PERFORMANCE. I'll save that for the Corvettes of the world. The G35 was never a sports car. It was an attempt by Infiniti to make a luxury version of the 350z with some extra amenities. It was rough around the edges, but not bad for a first try. The G37 builds on that. They addressed all the rough spots, improved quality, improved performance (yes, once again the original G35 ran high 14's), and added more amenities. This is the car they were always trying to build - a 3-series fighter. You can't be a 3-series fighter if your all about performance and do not have a nice ride, interior quality, and refinement. The performance is more than enough. Did anyone ever complain about the 330i running mid-14 1/4 mile times? Same for the current 328s of which most people buy when they buy a 3-series. Very few people (as evidenced by sales data) care about a few tenths in the 1/4 mile like so many people here.
muscarel - I agree with many of the points that you made, but the fight against the 3 series is on many fronts: performance, refinement, and build quality. I don't know about the build quality, but based on the reports that I have read, the G37 should be as refined as the 3 series. BMW however raised the performance bar and Infiniti didn't respond, despite the fact that it's been over a year since the release of the 335.

Granted that the G isn't a sports car but neither is the 3 series, but that didn't stop BMW from making the 335 one of the best performing coupes in the world. In other words it's not an either / or proposition. It's possible to have a highly refined car with world class performance , and that's what a large percentage of us expected from the G37.

Infiniti had a great opportunity of matching or exceeding BMW on all three fronts: build quality, refinement, and performance. Arguably Infiniti succeeded on refinement and build quality, but they are obviously lacking in performance when compared to the 335.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
muscarel - I agree with many of the points that you made, but the fight against the 3 series is on many fronts: performance, refinement, and build quality. I don't know about the build quality, but based on the reports that I have read, the G37 should be as refined as the 3 series. BMW however raised the performance bar and Infiniti didn't respond, despite the fact that it's been over a year since the release of the 335.

Granted that the G isn't a sports car but neither is the 3 series, but that didn't stop BMW from making the 335 one of the best performing coupes in the world. In other words it's not an either / or proposition. It's possible to have a highly refined car with world class performance , and that's what a large percentage of us expected from the G37.

Infiniti had a great opportunity of matching or exceeding BMW on all three fronts: build quality, refinement, and performance. Arguably Infiniti succeeded on refinement and build quality, but they are obviously lacking in performance when compared to the 335.
And the 335 is 7-8K more. Yeah you can pull your "oh but the 335 is twin turbo'd and $1200 and it will slaughter all" card out, but who cares? Honestly, .4 seconds in the 0-60 and .4 in the 1/4 mile is not worth 7-8K to me. At the end of the day, what do you achieve of having a "slightly faster" car. Does your d*ck become bigger? Do you pimp more ho's? No.... And also at the end of the day, the G37 is a better looking car, interior is way higher quality, and the G37 will be a much more reliable machine. No oil cooler issues, no overheating issues, and it wont be plagued by electronic bullsh*t and nor does the G37 have that horrendous iDrive garbage. The 335i is a fine coupe, but its just a BMW. Seriously, this 335i bullsh*t is getting old...

Last edited by chilibowl; 07-10-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by chilibowl
And the 335 is 7-8K more. Yeah you can pull your "oh but the 335 is twin turbo'd and $1200 and it will slaughter all" card out, but who cares? Honestly, .4 seconds in the 0-60 and .4 in the 1/4 mile is not worth 7-8K to me. At the end of the day, what do you achieve of having a "slightly faster" car. Does your d*ck become bigger? Do you pimp more ho's? No.... And also at the end of the day, the G37 is a better looking car, interior is way higher quality, and the G37 will be a much more reliable machine. No oil cooler issues, no overheating issues, and it wont be plagued by electronic bullsh*t and nor does the G37 have that horrendous iDrive garbage. The 335i is a fine coupe, but its just a BMW. Seriously, this 335i bullsh*t is getting old...
I don't believe anyone is trying to convince anyone else that the G37 is inferior to the 335. Everyone has their own values and car buying decisions are based on those values. Like it or not the comparisons between the G37 and 335 will be ongoing. Hell, the G37 hasn't even been released yet and magazines are already running comparisons. Imagine how bad it will be later in the year when you can actually buy the car. Actually this shouldn't be surprising since the BMW 3 series has been the standard against which many companies compare their models to.

I agree with your point about pricing. Infiniti was undoubtedly trying to maintain some kind of price ceiling for the G37, and my guess is that they couldn't significantly improve performance without raising the G's price over their price ceiling.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Very nicely stated, sums up what I was thinking!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

beathorse Keep it up and you won't even have your horse to run into the sunset on.....
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
muscarel

You can look at it a different way:

For $8k less, Infiniti was able to create a car with more sporting nature (less body roll, faster slalom, not straight line), better interior (ergonomics/style, not material necessarily), more technology (NAV is the biggest difference), better reliability, and arguably more style. And realistically, on the straight line performance, the G37 is 9/10ths of the 335, so it's not like we are comparing a Yugo to the 335. On the other hand, the 335 NAV system is 4/10ths of the version in the G37.

So, the question is - are you willing to give up 1/10th of straight line aceleration for a better interior, tech, and reliability. All for less money.

Personally, for me, this debate comes down to style. If you like the way the 335 looks (I do), then the other points aren't as important. If you don't care for the 335 styling, then who cares if it is faster, etc? Especially since it costs 20% more and is a downgrade on alot of things at the same time.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

At MSRP it's at a discount right now!!!!!! Better get after it.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I wouldn't bet on it being discounted for a while.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
fabulustt7

How come no body likes the idrive? what is the differences between idrive and the new nav besides touchscreen?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM
kxnkxnkxn

Fast1: "It's possible to have a highly refined car with world class performance , and that's what a large percentage of us expected from the G37."

LOL? sorry, i did not know that a forum with under 500 FREQUENT WRITERS count as "large percentage of the G market"
that was a hilarious line you said. thanks for the laugh and showing us how arrogant you are.

maybe you did not read my other post in a different topic about the g37, but ill repeat it in 1 line: we as general consumers (as i am myself) do not care about that 1 second mark or those little tiny micro details you all say the g37 lacks or has too much of. and WE make more than what? 90% or more of the market? you talk as if this forum is what the infiniti designers/engineers read all day and base their ideas on. please. wake up. general consumer: luxury > performance any day.

tune the car to your own specifications as you probably have done with whatever you currently own. meaning that car you have now is obviously a disappointment to yourself to begin with.

Last edited by kxnkxnkxn; 07-10-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track