Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1
I thought that I understood Infiniti's marketing philosophy. The G series was supposed to be Infiniti's performance model, and the M series was supposed to be Infiniti's luxury performance model, but since the lines between the two models is getting to be a little fuzzy, I suppose Infiniti is saying that the G is simply an entry level Infiniti or a "poor man's Infiniti."
LMAO. That's the first time I've ever heard of that. I guess the 2007 G35 sedan owners are all poor too. The 2007 G35 sedan is an entry-level luxury sport sedan and the 2008 G37 coupe is an entry-level luxury sport coupe. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Yimbie; 07-08-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about including that statement but what the hell does it mean?
Actually, it means exactly what it says. And, it is a phrase which has been used quite often over the last 60 years in motor journalism. Basically, if you want to drive fast on a closed course and are willing to give up some comfort or some of the little things that make public driving more enjoyable, buy the 335i. Or, if you want to drive fast on open roads, in comfort with the little things that make public driving more enjoyable, buy the G37s.
muscarel

First of all, R&T actually did sum up their comparison. But, you did not put it in your post. R&T summed it up by saying for the track, pick the 335i; for the autobahn, pick the G37s. To me, that's better than your summnation.

I thought about including that statement but what the hell does it mean? It was almost like R&T was throwing Infiniti a bone, like some girl who has rejected some guy's request for a date, and then says he is such a nice guy. In other words R&T was appealing to Infiniti to please continue sending us advertsing dollars even though we believe that the year old BMW 335 is a superior performance car than your not yet released G37.

Second, please admit you are not a "pure" performance guy. All these posters who say they are only interested in performance are not telling the rest of us the truth. If they were only interested in performance, they'd be hanging out on the Lotus forums, and even the 335i would be a huge compromise for them.

I used the phrase "performance orientated", not "pure performance" that you used. I believe that my phrase better describes guys like me that like performance cars with some amenities.

Wait maybe I missed something? 370Z? Since when did this happen? What is new? Please do tell.

Nissan is supposed to be updating the 350Z in '09 and speculation is that they will increase performance with the larger Infiniti engine. Hence, 370Z is what we guess it will be called.

I thought that I understood Infiniti's marketing philosophy. The G series was supposed to be Infiniti's performance model, and the M series was supposed to be Infiniti's luxury performance model, but since the lines between the two models is getting to be a little fuzzy, I suppose Infiniti is saying that the G is simply an entry level Infiniti or a "poor man's Infiniti."

So, when they write that they like BMW it's always what they really mean, but when they say they like the infiniti then it's because they want advertising dollars? Makes total sense.

And what part about the G vs. M is fuzzy? G is equivalent of the 3-series and the M is the 5-series (BMW). How did that change?

Lastly, you guys are blowing the "softening" of the car way out of proportion. The G37 handles better than the car it replaces and is more refined. Those are both good things. Why are people trying to turn this around to a negative? It's not like the original G35 was supposed to be a lightweight, sharp handling sports car. It was always going up against the 3-series, not a lotus elise or the corvette. The original G was supposed to be the car the G37 is now, but Infiniti bad design made it vibrate, noisy, and slow (compared to the g37). Trust me, the vibrating shifter was not done on purpose.
See-Fu

it's likely that nissan will release a car that's a more sport version of the g37 coupe.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by See-Fu
it's likely that nissan will release a car that's a more sport version of the g37 coupe.
I think they call it the Z.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
RPL

^ I hope that Z can hall ***. If someone is running 13.4s on an '07, I want damn near 12s!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by dmkozak
I think they call it the Z.
Yep! If you just want a performance vehicle... get the upcoming Z.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Wow you're the first person who has said that. I guess everyone else is nuts except for you.
Of course.. I am always right.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
ResIpsa

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Missing one really big thing... luxury. Infiniti luxury is different than Nissan's... luxury.
The problem is luxury = weight

The G37 probably has an airbag for each glove box.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
The problem is luxury = weight

The G37 probably has an airbag for each glove box.
I thought there was only one glove box.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
FAST1

So, when they write that they like BMW it's always what they really mean, but when they say they like the infiniti then it's because they want advertising dollars? Makes total sense

I suppose it depends upon how you perceived the G35 coupe. I perceived it as Infiniti's performance coupe. So when the next iteration arrived, it shouldn't have been surprising that I would expect a performance improvement, just like we got from the 335 over the 330. So when R&T writes that although the G37's HP has been increased to 330 but there's no differance in performance between the G35 and G37, I'm disappointed and I believe many others are based on our recent poll. And yes IMO, suggesting that the G37 rides nicely on the highway would be what I would call throwing Infiniti a bone.

And what part about the G vs. M is fuzzy? G is equivalent of the 3-series and the M is the 5-series (BMW). How did that change?

BMW offers the 5 series as their mid-size luxury car, and the 3 series is their compact performance offering. I have to acknowledge that the lines between the 3 and 5 series were a lot more distinct in the past than they are today, so yes to some extent I have the same issue with BMW.

Lastly, you guys are blowing the "softening" of the car way out of proportion. The G37 handles better than the car it replaces and is more refined. Those are both good things. Why are people trying to turn this around to a negative? It's not like the original G35 was supposed to be a lightweight, sharp handling sports car. It was always going up against the 3-series, not a lotus elise or the corvette. The original G was supposed to be the car the G37 is now, but Infiniti bad design made it vibrate, noisy, and slow (compared to the g37). Trust me, the vibrating shifter was not done on purpose.

Infiniti was not circumspect about what their intent was when they developed the G35. It was definately aimed squarely at the BMW 3 series, and there's no question that Infiniti took some market share from BMW. Infiniti's pitch was that you could have BMW performance for a lot less money. So BMW responded with the 335 which blew away the G35 form a performance perspective. Infiniti's response: more refinement and no improvement in performance.

Now I'm not suggesting that Infiniti's response won't be successful. The G37 may out sell the G35 as far as I know. It's just that the G37 isn't what I had hoped it would be, and hence I won't be buying one.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

[B] and hence I won't be buying one.
Ok, class dismissed.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Ok, class dismissed.
^^^LOL!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Heat

umm...buhbye.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
dennisjai

So Infiniti will have a few less enthusiasts, but a lot more customers. Some of you guys talk about ALL OUT RAW PERFORMANCE, the Nissan Z covers that aspect. When you buy the car with an Infiniti emblem instead of a Nissan emblem, expect luxury. Luxury Sport cars are meant to be luxurious and performance, emphasizing the importance of luxury first, hence, "Luxury Sport." If you don't think the car is FAST for every day driving, pick up the Nissan Z.

For what reason do you have to buy an Infiniti over a Nissan? for performance? Is it the prestige of the brand? Well prestigiousness comes out of luxury. So, how come you guys chose Infiniti over Nissan? The answer is because you are willing to sacrifice some performance for luxury.

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track