G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
S.E.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, motor trend picked the G37 over the 335, so.....
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

If anyone wants a luxury GT... consider the G37. If anyone wants a pure performance car... consider the 370z. That was easy.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I can't wait for the G37, it is going to ROCK!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
strife

No!! Get the M45 Coupe........oopps!!! thats from my dream from another thread

Any who....just test drive the G37, 370Z...and whatever...and go from there
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait maybe I missed something? 370Z? Since when did this happen? What is new? Please do tell.
Originally Posted by dmkozak
Second, please admit you are not a "pure" performance guy. All these posters who say they are only interested in performance are not telling the rest of us the truth. If they were only interested in performance, they'd be hanging out on the Lotus forums, and even the 335i would be a huge compromise for them.

So, honestly, the people looking at either the 335i or the G37s, or both, are, in fact, compromising the pure performance aspect. They all want some form of practicality, luxury, reliability, music, comfort, etc as well as performance. And, they must all be willing to sacrifice some performance for any or all of these.

Why rag on Infiniti because their G37 is more luxurious, comfortable and reliable, while handling just as well, if not better, braking just as well, if not better, and rides better, than the 335i? If you prize acceleration above all else, well, Infiniti is not going to give you an all out acceleration machine, and you are in the wrong place if you are here.
THANK YOU!!!!! Its about time someone says it!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Sukairain

Essentially the G37 looks better than the 335ci, handles just as well, the interiors are comparable, the BMW is most definitely faster, but the Infiniti is most definitely cheaper.

The choice would be between a 335i bare (opted up way too expensive), a well equipped 328i, (low performance, high prestige and livability) and a nicely equipped G37 (high on technology, high on style, low on price) The chasis, brakes and handling of all three are comparable one to another. For those more luxury minded there is also the Lexus IS350.

There are always people who have enough money to say stuff like 'Nah~ the $50k+ BMW 335i is well worth the money,' that's why we see Bently, Lambo, Porsche and Ferraris all over the place in SoCal these days. For some of us, $35k is really stretching the bank, and $40k+ makes it impossible to consider regardless of how much faster the car is. The BMW is one fine vehicle, but a baseline BMW compact for $45-$50k is ridiculous.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 AM
xdram

Originally Posted by Sukairain
Essentially the G37 looks better than the 335ci, handles just as well, the interiors are comparable, the BMW is most definitely faster, but the Infiniti is most definitely cheaper.
I think the exterior of the 335 is much better than the G37, the G37 looks overweight. Actually it is overweight but that's another issue.
But the G37 has the 335 beat on interior and interior toys...

Originally Posted by Sukairain
There are always people who have enough money to say stuff like 'Nah~ the $50k+ BMW 335i is well worth the money,' that's why we see Bently, Lambo, Porsche and Ferraris all over the place in SoCal these days. For some of us, $35k is really stretching the bank, and $40k+ makes it impossible to consider regardless of how much faster the car is. The BMW is one fine vehicle, but a baseline BMW compact for $45-$50k is ridiculous.
Agree about the price being ridiculous, but you could always wait and get a used 335... Remember that depreciation is higher first few years of the car's life.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by xdram
I think the exterior of the 335 is much better than the G37, the G37 looks overweight. Actually it is overweight but that's another issue.
But the G37 has the 335 beat on interior and interior toys...

Agree about the price being ridiculous, but you could always wait and get a used 335... Remember that depreciation is higher first few years of the car's life.
Thank you very much for your mature and logical post. We don't get enough of those around here.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 AM
ResIpsa

Think about it, everyone on this board could have purchased a Z rather than a G. basically the same car but faster, better handling (arguably), and cheaper.

I'm not sure how many of us use those back seats, but we all made a compromise for what the G offered. And in my opinion, the compromise was well worth it.

So if your so raving mad, buy the new Z.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Think about it, everyone on this board could have purchased a Z rather than a G. basically the same car but faster, better handling (arguably), and cheaper.

I'm not sure how many of us use those back seats, but we all made a compromise for what the G offered. And in my opinion, the compromise was well worth it.

So if your so raving mad, buy the new Z.
Missing one really big thing... luxury. Infiniti luxury is different than Nissan's... luxury.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 AM
FAST1

First of all, R&T actually did sum up their comparison. But, you did not put it in your post. R&T summed it up by saying for the track, pick the 335i; for the autobahn, pick the G37s. To me, that's better than your summnation.

I thought about including that statement but what the hell does it mean? It was almost like R&T was throwing Infiniti a bone, like some girl who has rejected some guy's request for a date, and then says he is such a nice guy. In other words R&T was appealing to Infiniti to please continue sending us advertsing dollars even though we believe that the year old BMW 335 is a superior performance car than your not yet released G37.

Second, please admit you are not a "pure" performance guy. All these posters who say they are only interested in performance are not telling the rest of us the truth. If they were only interested in performance, they'd be hanging out on the Lotus forums, and even the 335i would be a huge compromise for them.

I used the phrase "performance orientated", not "pure performance" that you used. I believe that my phrase better describes guys like me that like performance cars with some amenities.

Wait maybe I missed something? 370Z? Since when did this happen? What is new? Please do tell.

Nissan is supposed to be updating the 350Z in '09 and speculation is that they will increase performance with the larger Infiniti engine. Hence, 370Z is what we guess it will be called.

I thought that I understood Infiniti's marketing philosophy. The G series was supposed to be Infiniti's performance model, and the M series was supposed to be Infiniti's luxury performance model, but since the lines between the two models is getting to be a little fuzzy, I suppose Infiniti is saying that the G is simply an entry level Infiniti or a "poor man's Infiniti."
Old 07-08-2007, 07:04 AM
beestea

Originally Posted by InfinitiFreak
I am the same as you, I never really considered the G35 coupe, but once I saw the G37, I knew I had to have it!
Same here too...

I remember falling in love with the exterior of the G35 Coupe... I was totally ready to buy one.

Then I test drove it and saw the interior in person for the first time.... I couldn't bare it. It wasn't even up to par with my 01 Acura CL.

I love the interior of the new G35 Sedan (have spent time in my friends) and I can't wait for the G37 coupe now... best of both worlds. Great exterior, awesome interior/features and better performance than the G35 Coupe.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

"poor man's Infiniti."

Ok, so then the 335i is the "poor man's BMW" ?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
So basically Infiniti is trying to appeal to a more sissy(excuse me, feminine), pompous type of customer..
Mopar all the way, baby
Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
"poor man's Infiniti."

Ok, so then the 335i is the "poor man's BMW" ?
I suppose if you compare it to a 6 or 7 series car, it is a poor man's BMW. Some of those 6 series coupes have stickers approaching $100K.

Quick Reply: Good Summation by Road & Track