G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good Summation by Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:05 AM
FAST1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now to say Nissan quality is down, another unverified fact, sales are 20% plus comparing numbers from the month of June last year and in 07
Conclusion: the brand is making better cars than ever before, same goes with Infiniti.

Infiniti was meandering for years with their G20, J30, I30, and Q45. Lexus was clearly blowing Infiniti away with their offerings and the sales numbers weren't even close. But then Infiniti offered the G35 and then the M35 and M45 and they were all super cars and sold very well. Although I had hoped for more of a performance bump from the G37, it nevertheless is a significant improvement over the G35 and it will also sell well IMO.

As far as the 335 is concerned, you have to respect its performance but I'm not a fan of its styling and I'm not thrilled with turbo charged engines. Moreover, I believe that it's premature to claim that the 335 is more refined than the G37 since it hasn't been released yet. The only major aesthetic issue I had with my G35 was its paint. It will be interesting to see if the G37's paint job is on a par with its BMW and Lexus competition.

Last edited by FAST1; 07-22-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 PM
SC G

Originally Posted by joeygott
On another note...Since Carlos has been at the helm at Nissan, quality has gone down almost across the board, and sales are WAY OFF. He is a cost cutter and he is ruining Nissan and will take Infiniti with him if he isn't careful.
Nissan was on life support before Carlos took the helm. Without him, I doubt you'd be posting on this forum today.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Geez why are you so negative towards me? lol.
Sorry you have been an easy target. Just goofin off. I'll stop now.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
FAST1

Regardless of that matter, a naturally aspirated motor will always be more reliable than a force induced motor, and that's a fact.

Another issue that I have had with turbo charged cars is that there is a noticeable performance degradtion after several hard runs. I never measured the degradtion but it was noiceable, and although I can't say for certain that all turbo charged cars have this problem, but the two I owned did. Tubo charged cars hate heat.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^The supercharger on my C32 AMG also suffered this same degradation. In cool weather it wasn't as noticable, but in the heat the difference in perfomance was immediately noticable. The harder and longer you pressed the go pedal the slower and slower it got. That thing had no legs at all.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM
stefanzo911

Originally Posted by SC G
Nissan was on life support before Carlos took the helm. Without him, I doubt you'd be posting on this forum today.
Thanks for stating the true facts I pointed out earlier. I just want to defend a fellow Frenchman for the right reasons.

With a wonderful research tool such as google and such, there are no excuses for misinforming people. take note Joeygott...

Carlos Gosn also was ranked number One (No less) CEO (Any Business type) a couple years ago (Forbes Magazine) for manufacturing the BIG NISSAN turnaround and by the same token Infiniti. Carlos Saved Nissan/Infiniti, like it or not! A success story shown and written about over and over.

NISSAN by numbers is the fastest-growing Japanese company in USA.
Toyota or Honda might be more successful in Sales and reputation but Nissan is greatly improving their lineup (Altima) which explain 23% increase from june 06 to 07. No other car company is even close...THANK YOU CARLOS!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by ghost30
Are you always this combative?

Anyway, I agree about not passing judgement about the G37's feel until a proper test drive. But most of your likes and dislikes about the respective cars are subjective. Just because a few magazines said the G37 is a better looking car than the 335i, I didn't know the case was closed. Reliability is questionable even for the G37. We don't know yet if this new 3.7 liter engine will have the same oil consumption issues as the VQ35.
More accurate to say - as a few of the rev up VQ's have.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by FAST1
Regardless of that matter, a naturally aspirated motor will always be more reliable than a force induced motor, and that's a fact.

Another issue that I have had with turbo charged cars is that there is a noticeable performance degradtion after several hard runs. I never measured the degradtion but it was noiceable, and although I can't say for certain that all turbo charged cars have this problem, but the two I owned did. Tubo charged cars hate heat.
All cars suffer in heat. I've always believed that turbo's suffered more than NA cars in heat. But I'm not sure it makes much of a difference comparitavely. The degradation might seem more pronounced on turbo's since you can hear the turbo working harder. If I'm wrong, please show me the info that says turbo's are more or less worse in heat than an NA car. I'm just curious about that.

My last car was a slightly modified turbo. While it had the usual lag, and did suffer in heat, It was pretty consistent on hard driving, with 77k to 91k miles on it.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by RBull
More accurate to say - as a few of the rev up VQ's have.
I would venture to say more than "a few". Look up oil consumption on this site. Not to stray from the topic, but I'm one of them. It's a bigger issue than many might be led to believe.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by ghost30
I would venture to say more than "a few". Look up oil consumption on this site. Not to stray from the topic, but I'm one of them. It's a bigger issue than many might be led to believe.
Possibly more than a few but a very low ratio of cars sold. I've read the threads on oil consumption and have contributed several times to them.

My main point was to correct the misconception that broadly speaking the VQ is an oil burner.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
EJ2000

Although the oil cooler issue has been fixed, it could be argued that the fuel pump problem in 335's (which still has no solution) is equal if not more of a problem. Many 335 owners have had their car in the shop for a month or more to fix this - and they seem to be replacing it with another faulty fuel pump. IMO, this is a much bigger issue than the oil consumption problem on a portion of VQ35s...