Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Edmunds: G37 vs 335i

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Titanium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N50
Bud, I never bashed BMW. I love the look of the 3...and the torque! In fact, it'll definitely be a car I cross shop with the G...among other cars. Yes, you're right, Edmunds said that the 3 was better in nearly every aspect except price. So be it. My point is that these comparisons can not be written without bias, influence, or doing what will best sell magazines, and you know that. Same goes with MotorTrend, C&D, or any other mag. So, it bothers me that the bias in Edmunds article was so prevalent. They didn't even try to disguise it. The 3 may be the better car (in their opinion) but Edmunds could have phrased it a little different instead of calling the G a "wanna-be" etc... With the looks of things, it doesn't seem that Infiniti is trying to be a 3 "wanna-be" with its new G coupe. It looks as if they are going more GT than anything (but I digress).

Same thing with MotorTrend. If the 3 is truly better in every category then why didn't they say that? Instead they were focusing on the lack of an oil cooler and the price difference (which has been beaten to death). It gets to the point where I don't even want to read these comparisons anymore because, honestly, I don't get too much value out of them. I'd rather drive each car and then form my own opinion.

We all know that for the last few years Infiniti has tried to replicate as much a posible the way the german cars drive.
But I must say...without the competition, we wouldn't be here....so I guess its a good thing....
Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 PM
verbal assassin
Banned

who cares if it has it didn't have an oil cooler. an oil cooler on a turbo car should be mandatory anyways.

are people complaining about the 335i beating the G37 because of an oil cooler?

are these the same people crying about the s2k beating the g35 because the s2k had an intake and exhaust upgrade? hahaha.

1st of all, the g35 is a v6, 3.5 liters.. the s2k has a little motorcycle engine. yet it blew right pass the g35 on 5 different runs at different rolling speeds.

face it. the g35 and the g37, is and always will be a pig at the tracks. no matter how much $$$ u put into "upgrades", our G will be no match against the 335i, s2k, evos and STI's... i was at irwindale last thursday and the a supercharged g35 lost to a turbo integra. hahahaha.

face it people. the G35 & 37 are luxury sports coupe.

Originally Posted by Titanium
What the hell are you talking about?

My point was that they tested one without an oil cooler.

What does a "fresh car" have anything to do with the fact that it still didn't have an oil cooler?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by verbal assassin
face it people. the G35 & 37 are luxury sports coupe.
That's what I've been saying for sooooooo long.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 PM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by Yimbie
That's what I've been saying for sooooooo long.
you said lots of things. you overdid it that it lost its effectiveness. im just teasing man!
you know im starting to appreciate the G37 as i dig more into the disadvantages of the 335i!
it looks like neither of them is anywhere near being perfect. but i'll accept that.

the nice news is my gf decided to order a G37!!!! YOOOHOOO so i guess i'll be driving the bimmer and the G!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 PM
jackygor

Originally Posted by mantisG35
you said lots of things. you overdid it that it lost its effectiveness. im just teasing man!
you know im starting to appreciate the G37 as i dig more into the disadvantages of the 335i!
it looks like neither of them is anywhere near being perfect. but i'll accept that.

the nice news is my gf decided to order a G37!!!! YOOOHOOO so i guess i'll be driving the bimmer and the G!
I love your gf!

must be nice to be able to drive both cars! remember to write us an unbiased and objective review!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by jackygor
must be nice to be able to drive both cars! remember to write us an unbiased and objective review!
I'll do the same when I get my G37 and my brother gets his 335i in August.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
muscarel

Oh I see! and MotorTrend's article wasn't biased or subjective?

They took a 335 from Infiniti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Whats wrong with that picture???????

They got a 335 from the competition!!! from the "enemy" !! Thats not subjective???????

And of course, Infiniti gave them a 335 without the oil cooler, because they wanted the 335 to overheat. The oil cooler was a mistake on BMWs part and Infiniti and MotorTrend took advanatge of that.

The oil cooler issue has now been resolved!!!!

Road and Track should have declared the 335 winner right off the bat because G37's clutch broke down? Would that seem fair to you?

Do you get my point?
I keep seeing this stated. The actual date of the road test was from way back. The report about the break down came out back in April I think. The cars didn't all have oil coolers back then. Yes, it has been addressed. And yes, it did overheat. Their new one ran hot as well.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
LudwigB

Originally Posted by bulldawg1980
I finally had to register for this site so I could post some of my thoughts that don't seem to get mentioned enough on here. Every BMW vs. Infiniti review and comparison or post on this board talks about numbers like 0-60 times, 1/4 miles, steering feel, handling, etc. While it can be fun to focus on these facets of a performance coupe, my decision to trade in my 2001 BMW 325Ci for a new G37 is going to boil down to 2 things:

1) A comparably equipped G will cost anywhere from $5K to $15K less than the BMW. I plan to get a G37 journey sport + premium, which would still have me in 328i territory, not 335i territory. Frankly I don't G.A.S. how a G37 stacks up to a 335i, because I don't have $50K to drop on a 335i as I'm only 26 years old. To me, it's all about G37 vs. 328i, because that is the real world choice that I have. Those of you with more money than me might feel differently, of course.

2) Maintenance and reliability. I have loved my E46 3 series coupe. It handles great and drives smooth, and I have enjoyed it immensly for the past 7 years and 84K miles (as of today). It has also given me just about every problem you can imagine in the way of build quality issues and has ultimately cost me a small fortune to service and repair since my warranty ended. I am planning to get rid of it before the next big thing can go wrong.

So there it is. I'm ready to own a Japanese built car because I no longer trust German reliability. I prefer to give up the BMW paid maintenance covereage in order to gain the longer Infiniti warranty and the 6 yr/70K mile powertrain coverage. I don't care if the G37 gets "second place" to the BMW 335i in ever comparison test between now and then end of the model run. I will be lining up to give Infiniti my hard earned money for a new G37, because I'm sick and tired of giving my hard earned money to the BMW service department.

In the end, these are both amazing cars. Let's just all step back and take a moment to appreciate the fact that our lives are so great that we can actually focus on things as trivial as what performance luxury sport coupe we want to buy next!!! HA! God Bless America happy 4th!!!
The initial cost of a 3 series isn't that bad but the ONE thing that made me went for the G was the reliability issue.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:05 PM
muscarel

You tottaly missed my point.

They did not liked the 335 better just because of the performance. They like all the other things that I have mentioned that have NOHTHING to do with weather conditions or if they tested it on the same day or not.

OK, so the G won one comparison in the slalom. Thank god!

As for the Elise, you are mistaken if you think Elise is in the same category with the 3 series or the G series. Elise is a pure sports car. The 3 series and Infinity cars are NOT sports car, but luxury sport coupes. There is a difference.
Would you like to pick parts out of different reviews that state that the G37 was faster around the track, had less body roll, was faster through the slalom, had a better shifter, better interior, better technology? That's easy enough to do.

Get over it. Go drive both cars and make a decision for yourself. Why would you buy something over what Edmunds, Motor Trend, or whatever has to say?

EDIT: Oh, wait, I just realized you alrady have a 335. Now I get it.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Performancewise Infiniti needs to compete with itself before competing with it's competition. BMW really stepped up it's performance on the 335 over the previous generation. The G didn't make quite as much of a stride vs itself in prior form. Had the G37 improved it's performance by a larger margin over it's predecessor, fewer would care how it competes with the 335.

The things that Infiniti definitely got right on the new G are it's more refined interior, structural rigidity, styling and handling. At this point Infiniti is appealing to a new market of people and are hoping to maintain enough of the previous market to keep sales balanced. They are hoping that the remainder of the previous market will go after the 370Z.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 PM
N50

We all know that for the last few years Infiniti has tried to replicate as much a posible the way the german cars drive.
But I must say...without the competition, we wouldn't be here....so I guess its a good thing....
I agree with this statement. The fact that Infiniti is considered to be the Japanese BMW isn't a bad thing...at all. I guess I'd like Infiniti to be recognized for its accomplishments and weaknesses as an brand rather than always being criticized or lauded in comparison to its BMW counterpart. Then again, I guess that isn't realistic. Competition is competition.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 AM
smokedhen

the most annoying part of the review is when they said, "while the infiniti makes for an awefully impressive bmw wannbe, it's the real thing that still comes up on top"
Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 AM
N50

Originally Posted by smokedhen
the most annoying part of the review is when they said, "while the infiniti makes for an awefully impressive bmw wannbe, it's the real thing that still comes up on top"
Exactly! That's what I'm sayin'! I expect a statement like that from one of the BMW guys on e90post or bimmerfest but I don't expect that kind of a statement from a supposed professional automotive critic such as Edmunds. Instead of saying that, they could have said, "The Infiniti makes for an awefully impressive contender but it is the BMW that comes out on top, once again". Or...something to that effect. IMO, that sounds more approriate than the grossly BMW biased statement they actually made.

Again, not bashing either car but rather Edmunds choice of words.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:24 AM
bloodhound

You tottaly missed my point.

They did not liked the 335 better just because of the performance. They like all the other things that I have mentioned that have NOHTHING to do with weather conditions or if they tested it on the same day or not.

OK, so the G won one comparison in the slalom. Thank god!

As for the Elise, you are mistaken if you think Elise is in the same category with the 3 series or the G series. Elise is a pure sports car. The 3 series and Infinity cars are NOT sports car, but luxury sport coupes. There is a difference.
Off the record, b/t the both of us so far, every1 from your posts can clearly see who "misses points". Your the one that thinks MT tested the infiniti against the 335 that infiniti provided. At this point u look like nothing more than a troll from the bimmer forums whos out to prove his car is infact not the loser that MT has said it is.

On the record, your "they did not like the car just because of performace" line / theory, is in my eyes and other ppl in this forum, is completely undermined by the fact that their WHOLE test was a sham. There was no comparison.

The g won the comparison in the slalom is rite. Id rather have a car that does better through curves than in a straight line. So wats ur point? Your just making the 335 sound like the european mustang. Hey look at me im fast in straight lines. Uh oh thats a curve what do i do now? My point, sarcasm aside, was simply for a car with not a smooth engine, not a better revving engine, not a more performace engine, not a lighter car, not a car that pulls strong on higher rpms, it still beat the 335 in a slalom. What does that say about the 335? idk take it for wat you want to take it. Like i said if a runner lost to a fatter competitor, one not as polished, experience, etc, he should rightfully be down right ashamed (just my opinion).

As per the elise comment, if you read my post clearly you would see it says, the bmw basically is touted for "performance" while sacrificing luxury, technology, etc. If thats how you want to do the comparo, then compare it to another car that sacrifices luxury and tech. like the elise. But you dont want to do that, b/c you kno wat the result of that already is....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
bloodhound

What the hell are you talking about?

My point was that they tested one without an oil cooler.

What does a "fresh car" have anything to do with the fact that it still didn't have an oil cooler?
Assuming you are correct that they tested a car w/o an oil cooler, who's fault would it be that they went to a dealer, or w/e and purchased a 45-55k car that didnt have the oil issue resolved still? Probably infinitis, thats why the BMW is better.....

Quick Reply: Edmunds: G37 vs 335i