Sponsored By:

Edmunds: G37 vs 335i

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 PM
jackygor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Titanium
So many excuses!!

So what if they were compared in different days?

First of all, the 335 is faster than the G37 hands down. No matter which magazine tested it...the 335 was considerably faster.
In most comparisons by 100mph the 335 had over 1 second advantage, which is quite a bit.

Second, they liked the 335 better not just because the performance, but because of the car's ability to "communicate" with the driver. The Feel! the outside temperatures does not change how the car "feels". Like they said: the 335's brakes feel and are better, steering feels better, the chassis feels better, the interior was bigger, better weight distribution and they even like the twin turbo engine better, more torque and better revving...

Third, reliability yes, the Infinity might be a little more reliable, but Nissan/Infinity had their own share of problems including clutch issues for years. BMW's maintenance is free for the first 4 years. I cannot say the same thing about Lexus for example.

On top of all that, the 335's are highly moddable. The 335's have 400 hp with only 1 chip for $1300.

Stop bashing BMW and Edmunds. The G37 will be a great car.
335i is a great car! I agree! and so is the G37, but the thing is, WE DON'T CARE IF THE G37 LOST! We are more concerned about how Edmund didn't do this comparo in a fair and orderly fashion.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 PM
bloodhound

So many excuses!!

First of all, the 335 is faster than the G37 hands down. No matter which magazine tested it...the 335 was considerably faster.
In most comparisons by 100mph the 335 had over 1 second advantage, which is quite a bit.

Second, they liked the 335 better not just because the performance, but because of the car's ability to "communicate" with the driver. The Feel! the outside temperatures does not change how the car "feels". Like they said: the 335's brakes feel and are better, steering feels better, the chassis feels better, the interior was bigger, better weight distribution and they even like the twin turbo engine better, more torque and better revving...

Third, reliability yes, the Infinity might be a little more reliable, but Nissan/Infinity had their own share of problems including clutch issues for years. BMW's maintenance is free for the first 4 years. I cannot say the same thing about Lexus for example.

On top of all that, the 335's are highly moddable. The 335's have 400 hp with only 1 chip for $1300.

Like I asked before you work for Edmunds? We know you own the 335i or so it says in ur sig.

There is no point in comparing two cars when you dont compare them together. Last I checked in Formula 1 racing, they didnt ask the teams wat day of the week they wanted to run on and said hey "team 1 got 30 sec on the lap mond" but "team two got 45 secs on the lap wed" finally deducing "team one is the victor".

Ignorance leads to the following question: Does maintenance cover ware and tear items such as brakes and clutch and tires?

Funny even with all that better engine, more revving, smoother, better chasis, more power, the porky little one still out ran it through the slalom. Could you imagine the shame a world class runner would feel if a "fattie" out ran him/her on a track?

If you really want "feel" (since the bmw is willing to compromise tech. etc for the better "feel" of driving) why not compare how that compares to an Elise then?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Titanium

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Oh there's no debate whether the 335i or G37 is faster. It's the debate whether the Edmund's comparison test was FAIR and OBJECTIVE. From what I've seen about the actual test... it definitely wasn't objective. It doesn't help also when there are editors at Edmunds who own the 335i. I'm sure Edmunds felt that pressure also. I wonder what the test would've been like if they didn't have the OPTIONAL 4WAS system... a thing that Edmunds says is mandatory with the Sport model. If you honestly do believe that there was absolutely no bias towards the 335i and the the comparison test has no inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and is completely objective... then there's something wrong there. Don't get me wrong... I believe that the 335i and G37 are two great vehicles, but the actual comparison test is extremely questionable.
Oh I see! and MotorTrend's article wasn't biased or subjective?

They took a 335 from Infiniti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Whats wrong with that picture???????

They got a 335 from the competition!!! from the "enemy" !! Thats not subjective???????

And of course, Infiniti gave them a 335 without the oil cooler, because they wanted the 335 to overheat. The oil cooler was a mistake on BMWs part and Infiniti and MotorTrend took advanatge of that.

The oil cooler issue has now been resolved!!!!

Road and Track should have declared the 335 winner right off the bat because G37's clutch broke down? Would that seem fair to you?

Do you get my point?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
OCg37

Did you even bother to read the MotorTrend article? They stated that they received a new 335 for the comparison test.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Titanium

Originally Posted by bloodhound
Like I asked before you work for Edmunds? We know you own the 335i or so it says in ur sig.

There is no point in comparing two cars when you dont compare them together. Last I checked in Formula 1 racing, they didnt ask the teams wat day of the week they wanted to run on and said hey "team 1 got 30 sec on the lap mond" but "team two got 45 secs on the lap wed" finally deducing "team one is the victor".

Ignorance leads to the following question: Does maintenance cover ware and tear items such as brakes and clutch and tires?

Funny even with all that better engine, more revving, smoother, better chasis, more power, the porky little one still out ran it through the slalom. Could you imagine the shame a world class runner would feel if a "fattie" out ran him/her on a track?

If you really want "feel" (since the bmw is willing to compromise tech. etc for the better "feel" of driving) why not compare how that compares to an Elise then?

You tottaly missed my point.

They did not liked the 335 better just because of the performance. They like all the other things that I have mentioned that have NOHTHING to do with weather conditions or if they tested it on the same day or not.

OK, so the G won one comparison in the slalom. Thank god!

As for the Elise, you are mistaken if you think Elise is in the same category with the 3 series or the G series. Elise is a pure sports car. The 3 series and Infinity cars are NOT sports car, but luxury sport coupes. There is a difference.

Last edited by Titanium; 07-02-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

The overheated bimmer was replaced with a fresh 335i. Read the article again. We have been over this one numerous times

No need to yell either. We can all hear. Speaking of hearing, did you hear the exhaust note on that new G? whoa. Sounds like an exotic.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
The overheated bimmer was replaced with a fresh 335i. Read the article again. We have been over this one numerous times

No need to yell either. We can all hear. Speaking of hearing, did you hear the exhaust note on that new G? whoa. Sounds like an exotic.
Yeah I know, its sounds HOT!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Oh I see! and MotorTrend's article wasn't biased or subjective?

They took a 335 from Infiniti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Whats wrong with that picture???????

They got a 335 from the competition!!! from the "enemy" !! Thats not subjective???????

And of course, Infiniti gave them a 335 without the oil cooler, because they wanted the 335 to overheat. The oil cooler was a mistake on BMWs part and Infiniti and MotorTrend took advanatge of that.

The oil cooler issue has now been resolved!!!!

Road and Track should have declared the 335 winner right off the bat because G37's clutch broke down? Would that seem fair to you?

Do you get my point?
Ummm... geez, cool down. When did I ever mention Motor Trend and Road and Track?? *sighs* Motor Trend's comparison test has been discussed many times on this forum. Also please look again at the Motor Trend comparison test and you'll see that they got a fresh 335i. With Road and Track.... if you didn't see in their review... they state "The following afternoon, after the BMW had been repaired, I’m in our early production model (No. 33) G37S when the clutch pedal goes to the floor — and doesn’t return." Does that mean anything to you? According to Road and Track... the 335i is for the test track and the G37 is for the Autobahn. I'd rather be driving on the Autobahn than just being on the test track. With the Autobahn, I can get somewhere!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Titanium

I just read the scanned article again. Please show me where they say the 335 was replaced with one that has on oil cooler.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
According to Road and Track... the 335i is for the test track and the G37 is for the Autobahn. I'd rather be driving on the Autobahn than just being on the test track. With the Autobahn, I can get somewhere!
That stuck out in my mind too when I was reading the article and I think the statement is dead on. Like you, I prefer the Autobahn!!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Titanium

Ummm... geez, cool down. When did I ever mention Motor Trend and Road and Track?? *sighs* Motor Trend's comparison test has been discussed many times on this forum. Also please look again at the Motor Trend comparison test and you'll see that they got a fresh 335i. With Road and Track.... if you didn't see in their review... they state "The following afternoon, after the BMW had been repaired, I’m in our early production model (No. 33) G37S when the clutch pedal goes to the floor — and doesn’t return." Does that mean anything to you? According to Road and Track... the 335i is for the test track and the G37 is for the Autobahn. I'd rather be driving on the Autobahn than just being on the test track. With the Autobahn, I can get somewhere!

OK, well go drive on your California Autobahn!!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I just read the scanned article again. Please show me where they say the 335 was replaced with one that has on oil cooler.

Is that a trick question? If I say it says starting with a "fresh car" will you come back and say it doesn't say "fresh car with a oil cooler"? Read again until I give you a passing grade to advance to the fourth grade, please sir.

It's been talked about enough in all circles that you should know this.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
N50

So many excuses!!

Bud, I never bashed BMW. I love the look of the 3...and the torque! In fact, it'll definitely be a car I cross shop with the G...among other cars. Yes, you're right, Edmunds said that the 3 was better in nearly every aspect except price. So be it. My point is that these comparisons can not be written without bias, influence, or doing what will best sell magazines, and you know that. Same goes with MotorTrend, C&D, or any other mag. So, it bothers me that the bias in Edmunds article was so prevalent. They didn't even try to disguise it. The 3 may be the better car (in their opinion) but Edmunds could have phrased it a little different instead of calling the G a "wanna-be" etc... With the looks of things, it doesn't seem that Infiniti is trying to be a 3 "wanna-be" with its new G coupe. It looks as if they are going more GT than anything (but I digress).

Same thing with MotorTrend. If the 3 is truly better in every category then why didn't they say that? Instead they were focusing on the lack of an oil cooler and the price difference (which has been beaten to death). It gets to the point where I don't even want to read these comparisons anymore because, honestly, I don't get too much value out of them. I'd rather drive each car and then form my own opinion.

Last edited by N50; 07-02-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
verbal assassin
Banned

if i had to choose. i would pick the 335i. looks better then the g37, performance wise, kills the g37, but the interior looks a little lacking in that department.

buts its cool.. i've driven the 07 sedan, and the interior wasn't all the great either once u sit in it..
Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Titanium

Is that a trick question? If I say it says starting with a "fresh car" will you come back and say it doesn't say "fresh car with a oil cooler"? Read again until I give you a passing grade to advance to the fourth grade, please sir.

It's been talked about enough in all circles that you should know this.
What the hell are you talking about?

My point was that they tested one without an oil cooler.

What does a "fresh car" have anything to do with the fact that it still didn't have an oil cooler?

Quick Reply: Edmunds: G37 vs 335i