Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Edmunds: G37 vs 335i

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
jackygor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mygiantcircle

1) a couple of us have also highlighted that the G37 should have been compared to the 328i from the price point of view. Some of us are not made of money, so $10K is not chump change.

2) leasing the 335i is the way to go as you would not have to worry about service cost (seems like most are going this route). As for me, I keep my car well pass the warranty period, so reliability is a must. For example, my 1990 300zx, in 17 years, needed a) a 60K major tune up, b) the brake fluid reservoir replaced, c) a new plastic shifter bushing, and c) a new radiator drain cap. That is reliability (hmm....hope I did not jinks my car).

Meanwhile, (and Picus may disagree) the bimmer forums are active with discussions on issues like fuel pump, oil cooler, 5/6 cylinder cooling issues.

I am still looking hard at both choices, but the reliability factor of the 335i scares me.
I can not agree more, but a lot of people seem to excuse that factor when an Infiniti and BMW is being compared.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by bulldawg1980
I finally had to register for this site so I could post some of my thoughts that don't seem to get mentioned enough on here. Every BMW vs. Infiniti review and comparison or post on this board talks about numbers like 0-60 times, 1/4 miles, steering feel, handling, etc. While it can be fun to focus on these facets of a performance coupe, my decision to trade in my 2001 BMW 325Ci for a new G37 is going to boil down to 2 things:

1) A comparably equipped G will cost anywhere from $5K to $15K less than the BMW. I plan to get a G37 journey sport + premium, which would still have me in 328i territory, not 335i territory. Frankly I don't G.A.S. how a G37 stacks up to a 335i, because I don't have $50K to drop on a 335i as I'm only 26 years old. To me, it's all about G37 vs. 328i, because that is the real world choice that I have. Those of you with more money than me might feel differently, of course.

2) Maintenance and reliability. I have loved my E46 3 series coupe. It handles great and drives smooth, and I have enjoyed it immensly for the past 7 years and 84K miles (as of today). It has also given me just about every problem you can imagine in the way of build quality issues and has ultimately cost me a small fortune to service and repair since my warranty ended. I am planning to get rid of it before the next big thing can go wrong.

So there it is. I'm ready to own a Japanese built car because I no longer trust German reliability. I prefer to give up the BMW paid maintenance covereage in order to gain the longer Infiniti warranty and the 6 yr/70K mile powertrain coverage. I don't care if the G37 gets "second place" to the BMW 335i in ever comparison test between now and then end of the model run. I will be lining up to give Infiniti my hard earned money for a new G37, because I'm sick and tired of giving my hard earned money to the BMW service department.

In the end, these are both amazing cars. Let's just all step back and take a moment to appreciate the fact that our lives are so great that we can actually focus on things as trivial as what performance luxury sport coupe we want to buy next!!! HA! God Bless America happy 4th!!!
Those are both good points and have been discussed at certain times here. BMW's don't make bad leases. You can get into a 335 sedan with premium, sport, and heated seats for low 500's with TTL up front. Of course, you can get a fully loaded G Sedan (NAV Tech, etc) and not hit 500. The 335 coupe will be high 500s, if not low 600's to get just premium, sport, and heated seats. I would only lease a BMW so as to not worry about warranty issues.

Last edited by muscarel; 07-02-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM
w2870612

335i stock is fast enough, if you want to get better performance, you just need to spend $1350 to install procede chips to gain extra 50~80 hp and extra 100 torque (it's said 0 to 60 4.5 sec and 12.8 sec 1/4 miles)..unfortunately, even you spend $1350 to change your g37 exhaust, you might gain some tiny performance
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
jackygor

Originally Posted by w2870612
335i stock is fast enough, if you want to get better performance, you just need to spend $1350 to install procede chips to gain extra 50~80 hp and extra 100 torque (it's said 0 to 60 4.5 sec and 12.8 sec 1/4 miles)..unfortunately, even you spend $1350 to change your g37 exhaust, you might gain some tiny performance
Nop, no doubts about that.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 PM
lightspeed

As a brand, BMW is too safely well-established for me. I prefer the underdog that is a rising star. If I see another Infiniti driver, I figure he values the car's specific attributes more than the brand's perceived attributes. I gotta respect that.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by lightspeed
As a brand, BMW is too safely well-established for me. I prefer the underdog that is a rising star. If I see another Infiniti driver, I figure he values the car's specific attributes more than the brand's perceived attributes. I gotta respect that.
Nice post, couldnt agree with you more
Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM
jackygor

+1

You rock!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:00 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by jackygor
I can not agree more, but a lot of people seem to excuse that factor when an Infiniti and BMW is being compared.
Nissan's (Infiniti) reliability isnt so great either. Just take a look at the thousands who have complained about oil consumption issues on the 1000+ page thread over @ My350Z.om & here in G35driver.com. I also have some annoying issues with clicking, which I will be taking in for repairs.

I'm still sure that in regards to reliability, Infiniti > BMW. But don't expect an issue-free vehicle with Infiniti.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
jackygor

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Nissan's (Infiniti) reliability isnt so great either. Just take a look at the thousands who have complained about oil consumption issues on the 1000+ page thread over @ My350Z.om & here in G35driver.com. I also have some annoying issues with clicking, which I will be taking in for repairs.

I'm still sure that in regards to reliability, Infiniti > BMW. But don't expect an issue-free vehicle with Infiniti.

Did you happen to quote the wrong person? I was simply making a statement of how people don't compare the price between BMW and Infiniti's cars enough.

Nothing to say regarding to your comment since I agree with you.

edit: opps, I reread it again, I really only meant to quote the bold part! I was too lazy to delete the last part

Last edited by jackygor; 07-02-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
N50

Amen, brotha! Glad someone else feels that way.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
N50

I respect edmunds opinion for the most part. After all, much like biased news media, (CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc.) I figured someone was going to publish an article completely opposite of MotorTrend's decision...and that's fine. It is the unadulterated BMW bias that really got to me. If Edmunds had published the comparsion from a "sitting on the fence" viewpoint, then I would say, "I respect that." To call the G35 a BMW "wanna-be" and to point out other things that are "BMW-esque", to me, doesn't show profressionalism and and a disability to see both sides without prejudice. The G (and Infiniti) is not unlike BMW, however, they are definite differences between the companies.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by N50
I respect edmunds opinion for the most part. After all, much like biased news media, (CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc.) I figured someone was going to publish an article completely opposite of MotorTrend's decision...and that's fine. It is the unadulterated BMW bias that really got to me. If the published the comparsion sitting on the fence, then I would say, "I respect that." To call the G35 a BMW "wanna-be" and to point out other things that are "BMW-esque", to me, doesn't show profressionalism and and a disability to see both sides without prejudice.
$ talks, some1 is surely making them talk that way....if they came up with that all on their own, they shouldnt b in business...
Old 07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
bulldawg1980

I can't disagree with your math re: leasing, but seeing as I put nearly 20K miles a year on my car for business travel, leasing becomes cost prohibitive. Furthermore, I prefer to pay cash for my cars whenever humanly possibly, although if I want this G37 it looks like I'll have to finance about $15K of it.

A friend of mine did opt for the 328i sedan over the g35 sedan bc, as he found out when comparison shopping, the lower lease factor (or whatever its called) on the BMW meant that a higher priced BMW leased for a lower pmt, essentially bc BMWs hold their value better. In either case, Infiniti wouldn't budge on the lease payment so he went with the BMW but misses the extra power.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Titanium

So many excuses!!

So what if they were compared in different days?

First of all, the 335 is faster than the G37 hands down. No matter which magazine tested it...the 335 was considerably faster.
In most comparisons by 100mph the 335 had over 1 second advantage, which is quite a bit.

Second, they liked the 335 better not just because the performance, but because of the car's ability to "communicate" with the driver. The Feel! the outside temperatures does not change how the car "feels". Like they said: the 335's brakes feel and are better, steering feels better, the chassis feels better, the interior was bigger, better weight distribution and they even like the twin turbo engine better, more torque and better revving...

Third, reliability yes, the Infinity might be a little more reliable, but Nissan/Infinity had their own share of problems including clutch issues for years. BMW's maintenance is free for the first 4 years. I cannot say the same thing about Lexus for example.

On top of all that, the 335's are highly moddable. The 335's have 400 hp with only 1 chip for $1300.

Stop bashing BMW and Edmunds. The G37 will be a great car.

Last edited by Titanium; 07-02-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Titanium
So many excuses!!

So what if they were compared in different days?

First of all, the 335 is faster than the G37 hands down. No matter which magazine tested it...the 335 was considerably faster.
In most comparisons by 100mph the 335 had over 1 second advantage, which is quite a bit.

Second, they liked the 335 better not just because the performance, but beacause of the car's ability to "comunicate" with the driver. The Feel! the outside temperatures does not change how the car "feels". Like they said: the 335's brakes feel and are better, steering feels better, the chasis feels better, the interior was bigger, better weight distribution and they even like the twin turbo engine better, more torque and better reving...

Third, reliability yes, the Infinity might be a little more reliable, but Nissan/Infinity had their own share of problems including clutch issues for years.

On top of all that, the 335's are highly moddable. The 335's have 400 hp with only 1 chip for $1300.

Stop bashing BMW and Edmunds. The G37 will be a great car.
Oh there's no debate whether the 335i or G37 is faster. It's the debate whether the Edmund's comparison test was FAIR and OBJECTIVE. From what I've seen about the actual test... it definitely wasn't objective. It doesn't help also when there are editors at Edmunds who own the 335i. I'm sure Edmunds felt that pressure also. I wonder what the test would've been like if they didn't have the OPTIONAL 4WAS system... a thing that Edmunds says is mandatory with the Sport model. If you honestly do believe that there was absolutely no bias towards the 335i and the the comparison test has no inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and is completely objective... then there's something wrong there. Don't get me wrong... I believe that the 335i and G37 are two great vehicles, but the actual comparison test is extremely questionable.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: G37 vs 335i