G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Edmunds: G37 vs 335i

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:27 AM
truong321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow i just posted this a few hours ago and its already 4 pgs.... who cares if one is better than the other (if it is actually better) its about personal preference.....
Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by truong321
wow i just posted this a few hours ago and its already 4 pgs.... who cares if one is better than the other (if it is actually better) its about personal preference.....
lol ur on page 5 and if you read article / posts you'll understand why its garbage....
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 AM
truong321

if its garbage then why r u looking at it
Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by truong321
if its garbage then why r u looking at it
I looked at the article yes and i wouldnt kno its garbage unless i actually read it...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:35 AM
Titanium

Originally Posted by bloodhound
I looked at the article yes and i wouldnt kno its garbage unless i actually read it...
Why is the article garbage? Because the G37 lost? So what? The G37 is still a great car for less money.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by Titanium
Why is the article garbage? Because the G37 lost? So what? The G37 is still a great car for less money.
Read the all the posts in this thread ....
I wouldnt call it "g37 lost" especially when they werent even tested together....
Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 AM
SilkeG

Yikes! So much inconsistency (4WAS mandatory then they say it's optional etc.) and subjectiveness (comparos under different conditions etc.) worded like it was supposed to be objective ... think BMW marketing has got some of em by the b___s . I like both Infiniti and BMW but BMW's marketing fingers work hard to squeeze every bit outta yer, um ... pockets.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 AM
LudwigB

Originally Posted by SilkeG
Yikes! So much inconsistency (4WAS mandatory then they say it's optional etc.) and subjectiveness (comparos under different conditions etc.) worded like it was supposed to be objective ... think BMW marketing has got some of em by the b___s . I like both Infiniti and BMW but BMW's marketing fingers work hard to squeeze every bit outta yer, um ... pockets.
The "4WAS being mandatory" is a kind of a suspect.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Titanium
I personally don't mind that the G37 "lost" to the 335i as I expected it. What I have an issue with is how Edmunds actually compared both vehicles and the inconsistences that are in the comparison test and the actual vehicles that they used.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by LudwigB
The "4WAS being mandatory" is a kind of a suspect.
Yeah... according to Infiniti, it's an option... I'll make a post in the morning after I wake up listing all the issues that I have with it... because it's quite a bit.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by LudwigB
The article is a kind of a suspect.
I fixed ur post...lol
Old 07-02-2007, 02:51 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by Yimbie
I personally don't mind that the G37 "lost" to the 335i as I expected it. What I have an issue with is how Edmunds actually compared both vehicles and the inconsistences that are in the comparison test and the actual vehicles that they used.
They were not compared together. If these cars were running side by side i highly doubt that 2ft over to the side that the g was it was 20 degrees warmer and same thing if they ran one after another...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:53 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Yeah... according to Infiniti, it's an option... I'll make a post in the morning after I wake up listing all the issues that I have with it... because it's quite a bit.
Chances are you can just read all my posts in this thread and will probably end up finding ur issues in them....
Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by bloodhound
They were not compared together. If these cars were running side by side i highly doubt that 2ft over to the side that the g was it was 20 degrees warmer and same thing if they ran one after another...
Oh I know that.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:35 AM
muscarel

What I find interesting is that if you go to their final summary scoring, and you weigh the price category correctly, the G37 wins. I'm assuming that Infiniti got 100% and the BMW got 91.1% because the BMW is 91.1% of the G37's price (mathematically works out close 91.8). In reality, a fully equipped 335 is $54k and you still don't get the equal tech of the Infiniti. The actual percentage is 78%. Plug that in, and the results change to put the G37 in 1st place.

The most disturbing thing is where they say that all 6mt's get the 4WAS. I hope that is not true. That definitely should be an option, especially since almost all tests have been hampered by this system due to weight and understeering.

Otherwise, the review is as expected. Same old story - pass over the BMW's faults and exaggerate the Infiniti's.

If the BMW has a slower slalom speed due to it's "soft" suspension, then they come back with something about how it felt better going through the slalom. If the view out of the car wasn't as exciting (they compared the G to a ferrari), then it's because BMW is "down to business". The BMW steering ratio is not as aggressive as the Inifniti's, but it "felt" like it was. The G had a "relative lack of high end vigor" but then they show a dyno that reveals the G is making 30-40 more lb-ft of torque at redline. The G doesn't like to change direction but it achieved a 2 mph higher slalom and they themselves mention when talking about the 335 "the limits are very approachable and can't be pushed with comfort. Ultimately, the 335i is not as comfortable in fast transitions as the G37." Where was that in the review?

I also like how they said on two occassions that they dyno'd the cars because they couldn't explain the performance difference between the G and 335. And they discovered that the 335 was underrated. Meanwhile, Edmunds has already written multiple articles about this. How fake.

All that being said, outside of the straight line stuff, the rest was all subjective (even when their objective tests told them otherwise). Which could be genuine. If the people driving the cars happened to like the BMW better (maybe they just prefer the German-esque feel of the BMW), then that will come out in their review. I would use this test more for the data that they collected than anything else. Everyone should drive the car and decide for themselves. As an example: I've driven a 2007 G35 Sedan and was as impressed with it as I was the 335 I test drove. One of the things I didn't like about the 335 was the clutch engagement. I learned later on these forums that BMW has what they call a clutch delay valve that makes for awkward hard shifting. But Edmunds said the clutch engagement is smooth. That part of the review alone made me realize how different people's opinions of one thing could be. Where I saw the clutch engagement as a big disappointment on the 335, they saw it as smooth.

Just wanted to add - Edmunds might be biased, but then again, so might Motor Trend. Ultimately, it is a personal choice. These are both fantastic cars - one perhaps being more driver oriented at the sacrifice of technology, ergonomics, cost and reliability. Depending on how one prioritizes these items, will affect their own purchase choice. I can't wait to test drive these two back to back.

Last edited by muscarel; 07-02-2007 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: G37 vs 335i