Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Edmunds: G37 vs 335i

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:31 AM
bloodhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Titanium
We all know that for the last few years Infiniti has tried to replicate as much a posible the way the german cars drive.
But I must say...without the competition, we wouldn't be here....so I guess its a good thing....
And does that mean that BMW has never taken an idea from any other company? Not from Porsche or Ferrari or Mercedes, no1?

I agree with your observance about competition.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
bloodhound

[QUOTE=muscarel]Would you like to pick parts out of different reviews that state that the G37 was faster around the track, had less body roll, was faster through the slalom, had a better shifter, better interior, better technology? That's easy enough to do.

Get over it. Go drive both cars and make a decision for yourself. Why would you buy something over what Edmunds, Motor Trend, or whatever has to say?

EDIT: Oh, wait, I just realized you alrady have a 335. Now I get it.[/QUOTE]
LOL i said that like 3 pages back....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Performancewise Infiniti needs to compete with itself before competing with it's competition. BMW really stepped up it's performance on the 335 over the previous generation. The G didn't make quite as much of a stride vs itself in prior form. Had the G37 improved it's performance by a larger margin over it's predecessor, fewer would care how it competes with the 335.

The things that Infiniti definitely got right on the new G are it's more refined interior, structural rigidity, styling and handling. At this point Infiniti is appealing to a new market of people and are hoping to maintain enough of the previous market to keep sales balanced. They are hoping that the remainder of the previous market will go after the 370Z.
I firmly agree with your first comment. If i was a car manufacturer, i would keep test my car against the previous gen and making sure it blew that away firmly. Chances are, everything else (comparo's against other cars) will fall into place if you started out right. At the same respect, you dont want to make your other cars look like complete waste and undermine your own sales (i.e. 135i versus 335i) I wonder wat titanium will say when the 135 hits the road and gets the same procede chip and blows his 15k more car away...
Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Titanium

Originally Posted by bloodhound
I firmly agree with your first comment. If i was a car manufacturer, i would keep test my car against the previous gen and making sure it blew that away firmly. Chances are, everything else (comparo's against other cars) will fall into place if you started out right. At the same respect, you dont want to make your other cars look like complete waste and undermine your own sales (i.e. 135i versus 335i) I wonder wat titanium will say when the 135 hits the road and gets the same procede chip and blows his 15k more car away...
LOL!

The 135 is about 200 pounds lighter, so the difference in performance will not be that great.

Knowing BMW, they will probably put cheaper stuff in it. Navigation and iDrive and some other premium options will probably not be available, but I might be wrong. In other words, it will not have much luxury.

Personally, I don't like the look of the 135. I would never buy one. So it really doesn't bother me if a cheaper car will smoke me. Hell, you can make a cheap Civic faster than a Viper, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm just wondering if BMW is not shooting themselves in the foot, with the release of the 135. I might eat away the sales from the 335. Will see.

Last edited by Titanium; 07-03-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 AM
muscarel

LOL!

The 135 is about 200 pounds lighter, so the difference in performance will not be that great.

Knowing BMW, they will probably put cheaper stuff in it. Navigation and iDrive and some other premium options will probably not be available, but I might be wrong. In other words, it will not have much luxury.

Personally, I don't like the look of the 135. I would never buy one. So it really doesn't bother me if a cheaper car will smoke me. Hell, you can make a cheap Civic faster than a Viper, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm just wondering if BMW is not shooting themselves in the foot, with the release of the 135. I might eat away the sales from the 335. Will see.

I-drive will be available (read the official press release). It has the same engine and same transmission gear ratios. What else does the 335 have tech-wise that the 135 won't have?

The design of the interior is the same as the 335 if not slighly better. The material quality looks like a notch down from the 335.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 AM
mantisG35

LOL!

you make it sound like BMW will make the 135 a nissan!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM
mygiantcircle

LOL!

Waaaait...over the last 2 weeks, didn't I read one trillion zillion gabillion threads that complained about how the G37 is a pig cause it's 200lbs heavier and so the performance is affected blah blah blah???

Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

^^^I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Weight is a plague around here and 200 lbs is.....well......a lot
Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Sukairain

200lbs is huge~ add that to the 3L BMW TT motor and I wonder why anyone would pay more for a M3........ besides maybe the 135 would be too ugly for most people's taste.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
mygiantcircle

Originally Posted by Sukairain
200lbs is huge~ add that to the 3L BMW TT motor and I wonder why anyone would pay more for a M3........ besides maybe the 135 would be too ugly for most people's taste.
larger back seats.

more proportioned body
Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
lightspeed

LOL!

I thought the 1-series was conceived as BMW's attempt to compete with Nissan, Honda and Toyota. Since Infiniti, Acura and Lexus have taken huge chunks of market share from BMW (and Mercedes and Audi), and are backed by their parent companies, the Germans have to find market share in territory traditionally dominated by the Japanese big three. Hence the upcoming 135, Audi A3 and Mercedes A-class.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM
jnmunsey
Banned

Nissan needs to come out with a new 510 to compete with the 135..
Old 07-04-2007, 03:39 AM
bloodhound

LOL!

The g coupe being 200 lbs heaver than 335i was never an "selling" point as to why the 335i is faster?

Who cares if BMW puts cheaper stuff in it, it will still beat a 335i up and down a track, and its made by BMW. Atleast nissan isnt making a sentra stock that will out run the g37. What does that say about the car manufactuer? They dont care about the driver, theyre more interested in squeezing every1 for $.

I dont like the look of the 1 series at all, and thats an understatement. We agree there.

Your civic can be made faster than a viper comment goes to imply that one is buying the car because its a "viper" and not because the civic can be made "faster". So therefore you bought the car because its a "BMW". Thank you for showing your true colors. Well in either which case, its still not a Ferrari. I wonder wat the Ferrari's and Lambo owners say about your 335i?

And believe it or not some of the ppl here are actually buying the g37 because its better than BMW on the inside. For wat its worth, if some1 wanted to put the $ into it, the infiniti has the larger displacement engine, and can be made to beat the 335i proceded or not. But not every1 will do that, because the ppl here are buying the car b/c its flat out better for the $ or quality (interior, etc) that they are looking for.

Last edited by bloodhound; 07-04-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
mygiantcircle

Originally Posted by bloodhound
The g coupe being 200 lbs heaver than 335i was never an "selling" point as to why the 335i is faster?

Who cares if BMW puts cheaper stuff in it, it will still beat a 335i up and down a track, and its made by BMW. Atleast nissan isnt making a sentra stock that will out run the g37. What does that say about the car manufactuer? They dont care about the driver, theyre more interested in squeezing every1 for $.
Respectfully I disagree with your statement.

With the 135, BMW returns to its true performance route: a lighter car with great power-to-weight ratio, can handle well, and is priced right. A bean counter would say BMW is eating into its 335i sales, and I have to give it to BMW because they are giving its customers CHOICES!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by mygiantcircle
Respectfully I disagree with your statement.

With the 135, BMW returns to its true performance route: a lighter car with great power-to-weight ratio, can handle well, and is priced right. A bean counter would say BMW is eating into its 335i sales, and I have to give it to BMW because they are giving its customers CHOICES!

Respectfully I say, thats cool.

Just some food for thought. BMW is returning to its true performance route or is this BMW Marketing aiming to squeeze every last dollar from every1's pocket that they can? BMW is in the business of making cars. My View: They could care less what the car actually does, but as long as they can bring in more $, they will sell it anyway they can.

So I guess a 135i wont eat into a 335i? Just thinking for a sec, if i was a performance oriented guy, Id go with the 135i. If i was a looks, tech guy Id go with the g37. So where does that leave the 335i? You and I know its just a matter of time before the 135i guys get on the road and whoop the *** of the 335i's out there (and many other cars). You really think BMW cares about that? In a tier system, such as cars, if your paying more money, logically you should get a better car in every aspect. How do you think the 335i owner will feel about the 135i when it comes out? "Hey I just paid so much more money for my 335, it loses in every performance category, but hey I guess it looks better" Kinda deja vu b/c of some of the g37 supporter responses (but g37 is cheaper than 335i). Ever encounter a family where the oldest son (all performace family lol) is driving a hyundai, and the middle son gets nice 135i? The oldest will feel scorned b/c he should have gotten priority(thats your 335i owner, esp since they are paying more $) (Remember that was just and example and not some1 ur expected to have encountered). Only (a) parent(s) that didnt give a **** about their kids would do that.

Now if BMW really cared about returning to "its roots" wouldnt they save the tier balance (since the 135 is already out in Europe) and they knew they were bringing it here why not detune it a little? R&D money would go up, even if it was another 2g for one tech to say hey dont run it on 7 psi boost, run it on 5 psi boost. They didnt. Why? Because its cheaper for them to seal the deal on the car with the exact same engine as the 335i. If they cared about their "drivers" and returning to their "roots" they would do the right thing and not "screw" their 335i fan base. For god sake they knew they were bringing this car here well in advance. They could have offered the 335i with oh idk and LSD (and not on the 135i, etc)? Something to differentiate the two cars aside from looks. But no, b/c spending even a few thousand to keep order in the tier would be eating away from the $ profit they would make. (please dont tell me they will fix this in the years to come, as they've known about their move to bring the car here prior to and could have done it the right way the first time around; their actions are already taken)
Minimize overhead, increase profit. Sure sounds like a company thats "returning to its roots"

If a company was seriously returning to its "roots" ideally it would give you unbelievable amounts of value in the car for an absurdly low value. Idk? Random numbers how about a 335i for 39k (there really is no company that does this)? You and I both know it can be done if they produced the rite volume. But they wont, b/c they dont want to, b/c imo they dont care about their roots, they care about wats at the root of your wallet.
The above is my opinion and just some food for thought. This is a half assed incomplete post as it is late. I will clean it up / add to it tom.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: G37 vs 335i