Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Are you disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:18 AM
FAST1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you disappointed?

I expect that the vast majority of this forum's members are into performance, but based on the initial reviews, it's apparent that Infiniti believes that it can sell more G37 coupes by building a stylish coupe that is orientated more to luxury than performance. Since the average Joe is attracted by a car's HP number, the G37's 330 HP will certainly get a lot of people excited.

From the reviews that I have read, the G37 coupe is much more luxurious than the G35 but the significant performance improvement that most of us hoped for apparently hasn't materialized. Nevertheless, I expect the G37 coupe will sell well since it looks great, performs well, and it will be moderately priced when compared to its BMW and Lexus competition. It would have been geat however if Infiniti built a performance version of the G37 that focussed on all out peformance, much like BMW does with its M series.

A G37 coupe that weighed at least 150 lbs less and had gearing and suspension tuned for all out performance. In other words a 13 sec 1/4 mile car that would handle as well as a M3, but was priced $10K less.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Dxb2

Am not dissapointed but as long as its a sportcar and a coupe performance will be one of the most important factors ,I Wish infiniti make a sport version of the g37 which stands between the GTR and the g37 To compete with the rs4 and the m3 ..

Last edited by Dxb2; 06-29-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
muscarel

I think disappointed mught be too negative. I will say I am surprised that the G37 hasn't pulled at least a 13.7 yet. I assumed a few ticks below that of the sedan, but that hasn't materialized yet.

That being said, people seem to be looking at the performance of the new sedan and assuming that the old G35 coupe was the same. This new G37 seems to be equal or MAYBE a tick faster than the current sedan, but it is still appreciably faster than the old coupe. Have there been any road tests of the G35 coupe (05,06,07)? I know the 04's were mid-14 second cars, so 13.9's is a big improvment. I recently drve an 07 G35x and was blown away. It is night and day compared to my coupe. For those coming from the 1st gen coupes, I think the G37 will be a big improvement all around.

Otherwise, I welcome the improved shifter, clutch, engine smoothness, and technology. Every negative of the old coupe has been addressed and refined. And it should as this is Infiniti, the upscale brand of Nissan. I don't think the car has gone too muted (ala Lexus) but we'll know soon enough when we get our hands on them.

So, basically, the car is a home run - except they should have at least made sure that the car was noticeably faster than the sedan. Then again, the sedan has always been equal to the coupe (if not faster). Back in 04, the coupe put out 280 Hp and the sedan 260. So, on paper the coupe should have been faster but it wasn't. Same thing this time around.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
mantisG35

make it a poll. i'd vote for disappointed
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Not disappointed at all. I think Infiniti did an amazing job with the G37.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:48 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Nope
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 AM
GreenGoblin
sfl g club president

I am not dissapointed, i think that the overall improvements were well needed and hopefully taken care of
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
BrianV

I was going to wait for the Coupe but went ahead and just purchased a brand new sedan; finding a 6MT was a challenge but I got it equipped how I wanted. I prefer having four doors and if there's no significant performance advantage for sacrificing two doors, then to me it was a no brainer. Plus a similarly loaded sedan is cheaper. Had the Coupe had sub 13.5 second 1/4 mile times, I'd have continued my wait for the Coupe.

I just wasn't about to wait and fight through the dealer markup, MSRP+ sales, and dealer snobbishness.

Really happy with the sedan though.

On a similar note, I'm curious how many (if any) have canceled their orders?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
AuxNuke

Coming from someone who drives the competition, I'm not disappointed in the new G at all. I think the revised style, performance, technology, and standard features makes it a very worthy competitor to all of the sport / lux coupes.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM
SilverII

not at all.....

I like it.... wish I had one.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
bostonmerlin

Fast, this would have been a good poll. the last one we created to gauge member response was way before all the latest rags and pics.

As far as being disappointed.. heck no. unlike your OP.. I'm not stuck on performance. The orig G is/was plenty fast for most everyone who purchased it.. if not.. they did a mod. In order of priority looks>luxury>performance... BUT.. if the performance was severely lacking i wouldn't buy the new G. Because the new G's performance (by all accounts so far) is at least comparable to the current coupe 07.. i have absolutely no problem with it. Theres only so much I'm going to do with a car on the road back-n-forth to work. I don't need more power for the sake of having more power...esp if that "severely" effects gas mileage. If when i hit the gas i have a smile.. then the performance is plenty enough for me.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
fkat
Registered Member

Disappointed??? We haven't even really seen the car, driven it. Yes we saw pics and interior feels like the sedan. For me I drive only Nissan because I like the feel of a car, engineering, craftsmanship, and the history of the company. Performance is not at the top of my list. If it is for you then you should get the fastest your $$$ can buy, not this car. I get it based on the value, looks, styling and drivability and technology, pretty much in that order. G37 looks good on paper so far.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 AM
LudwigB

I think Infiniti figured that, since most "performance seeking buyers" have probably already spent their money on the G35 coupe, and since most of them will probably not trade in their G35 for the G37, in order to expand the G coupe market, they have to come up with something new. I guess is that the G37 will appeal to a new group of buyers who gravitate toward more luxury than performance. This strategy will only work if the next 350Z (or 370Z) is a true Cayman contender.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not disappointed in the least... well, I guess Infiniti COULD have offered ventilated front seats. That would have made me purchase the Tech package.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Rampant

Unfortunately, I am disappointed. But, ONLY because I saw/fell in love with the harder lines of the concept and place a high degree of importance on weight (as it directly effects driving feel and is very difficult to change in the aftermarket).

I just had higher hopes for the car, fueled by the more aggressive concept which potentially signaled a more aggressive car. The production version seems to be much softer in execution -- both in design and setup.

That being said, I am still interested in the car and will certainly wait until a test drive to see if it will earn my sale. It just wasn't the done deal it was before.

Had I not seen the concept, I probably wouldn't be disappointed. There is no denying it is a great car -- especially if the pricing doesn't increase by much.

Quick Reply: Are you disappointed?