Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM
mal_TX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkozak
No manufacturer will publish numbers that can not be backed up by fairly conservative. German manufacturers publish such number and magazines beat the published by a sizable amount. If Infiniti were to publish, they would say 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (maybe 5.6 or 5.8) because the engineers told the magazines at Barber that the G37 should reach 0-60 in mid to high 5's.

Now, if Infiniti published 5.7 seconds, you and many others would be all over them for how slow the car is.

You want to know how fast it is? Buy one, drive it and then tell us how it compares to your G35.

Don't have to buy one to drive it.. but I'll probably test drive one. I did have an 07 sedan loaner one day. That thing felt very quick -- I chirped the rear tires from a roll around 40mph just by stabbing the throttle in 2nd gear. Crazy. If the G37 is as fast or close to that, I'll be looking to trade-in just to get the new technology features, stiffer chassis, and quieter ride. If it's fastER, even better!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I am not sure how erroneous those numbers could really be since more than one mag is getting them.
Really? Besides Edmunds, C&D and Motor Trend, who else has published numbers?

Edmunds tested at their home facilities in LA. Their review said the 5AT G37 is faster than their 6MT 07 G35 sedan, which was faster than their 6MT 06
G35 coupe. Since they are the only ones with consistent testing places and procedures, I can definitely conclude from their tests that the 5AT G37 is the fastest G they have yet tested. And, since historically 6MT G's are faster than 5AT G's, the 6MT G should be the fastest G yet.

Whether it is fast enough for you, well, only you can decide. But, like others, including Boston Merlin, does it really make that much of a difference if the car does 5.1 or 5.3 0-60? If it really makes that much of a difference to you, then you should not buy it.

Last edited by dmkozak; 06-26-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Edmunds tested at their home facilities in LA. Their review said the 5AT G37 is faster than their 6MT 07 G35 sedan, which was faster than their 6MT 06
G35 coupe. Since they are the only ones with consistent testing places and procedures, I can definitely conclude from their tests that the 5AT G37 is the fastest G they have yet tested. And, since historically 6MT G's are faster than 5AT G's, the 6MT G should be the fastest G yet.

Whether it is fast enough for you, well, only you can decide. But, like others, including Boston Merlin, does it really make that much of a difference if the car does 5.1 or 5.3 0-60? If it really makes that much of a difference to you, then you should not buy it.
Exactly how I feel, dmkozak. Thank you very much for your post.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Are you implying that I should not buy it?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by mal_TX
I did have an 07 sedan loaner one day. That thing felt very quick -- If the G37 is as fast or close to that, I'll be looking to trade-in
Well, better get ready. Forgetting about numbers (I wonder why so many people only look at numbers and do not read the article!), if you believe Edmunds, Edmunds says the 5AT G37 is faster than their 06 MT 07 G35 sedan. If your loaner was a 5AT (I assume it was because I have never seen 6MT loaners.), then it was slower than Edmunds' 6MT, which was slower than their 5AT G37, which should be slower than the 6MT G37. Now, you should know where you stand and why you will be trading the 06 in an 08.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Well, better get ready. Forgetting about numbers (I wonder why so many people only look at numbers and do not read the article!), if you believe Edmunds, Edmunds says the 5AT G37 is faster than their 06 MT 07 G35 sedan. If your loaner was a 5AT (I assume it was because I have never seen 6MT loaners.), then it was slower than Edmunds' 6MT, which was slower than their 5AT G37, which should be slower than the 6MT G37. Now, you should know where you stand and why you will be trading the 06 in an 08.
You might keep in mind that the 5AT sedan dynoed in one comparison at just 2 hp less than the 6MT. So the 5AT and 6MT G37 are probably going to have the same results. When comparing numbers from multiple mags who have tested various trannies and got the same results I think what we have is what we have.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

So far, the 5AT 07 Sedans have been as fast, if not faster, than the 6MT's in the rear world(at the track).
Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
its a "luxury" sports coupe! I want the luxury and the look and the performance... thats how I see infiniti advertising this car. If you dont want the weight..dont want the luxury.. then look elsewhere. The g37 "is what it is". Its not changing anytime soon.
RIGHT ON!!!!!

DIRECT FROM THE C&D ARTICLE:

The Verdict

Performance, Style and Luxury all in one place. And in THAT order.

This is one hell of a car, period with C&D putting performance first, so all you haters get a life. I think Infiniti did come through on this evolution of the G coupe. Maybe it didn't meet the concept goals for you, or it gained some weight that you aren't happy about. BFD. It's so good on so many levels and you still find things to rag about.... sad really. as always, NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
RIGHT ON!!!!!

DIRECT FROM THE C&D ARTICLE:

The Verdict

Performance, Style and Luxury all in one place. And in THAT order.

This is one hell of a car, period with C&D putting performance first, so all you haters get a life. I think Infiniti did come through on this evolution of the G coupe. Maybe it didn't meet the concept goals for you, or it gained some weight that you aren't happy about. BFD. It's so good on so many levels and you still find things to rag about.... sad really. as always, NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!
So true! All the magazines seem very pleased with the G37 and they all agree that it's a definite evolution above the G35 coupe (not just because of performance)... but a lot of G35 owners have a hard time accepting it. If they something to whine about... they'll whine about it to death. Why not accept for the G37 for the way it came out because guess what... Infiniti won't change it for 08. Why not whine to INFINITI and not on a G forum? *sighs* If you complain directly to Infiniti, I think that will help more than complaining here... what will we do? lol

Everyone just focuses on the "bad" things about the car and just attack those aspects. It's like my mom and my grades... A, A, A, A, B, A... Mom: "WTH is that B doing there? I'm going to beat your ***!" Well.... maybe not that extreme. Even with all those A's... she only focuses on that one B and goes all out on that one thing. It's what I feel a lot of people are doing on here.

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-26-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Yimbie
So true! All the magazines seem very pleased with the G37 and they all agree that it's a definite jump above the G35 coupe (not just because of performance)... but a lot of G35 owners have a hard time accepting it. If they something to whine about... they'll whine about it to death. Why not accept for the G37 for the way it came out because guess what... Infiniti won't change it for 08. Everyone just focuses on the "bad" things about the car and just attack those aspects.
I don't think you quite get it. For the most part, this is an enthusiast's forum. The vast majority of members here bought the first generation cars because of the performance, be it 1/4 time, real tracking, autocrossing, or just having fun on some mountain roads. This car doesn't excel over the first gen in any measurable performance category.

Infiniti had a formula and product plan for the first generation. They wanted to beat the 3 series. It was a two part attack: offer better performance for less money. For round two, they can now only offer "nearly the same" performance for less money.

As a fan of the brand, I'm sad to see that Infiniti is no longer competitive. Sure, a magazine picked the g37 for first place. Big friggin deal. Did that magazine article increase your ***** size? Will it feet hungry children? The only thing that I took away from the Motortrend article is that the g37 had similar handling characteristics to a non-sport 335i, was slower, and accomplished all this miraculously for thousands less.

The G37 is now a known quantity. The interior is just like the 07 sedan(which is quite nice, my wife drives one), which IMO is better than the 3 series all day long. But that's it. It's got a nice interior, and it's cheaper. Wow. Great job Infiniti.

How about keeping the same drivetrain, and find a way to lose 300 pounds. It would be faster(stock for stock, possibly the fastest in it's segment), and it would handle even better. Have you considered that? That extra weight impacts everything having to do with the car. Handling dynamics, acceleration, stopping distances, weight transition, and fuel economy(in case you didn't notice that's another area where the bimmer bested the coupe).

Infiniti had the option to duplicate the success of the first gen car, but lost the target.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I don't think you quite get it. For the most part, this is an enthusiast's forum. The vast majority of members here bought the first generation cars because of the performance, be it 1/4 time, real tracking, autocrossing, or just having fun on some mountain roads. This car doesn't excel over the first gen in any measurable performance category.

Infiniti had a formula and product plan for the first generation. They wanted to beat the 3 series. It was a two part attack: offer better performance for less money. For round two, they can now only offer "nearly the same" performance for less money.

As a fan of the brand, I'm sad to see that Infiniti is no longer competitive. Sure, a magazine picked the g37 for first place. Big friggin deal. Did that magazine article increase your ***** size? Will it feet hungry children? The only thing that I took away from the Motortrend article is that the g37 had similar handling characteristics to a non-sport 335i, was slower, and accomplished all this miraculously for thousands less.

The G37 is now a known quantity. The interior is just like the 07 sedan(which is quite nice, my wife drives one), which IMO is better than the 3 series all day long. But that's it. It's got a nice interior, and it's cheaper. Wow. Great job Infiniti.

How about keeping the same drivetrain, and find a way to lose 300 pounds. It would be faster(stock for stock, possibly the fastest in it's segment), and it would handle even better. Have you considered that? That extra weight impacts everything having to do with the car. Handling dynamics, acceleration, stopping distances, weight transition, and fuel economy(in case you didn't notice that's another area where the bimmer bested the coupe).

Infiniti had the option to duplicate the success of the first gen car, but lost the target.
Do you know what Infiniti's goal with this G37 is? I think your hopes and visions for it are different than Infiniti's hopes and visions. Did Infiniti want to make the G37 for enthusiasts or for the general luxury sports coupe audience? From what I know... they had completely different goals for this car from the start than from what many of the people on these forums hoped... as you said.. it is an enthusiast forum. They even EXPECTED the G37 to be in the mid-5 second area even though many people on here expected the G37 to be in the high 4s-low 5s... different hopes and goals.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Sure, a magazine picked the g37 for first place. Big friggin deal. Did that magazine article increase your ***** size? Will it feet hungry children? The only thing that I took away from the Motortrend article is that the g37 had similar handling characteristics to a non-sport 335i, was slower, and accomplished all this miraculously for thousands less.
Exactly how I feel but people just had to complain about Motor Trend and the test. I congratulated both cars for their excellence but nooo.... others had to just complain about that call and then a whole debate arose. It's a magazine... it's a group of people with their opinions and their OWN review... why attack their opinions?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM
G35Wizard

Originally Posted by chilibowl
C&D sucks at launching cars. Seriously, this car is a mid 13-second car with a low 0-60.
no way a mid 13sec car...you need a <2sec 0-60' launch, and 0-60 time of 5.0 or under to achieve that... with only 30+hp, basically same TQ and the new G37 being about 200lb heavier, compared to current Gcoupes, the car's performance is pretty much equal...top end is where it will pulll ahead, but not by much though.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
ratm68

Originally Posted by Yimbie
OMG thank you for that post bostonmerlin, that's exactly how I feel. All the constant whining about a car that you don't have to buy on a forum to where there are a lot of people buying it? I don't get it. Why do you whine on a forum of future G37 owners? The G37 is an excellent car for what.... 10k less than the BMW and with it being almost so equal with the Bimmer for that much less? That I say is a great feat by Infiniti.

I think a lot of people are disapointed in the '08 coupe. It sounds like you're looking for people to give praise on the g37 so you can feel better about your buying decision. Perhap the potential buyers can find some of the disapointed expressed informal, rather than always relying on the "newer = better" theory of purchasing. Nobody's trying to knock on the g37, i think people (including myself) had higher expectation.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
muscarel

The G37 6mt ran a slower 0-60 (5.4), 0.1 second faster 1/4 mile (13.8), and 1 mph slower trap speed (102) according to edmunds. When you go to the review, hit performance and specs, and the 6mt numbers are there. Or is that data for something else?

Quick Reply: 08 G37 6mt vs. 06 G35 Coupe 6mt performance