BMW 335i and Infiniti G37

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
G-WannaBe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A weighty question.....

Stock 2007 vs. Coupes of the past:
(not infiniti, but in general)

Heated, 8 way power leather seats, both Drv and passgnr, front and rear crumple zones, air bags galore, CD changers, 50 speaker radio systems, heated exterior rear vw mirrors, washing head light bumper blasters, on board computers, NAV systems, Air conditioning just to cool down the seats, side impact standards that never existed 10 years ago, Ipod 10 GIG docking stations, (man from 1992 - WTF is an ipod???) 19+ inch rims, 14+ inch rotors, 265 Z rated rubbers, AWS, AWD, power assited everything, windows, doors, remote alarms, comfort access, BT phone assist systems, On-Star little-man-in-the dash help me i'm lost systems, Steering wheels with more controls then entire dashboads from 10 yrs ago, and enough wiring to manage all of the above will take you round the Nurburg ring 20 times, and a 10,000 Amp car battery to run enough electrics to light a small city, (or all of the above for 1 day)

Did I miss anything? Oh Yeah - and lots of these coups dont come with full size spares anymore!! How funny is that, tons of weight gain, and the loss of a full size spare for a can of instant air!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 PM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by Yimbie
If they're reliable... would you consider one? It seems as though all you care about is performance.
not ALL i care about. i do care about other things too. but if performance is not present then i dont even consider the car.
when i got my G35 my criteria was the car should do 1/4 mile under 15 seconds, and 0-60 under 6 seconds.
now that's changed. i want 1/4 mile around 13.5 and 0-60 less than 5.1 seconds with good handling (i.e ruling mustangs, dodge and all that crap out)
as for other features i didnt want anything else but a auto-dimming mirror in the car.
but this time around the car must have navi, bluetooth, heated seat, homelink button to open garage, and heated seats.
dang it, the more i think about it the more i realize im describing the Cayman S. damn, but that's too expensive and probably cost a fortune to maintain. hmm...

the new 430 hp corvette is nice and doesnt look THAT cheap altho still looks cheap. but i dont mind it if it's reliable.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
Stock 2007 vs. Coupes of the past:
(not infiniti, but in general)

Heated, 8 way power leather seats, both Drv and passgnr, front and rear crumple zones, air bags galore, CD changers, 50 speaker radio systems, heated exterior rear vw mirrors, washing head light bumper blasters, on board computers, NAV systems, Air conditioning just to cool down the seats, side impact standards that never existed 10 years ago, Ipod 10 GIG docking stations, (man from 1992 - WTF is an ipod???) 19+ inch rims, 14+ inch rotors, 265 Z rated rubbers, AWS, AWD, power assited everything, windows, doors, remote alarms, comfort access, BT phone assist systems, On-Star little-man-in-the dash help me i'm lost systems, Steering wheels with more controls then entire dashboads from 10 yrs ago, and enough wiring to manage all of the above will take you round the Nurburg ring 20 times, and a 10,000 Amp car battery to run enough electrics to light a small city, (or all of the above for 1 day)

Did I miss anything? Oh Yeah - and lots of these coups dont come with full size spares anymore!! How funny is that, tons of weight gain, and the loss of a full size spare for a can of instant air!
we talking G37 vs. limos?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
G-WannaBe

Originally Posted by mantisG35
we talking G37 vs. limos?
Most coupes are headed into this direction, i may have stretched a little bit, so ok only 25 speakers, but that is a mainstream list of Lux items you can get today on several models, including seats that have internal air conditioning systems... Seems like its Lux or pure sport like the elise, bare bones, lots of speed for a 200 HP toyota motor.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 AM
G35CoupeToronto

G37c hardly quicker 0-100 & 1/4 mile vs. G35c Not Good!

I'm quite shocked that a vehicle that is app. 50 HP more than previous Gcoupe Generation is hardly quicker in acceleration and the 1.4 mile. One of the main reasons seems to be the increase the curb weight of the vehicle. What do you guys have to say about this? Is this acceptable? Does this make sense to you? This car should be at least .8 seconds quicker accelerating and quicker in the quarter mile time . Whats going on?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
SeismicGuy

Originally Posted by G35CoupeToronto
I'm quite shocked that a vehicle that is app. 50 HP more than previous Gcoupe Generation is hardly quicker in acceleration and the 1.4 mile. One of the main reasons seems to be the increase the curb weight of the vehicle. What do you guys have to say about this? Is this acceptable? Does this make sense to you? This car should be at least .8 seconds quicker accelerating and quicker in the quarter mile time . Whats going on?

This sort of follows the typical model evolution I have seen with most cars these days. The "new improved" model needs to be at least slightly better (performance-wise) than the model it is replacing but not so much so that it completely kills sales of the present model. So the debut engine typically has a lot of potential for improvement over say a 4 to 5 year period but is initially introduced in "least tuned" mode. So the first year, the G37 has 330hp, then the next year suddenly 20 more hp is "found" so it is up to 350hp, etc.

This is the problem with car buying--you only have the latest greatest thing for one year.

Doug
Old 06-29-2007, 01:49 AM
MaximaPower

drove the 335 today at the bmw Susan G. Komen foundation...only got to drive the sedan tho..so i was dissapointed..my next car is either the G37 or 335 coupe...well i got to drive the sedan and let me say, bmw has done a remarkable job with the 335...and i thought the 330 was already good...it was soo fast and solid...loved how it handles the twists and bumps...but i still dont like the interior...and something else caught my eye was the temp. gauge which was right around 270-280...280 if pushed hard...and i was impatiently waiting to get my turn to drive the coupe but the lady there said it had to be put in the service department....i waited for nearly an hour bcus i really wanted to drive it...she said it had something to do with the tire pressure...not sure if that was true or not...so i didn't get to drive the 335 coupe, but i did get to take the 650 and man wat a blast to drive...still dont like the interior nor the i-drive

can't wait to test the G37...too bad i wont get the freedom of driving without a salesman like i did with the bmw today
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

how reliable are these anyway? im afraid it'll start breaking down after like a week or 2 of spirited driving.
That's pretty ignorant.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by G35CoupeToronto
Generally speaking the only reason is the weight. Gearing also affect this but ultimately 1/4 miles aren't affected by this..

I am so turned off by the heft that I am reconsidering the sedan so long as it gets the MT refinements and iPod connector. The news of the headroom on the G37 is a big worry for me as well. Fortunately I don't like sunroofs sso tht will help, though I am betting most initial shipments will have a SR.

Last edited by jnmunsey; 06-29-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 AM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
That's pretty ignorant.
no!! i had a mustang GT that didnt last a year bro.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 AM
MaDd

not ALL i care about. i do care about other things too. but if performance is not present then i dont even consider the car.
when i got my G35 my criteria was the car should do 1/4 mile under 15 seconds, and 0-60 under 6 seconds.
now that's changed. i want 1/4 mile around 13.5 and 0-60 less than 5.1 seconds with good handling (i.e ruling mustangs, dodge and all that crap out)
as for other features i didnt want anything else but a auto-dimming mirror in the car.
but this time around the car must have navi, bluetooth, heated seat, homelink button to open garage, and heated seats.
dang it, the more i think about it the more i realize im describing the Cayman S. damn, but that's too expensive and probably cost a fortune to maintain. hmm...

the new 430 hp corvette is nice and doesnt look THAT cheap altho still looks cheap. but i dont mind it if it's reliable.
i test drove the c6 and hated it.. eh piece of poo
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

no!! i had a mustang GT that didnt last a year bro.
lol. I had a seiko watch back in 1987 that lasted a month. Oh it got stolen too.. Don't buy anything Japanese!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
drove the 335 today at the bmw Susan G. Komen foundation...only got to drive the sedan tho..so i was dissapointed..my next car is either the G37 or 335 coupe...well i got to drive the sedan and let me say, bmw has done a remarkable job with the 335...and i thought the 330 was already good...it was soo fast and solid...loved how it handles the twists and bumps...but i still dont like the interior...and something else caught my eye was the temp. gauge which was right around 270-280...280 if pushed hard...and i was impatiently waiting to get my turn to drive the coupe but the lady there said it had to be put in the service department....i waited for nearly an hour bcus i really wanted to drive it...she said it had something to do with the tire pressure...not sure if that was true or not...so i didn't get to drive the 335 coupe, but i did get to take the 650 and man wat a blast to drive...still dont like the interior nor the i-drive

can't wait to test the G37...too bad i wont get the freedom of driving without a salesman like i did with the bmw today
Sounds like fun. I've signed up every year, and somehow I end up not making it there. Did you get to drive a 6-speed or do they have all autos? If you are in the NY Metro Area, there is one dealership that just hands the keys to you. Devon Infiniti in CT. Although when the G35 came out, no one allowed a test drive for like the 1st 2 years (6-speed that is).

In terms of needing fixing - in this months car and driver, there is a long term update on the 330. They rave about the car (and they should) but the car had numerous problems (not starting, wacky AC, etc) and yet they said it was still worth it. Either these guys are nuts ar the 330 is one hell of a car. I think some of it has to do with the fact that these aren't actually their cars. If one goes to the shop, they just grab the keys to the next hot car in the parking lot and they haven't skipped a beat. Very different if this is your DD. I hope that the 2008's address alot of these issues, so I can be more confident going in (if I end up going the 3-series way).

Last edited by muscarel; 06-29-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 AM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
lol. I had a seiko watch back in 1987 that lasted a month. Oh it got stolen too.. Don't buy anything Japanese!
i wonder which one is more stupid, your comment on mine hahaha
just kidding
Old 06-29-2007, 07:18 PM
MaximaPower

Originally Posted by muscarel
Sounds like fun. I've signed up every year, and somehow I end up not making it there. Did you get to drive a 6-speed or do they have all autos? If you are in the NY Metro Area, there is one dealership that just hands the keys to you. Devon Infiniti in CT. Although when the G35 came out, no one allowed a test drive for like the 1st 2 years (6-speed that is).
auto with paddle shifter...took a lil getting used to...more use to the conventional paddles like the G

Quick Reply: BMW 335i and Infiniti G37