Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From your signature, Canadian_G... do you like a darker blue or lighter blue? I personally went Blue Slate because I like the darker blue a lot more.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 AM
G37Knight

Originally Posted by N50
Something just doesn't add up. I know that weight is up on the new coupe. However, with your breakdown, Trey, it seems as if the new coupe should put much better numbers than BobbyD's trap and 1/4 mile. So far two reviews, and that just isn't the case. Is this a case of Infiniti not getting majority of useable power to the wheels. I guess we won't know drivetrain losses until it is dynoed by some of the owners on this board.

I'm not losing sleep over it...don't get me wrong. However, you make a compelling argument.
Three Reviews.....One at 14.0, 13.9. Trap speeds at 100, 102 and 103.

It takes the G37 another 1.2 seconds to get to 0-100 than the 335I.... I'm sure there are many people who won't be tracking there G so not an issue for those.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 AM
dukmahsik

The G lost almost every test and yet still came out on top.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 AM
RetardGarage

Originally Posted by **Canadian_G**
I want to see the car and driver, road and track, edmunds and automobilemag reviews *** well and compare what they have to say about this.
Don't count on a review worth a damn from Edmunds... that's an ad farm disguised as a legitimate source of information.

Edmunds is a Joke
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 AM
wyatthanson

Originally Posted by G37Knight
It takes the G37 another 1.2 seconds to get to 0-100 than the 335I.... I'm sure there are many people who won't be tracking there G so not an issue for those.
But if they aren't tracking, they wont notice the lack of an oil cooler in the 335i, making it the superior choice? Especially with it's low-end torque for town driving.

In the end, all 335is now have the oil cooler. Infiniti supplied the E92 for this comparo, and naturally I assume they chose one without an oil cooler for the given results.
Without the overheating part, the comparison is more equal. Add in the fact that we are all enthusiasts and WOULD justify 80hp/100tq for $1200, and it's even MORE superior.

I'm not hating on the G, I do like it - - a lot - - just trying to make the comparo fair.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by wyatthanson
But if they aren't tracking, they wont notice the lack of an oil cooler in the 335i, making it the superior choice? Especially with it's low-end torque for town driving.

In the end, all 335is now have the oil cooler. Infiniti supplied the E92 for this comparo, and naturally I assume they chose one without an oil cooler for the given results.
Without the overheating part, the comparison is more equal. Add in the fact that we are all enthusiasts and WOULD justify 80hp/100tq for $1200, and it's even MORE superior.

I'm not hating on the G, I do like it - - a lot - - just trying to make the comparo fair.
First of all... we aren't all enthusiasts. I personally don't care about making my car faster as I have no need for it. Styling modifications maybe but not performance. I also thought it was settled that for the actual comparison test Motor Trend got a new BMW 335i and not the one that Infiniti supplied, or did I miss something completely?

I want to remind everyone that this is a review just from one company. I hope everybody remembers the G35 comparison with the BMW 3-series coupe back a few years ago. The G35 beat the 3-series coupe in performance... but the 3-series' refinement won Motor Trend over and put the 3-series coupe on top... even though the G35 beat it out in performance.

I wasn't on these kind of forums back then... but did anyone from the BMW crowd complain and say that the G35 should've been the winner?

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-26-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 AM
G37Knight

dude wyattttttttttttttttttt! So you getting the G?

Originally Posted by wyatthanson

Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Let's put this car in perspective.

BobbyD has an 03.5 sedan, 6 speed. Bone stock down to the Turanza all season tires. He's a great driver, can launch the **** out of the car, and in great conditions, he ran a 13.8@101mph. That was the first version of the VQ35DE, with a 6600rpm redline, ~5% taller gearing, and a less evolved ecu tune(presumably).

This 08 coupe is the pinnacle of Nissan's VQ tech. It represents an advance of 5 model years. It has shorter gearing, twin intakes/throttle bodies, equal length exhaust manifolds, variable timing(intake and exhaust), and lift, a 5.5% bump in displacement, an increase of the redline by the tune of 900rpms, and even a marginal increase in compression. It's been dyno'd to make a peak of 290hp to the wheels! That's ~15hp more at peak than the 03.5 sedan made at the crank!

And it can't match BobbyD's 1/4 time or trap speed.

My days are numbered as an Infiniti/Nissan enthusiast.
Sadly, I must agree. I am very disappointed. How could all this great advancement and tech lose to 200lbs of weight?

100mph trap speeds are nothing special. I was expecting 103-105 for sure. I just can't comprehend why you would release the last competitor car in this segment and not be at least as fast as your competition considering the last G was faster than it's competition. It matters a lot to a great deal of us. I know some of you don't think 1.2 0-100 is much, but for some of us it represents a large deficit in power. I really appreciate the car's handling prowess and steering that actually rivals bmw's. I love the new brakes and interior. I'm sure if C&D is correct that the 6MT will have a great shifter and clutch. Don't give me this crap about not buying the car or "the car isn't for you if you care about 0-60 or power" crap. I care about acceleration and I care that the G doesn't seem to be quick enough comparatively speaking. I want the G37. But I want it to be slightly faster.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 AM
RetardGarage

I just hope we've generated some good activity for the forums today... Looks like both G35driver and G37driver saw some decent traffic.

Great dialogue as well - Seems the "rivalry" is just as heated as ever.

Let's spend that leftover $7K on boost and smack some yuppies around, shall we?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

High trap speeds don't sell cars. "Good" cars sell. Infiniti/Nissan wants to make money, so they made a car that will outsell the previous generation(by far imo). That is smart business. For high trap speeds get a 350Z or wait for the 370Z and/or the GTR.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
High trap speeds don't sell cars. "Good" cars sell. Infiniti/Nissan wants to make money, so they made a car that will outsell the previous generation(by far imo).
You certainly can't argue with that, I completely agree.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 AM
muscarel

BobbyD has an 03.5 sedan, 6 speed. Bone stock down to the Turanza all season tires. He's a great driver, can launch the **** out of the car, and in great conditions, he ran a 13.8@101mph. That was the first version of the VQ35DE, with a 6600rpm redline, ~5% taller gearing, and a less evolved ecu tune(presumably).

This 08 coupe is the pinnacle of Nissan's VQ tech. It represents an advance of 5 model years. It has shorter gearing, twin intakes/throttle bodies, equal length exhaust manifolds, variable timing(intake and exhaust), and lift, a 5.5% bump in displacement, an increase of the redline by the tune of 900rpms, and even a marginal increase in compression. It's been dyno'd to make a peak of 290hp to the wheels! That's ~15hp more at peak than the 03.5 sedan made at the crank!

You just said it in your post. Bobby got the 13.8 but he's a great driver and can launch the *** of the car. Most typical 04 G's were running mid-14's in the 1/4 mile (road tests). Some were as high as 14.6. I think one was a 14.2. Everyday people that tracked there cars didn't fare much better. Alot of people were in the 14.6 range (and some hit 15). So, all this shows is that one driver was able to beat the magazine times by anywhere from 0.4 seconds to 0.8 seconds. Most drivers did not. That's great but what's not to say that someone won't do the same with this new engine.

Comparing apples to apples - this new G37 is running about 0.4-0.8 seconds faster than the 1st gen (03/04) according to the magazines. That's an expected improvement with the new engine (minus the added weight).

Here's the road test from ROad and Track for comparison.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/...1_g35_data.pdf

0-60 6.1 sec
1/4 mile 14.6
0-100 in 14.9 sec

Last edited by muscarel; 06-26-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 AM
6969g35

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
As much as I like the G37, the G winning this article on price/ 335 oil cooling issues isn't very exciting.

What's most disappointing is the G's 0-60 and 1/4 trap speeds. Not impressive considering it's hp:weight ratio, power band, and gearing.

If you reply "if power means something to you go buy a muscle car, etc" then you are missing the point.
Im glad the g37 beat out the bimmer
but I need better times 0-60/1/4 mile
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
G-WannaBe

You made a very intelligent statement, and then lost the ball on the 1 yd line. If in fact this guy is the S**t when it comes to launching a G35 from the line to get the these great times, then very simply, he needs to also get a G37 in his hands to test from launch. If he can make his car hit the trap that fast, its only fair to compare his numbers in a 37, and not some one else's. I bet I could sit in his car all day and not get the same times as he does from the very same car.

Dont blame the G37 in a magazine test for its speeds and then compare it to a guy who can squeez out equal/better times in a different car, notice I did not say lesser, just different. If he is in fact as good as you say (which I am not doubting at all) then he should be able to take the 37 and kick every test number we have seen to date from the magazines.

Different drivers get different results, I am not jumping on this slam the 37 bandwagon because of a few early test runs. This happens every time a new car hits the magazines pages, a few tenths of a second causes WWIII over drivers who argue until the cows come home about the car, the weather, the temps, this car will be sooo much faster when (insert anything) is different....

I am no ace at the drag strip myself, but I know enough to wait out a few runs- every car out there has more then 1 number in as many reviews as it gets published.

After the testdrive, I hope to either lease 1, or if it is not impressive enough I may start looking at the GTR, but I will have to get a lot more green saved up if I want to make that kind of a jump. From the data I have seen so far, this will be 1 great ride, and I would be lucky enough to afford this rocket.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Meth68

I would use the word "Trounces" lightly. I mean if money wasn't a factor the 335 would still be on top. And with BMW increasing their pricing on every model every year its safe to say if you want a 335 and can afford a 335 your getting it and not saying "well a g37 is 10k+ less".

I have an '04 coupe and love it, I preordered a g37 but didnt love it by any means. New interior, brakes, engine all huge pluses. But I like my body style much more then the g37. So all I was doing was waiting for full reviews to come out and to be honest I am disappointed by the 14.0 1/4. If by some miracle it ran somewhere like a full second faster then our g35's I was going to convince myself it was a big enough all around change to get used to the body style and the extra $$. But it's safe to say I am sticking it out with my g35 now.

Still a nice car don't get me wrong but not worth giving up a car I like, don't have any issues with and is about $20k less at this point for one.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!