Sponsored By:

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel350
I don't get it. How can they only pull a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile when the G37 dynoed at 50+ more HP than a G35? There are stock G35's pulling 13.7's.
I believe weight is the culprit.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:49 PM
G37Knight

I don't get it. How can they only pull a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile when the G37 dynoed at 50+ more HP than a G35? There are stock G35's pulling 13.7's.
It weighs almost 3800 lbs.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by mygiantcircle
All this bickering is fun, but now it's getting tiring.
OMG I feel the same way... but for me it's not getting tiring, it IS tiring.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 PM
picus112

picus...I appreciate your non-sense input.

I have been on the fence on these two car options. Don't get me wrong - I like both cars...ALOT! and if I have the money, I would like one of each. But, alas, money is hard earned for me, so I buy a car I really like, and keep it for years.

Like I mentioned, I now drive a pristine 90Z, and I love her like the day I got her.

I used to drive and work on turbo cars (Starion and RX7T2), and I would love to get the 335 because of the untapped potential. The extra $7k is nothing for me because, since I keep the car for a long time, it does not matter much (just spend the $$ to get something I really like).

But here are my issues:

1) no LSD. This is a joke (I supposed I have to research to find out how much an aftermarket one costs, and whether it voids any warranty).

2) reliability - issues after issue: fuel pump, oil temp, #5/6 cyclinder cooling. If I were to keep the car until the warranty runs out, then fine, but I keep mine for 10yrs! I wonder how much parts and repair will cost when things like the turbos start to go (and trust me, all the hoses/harnesses under the hood will harden/crack from all the heat before you know it - remember I worked on my turbo cars). I have very little issues with my NA Z, btw.

3) the BMW dealers. Nuff said.

3) interior styling/i-drive is blah to me (but heck, I could live with it)

For the G37, I am disappointed at some styling cues, but overall I like it (flew to NYAS just to see it). I am disappointed at the weight, but I need to drive it for a fair comparison. And it will be hard to mod later...way later...when the warranty runs out!

Man...may be I should wait around for another year to see the GTR...

All this bickering is fun, but now it's getting tiring.
No nonsense, or non-sense?

I know what you mean though. RE: LSD, you can get one for $1700 USD, it won't void the warranty but like anything, if your suspension falls apart and they can prove it was the LSD it might. I don't think you'll have an issue with adding an LSD to a car, I don't think I've ever seen that cause a problem.

The fuel pump thing is solved, so no worries there. The cylinder 5/6 thing is still a rumor at best - no one has been able to confirm it, in fact the only guys with real info on it (the tuners) say it's not even a problem. I guess we'll see.

Dealers... uhg, I agree.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Gotta luv BMW's owners incessant whining and idiotic comments:

A few posts from their board:
It's why I avoid their forums.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 PM
mygiantcircle

Originally Posted by picus112
No nonsense, or non-sense?
today my eenglick not soo goodly!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 PM
lil_leftyy

so 335i automatics dont come with oil coolers and 6MTs do? just wanted to confirm this
Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

The preproduction version that Automobile magazine dyno'd at almost 290hp on a dynojet. The VQ35HR typically puts down ~265hp on a dynojet. That is nowhere close to 50hp.

The VQ35DE (revup) would typically put down ~240 on a dynojet, and the non-revup would put anywhere between 215 and 225 on a dynojet.

And to my knowledge there has never been a VQ35DE g35 to hit a 13.7 stock(though BobbyD was close with a 13.8).

What concerns me more is the trap speed: 100.9ph. That's pigtastic IMO. BobbyD, in his 03.5 6MT Sedan, trapped almost exactly 101mph bone stock, down to the tire. Granted, the conditions were ideal compared to when this review was conducted, but that should be an embarrassment to Infiniti.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

today my eenglick not soo goodly!
lol
Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 AM
xdram

Originally Posted by lil_leftyy
so 335i automatics dont come with oil coolers and 6MTs do? just wanted to confirm this
From what I understand it was the auto 335 sedan's that didn't come with the oil coolers but that is now fixed. People getting their 335's now report they all have the oil coolers. BMW prob had limited supply so they took it out of cars which their research showed buyers wouldn't notice... Forums are great, most of those people would of never known if it wasn't for forums. BMW doesn't want you opening the hood, there isn't even a dip stick in the e90's...
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by mantisG35
there's always "hope" between the lines every time i read a post about the G37. no, the car wont be faster, wont be lighter, and wont have better gas mileage.
the car is a slow *** fat machine. let's face it
I don't see how you can say that when that is exactly what happened with all of the new 03-07 AT coupes during the breakin period. They all got a little quicker and gas mileage improved after placing some miles on them.
MT has less to breakin so that may be a more accurate measure but even it has improved gas mileage with added miles.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 AM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Let's put this car in perspective.

BobbyD has an 03.5 sedan, 6 speed. Bone stock down to the Turanza all season tires. He's a great driver, can launch the **** out of the car, and in great conditions, he ran a 13.8@101mph. That was the first version of the VQ35DE, with a 6600rpm redline, ~5% taller gearing, and a less evolved ecu tune(presumably).

This 08 coupe is the pinnacle of Nissan's VQ tech. It represents an advance of 5 model years. It has shorter gearing, twin intakes/throttle bodies, equal length exhaust manifolds, variable timing(intake and exhaust), and lift, a 5.5% bump in displacement, an increase of the redline by the tune of 900rpms, and even a marginal increase in compression. It's been dyno'd to make a peak of 290hp to the wheels! That's ~15hp more at peak than the 03.5 sedan made at the crank!

And it can't match BobbyD's 1/4 time or trap speed.

My days are numbered as an Infiniti/Nissan enthusiast.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson

BobbyD has an 03.5 sedan, 6 speed. Bone stock down to the Turanza all season tires. He's a great driver, can launch the **** out of the car, and in great conditions, he ran a 13.8@101mph. That was the first version of the VQ35DE, with a 6600rpm redline, ~5% taller gearing, and a less evolved ecu tune(presumably).

This 08 coupe is the pinnacle of Nissan's VQ tech. It represents an advance of 5 model years. It has shorter gearing, twin intakes/throttle bodies, equal length exhaust manifolds, variable timing(intake and exhaust), and lift, a 5.5% bump in displacement, an increase of the redline by the tune of 900rpms, and even a marginal increase in compression. It's been dyno'd to make a peak of 290hp to the wheels! That's ~15hp more at peak than the 03.5 sedan made at the crank!

The G37 wasn't created for hardcore enthusiasts in my opinion, otherwise Infiniti wouldn't have created the G37 the way they did. They created a great luxury sports tourer. Why don't you just mod the G37? I'm sure it could be a lot faster.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 AM
N50

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson

Something just doesn't add up. I know that weight is up on the new coupe. However, with your breakdown, Trey, it seems as if the new coupe should put up better numbers than BobbyD's trap and 1/4 mile. So far two reviews, and that just isn't the case. Is this a case of Infiniti not getting majority of useable power to the wheels. I guess we won't know drivetrain losses until it is dynoed by some of the owners on this board.

I'm not losing sleep over it...don't get me wrong. However, you make a compelling argument.

Last edited by N50; 06-26-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 AM
**Canadian_G**

I want to see the car and driver, road and track, edmunds and automobilemag reviews *** well and compare what they have to say about this.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!