Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
bloodhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by picus112
Because we've been doing this awhile. I will bet, right now, that the $ per horsepower for mods on the 335i will be 50:1 better than the G37. How do I know? The G35 is a perfect example; the VQ even in it's new suit, is still a high compression NA engine. Without going with a supercharger or FI you will not, read *WILL NOT* be able to add more than MAX 20hp/20tq with intakes, plenums, exhausts, ecu's etc. If you start talking a blower you're getting into the 10k range easily, with FI you're talking 15k+. I spent nearly 8k on my G coupe and got maybe 11hp. That's what... $750+ a horse. Look at the IS350 - how much more power can you get out of it without a blower or FI? Almost none. Same with the M3 or M35 or G35 or any other high displacement high compression NA 6.

With the 335i you can buy a $1200 procede and get 75hp/100tq. With an exhaust you get ~15hp/15tq. Downpipes will probably net you more, a larger turbo would be even more... I've spent ~1250 on power mods for my 335i and got 21hp/24tq, for $1200 more (less than 1/4 the price I spent on my G coupe) I would get ~75hp/75tq more. That's about $20/hp for the 335i.

Incidentally, you know the reliability that Infiniti has the advantage at? I can promise you if you SC or FI the G37, you will have more engine issues than a modded 335i. Turbo's straight up equal easier modding.

So yes, when comparing mods it is easy to predict how this will play out. Am I saying we should compare modded cars? No. I am just answering your question.
I currently have a 02 3.5 altima. With the intake and exhaust this car is good for 10hp additional. My altima for its time was definitely a formidalbe car. When the engine broke in it was definitely "more" powerful AS WILL THE G37. Saying Ive run my car hard would be an understatement. It hauls ****. Repeatedly time after time after time of stop and go sprints and all out gunning it (yes through curves, I have coilovers). That car took a beating and never overheated or that matter even broke down on me.

Throw in headers, plenum etc. I think the g37 will be easily able to get more than 20hp on the vq. Dont forget its a dual intake setup (2 cai's + exhaust + headers + plenum + pulley) and you dont think the car will be able to get 20hp?...right...

After three laps on the track the 335i was beginning to overheat. Not the first time with this car either. $20/hp is great, if your not sitting on the sideline watchin the miata's, g's and other cars running on the track.

Car will not have problems with FI. FI is all about the kit and the setup (this would include engine parts to match the FI kit). As long as the setup is done properly and completely the car will be able to handle the FI. Remember this is the base (im not saying exact thing without turbos) to the GT-R, which last I checked will be FI.

The current G i got a quote for a TT setup and that was 9g (soup to nuts) from a local performance shop (whos name I will not disclose) but does nationally race the 350z (drag) etc and is known to overcharge for work (b/c of their reputation?).

Your prediction I believe is still wrong....

Edit: my post is not implying that NA are as easy to mod as FI cars.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
jackygor

Because we've been doing this awhile. I will bet, right now, that the $ per horsepower for mods on the 335i will be 50:1 better than the G37. How do I know? The G35 is a perfect example; the VQ even in it's new suit, is still a high compression NA engine. Without going with a supercharger or FI you will not, read *WILL NOT* be able to add more than MAX 20hp/20tq with intakes, plenums, exhausts, ecu's etc. If you start talking a blower you're getting into the 10k range easily, with FI you're talking 15k+. I spent nearly 8k on my G coupe and got maybe 11hp. That's what... $750+ a horse. Look at the IS350 - how much more power can you get out of it without a blower or FI? Almost none. Same with the M3 or M35 or G35 or any other high displacement high compression NA 6.

With the 335i you can buy a $1200 procede and get 75hp/100tq. With an exhaust you get ~15hp/15tq. Downpipes will probably net you more, a larger turbo would be even more... I've spent ~1250 on power mods for my 335i and got 21hp/24tq, for $1200 more (less than 1/4 the price I spent on my G coupe) I would get ~75hp/75tq more. That's about $20/hp for the 335i.

Incidentally, you know the reliability that Infiniti has the advantage at? I can promise you if you SC or FI the G37, you will have more engine issues than a modded 335i. Turbo's straight up equal easier modding.

So yes, when comparing mods it is easy to predict how this will play out. Am I saying we should compare modded cars? No. I am just answering your question.
+1

N/A < FI in terms of modding...especially with 2 turbos!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 PM
picus112

Originally Posted by Sukairain
$15k+ for FI on the G37? I suppose if you want a completely built motor from the...... IIRC FI VQ35DE motor will give you about 120whp+ for about $7-8k. That's a far cry from the $15k you estimated. Your point is valid though, it will be much easier to mod a turbo engine than a NA one.
OK, I suppose you could get a used setup (or maybe new at a great price) for that, but I think realistically to go with a reliable FI setup on a G35 you're talking 10k usd with labor. I should have said 10k, I admit; I was using real world examples but in all those cases more was done than just adding turbos and the peripherals.

Originally Posted by bloodhound
I currently have a 02 3.5 altima. With the intake and exhaust this car is good for 10hp additional. My altima for its time was definitely a formidalbe car. When the engine broke in it was definitely "more" powerful AS WILL THE G37. Saying Ive run my car hard would be an understatement. It hauls ****. Repeatedly time after time after time of stop and go sprints and all out gunning it (yes through curves, I have coilovers). That car took a beating and never overheated or that matter even broke down on me.

Throw in headers, plenum etc. I think the g37 will be easily able to get more than 20hp on the vq. Dont forget its a dual intake setup (2 cai's + exhaust + headers + plenum + pulley) and you dont think the car will be able to get 20hp?...right...

After three laps on the track the 335i was beginning to overheat. Not the first time with this car either. $20/hp is great, if your not sitting on the sideline watchin the miata's, g's and other cars running on the track.

Car will not have problems with FI. FI is all about the kit and the setup (this would include engine parts to match the FI kit). As long as the setup is done properly and completely the car will be able to handle the FI. Remember this is the base (im not saying exact thing without turbos) to the GT-R, which last I checked will be FI.

The current G i got a quote for a TT setup and that was 9g (soup to nuts) from a local performance shop (whos name I will not disclose) but does nationally race the 350z (drag) etc and is known to overcharge for work (b/c of their reputation?).

Your prediction I believe is still wrong....

Edit: my post is not implying that NA are as easy to mod as FI cars.
I guess we will see. I admit I am more familar with the VQ from the 03-06 G35, so the dual intake setup may yield more gains (and of course cost more). I still think you will be lucky to see a $400/1hp gain without going FI/SC, and with FI if you can do it for under 10k and get say, 120hp/tq, you're still talking almost $100 per horse.

As for your overheating with the 335i thing, let's try to remain realistic here. a 335i without an oil cooler on a 120F day *might* "begin" to overheat (as in, hit 300F) after three laps, but it's not at all common. I've tracked my car quite relentlessly, I can honestly say probably more than most guys here, and I have not had any heat issues (and have no oil cooler), and it's been hot. I am not defending BMW's call to not put the oil cooler in, just saying that the commentary on it has been quite dramatic from non-335i owners, it is not nearly as bad as some of you guys make out. To this day I still don't know of more than maybe 5-6 actual confirmed reports of limp mode. So I wouldn't count on that 335i at the track limping away just because MT said it might.

(and FWIW, adding a piggyback to your 335i actually makes it run richer, and thus, cooler. Chipped 335i's are actually less likely to overheat *and* if we're talking about modding, an oversized oil cooler is $600... a pittance, frankly.).

So ok, realistically even with FI you might get ~$80-$100/hp with the G and $20/hp (or less) with the 335i. My point remains, to answer Yimbie's question, the 335i will be more receptive to mods, period.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 AM
bloodhound

OK, I suppose you could get a used setup (or maybe new at a great price) for that, but I think realistically to go with a reliable FI setup on a G35 you're talking 10k usd with labor. I should have said 10k, I admit; I was using real world examples but in all those cases more was done than just adding turbos and the peripherals.

I guess we will see. I admit I am more familar with the VQ from the 03-06 G35, so the dual intake setup may yield more gains (and of course cost more). I still think you will be lucky to see a $400/1hp gain without going FI/SC, and with FI if you can do it for under 10k and get say, 120hp/tq, you're still talking almost $100 per horse.

As for your overheating with the 335i thing, let's try to remain realistic here. a 335i without an oil cooler on a 120F day *might* "begin" to overheat (as in, hit 300F) after three laps, but it's not at all common. I've tracked my car quite relentlessly, I can honestly say probably more than most guys here, and I have not had any heat issues (and have no oil cooler), and it's been hot. I am not defending BMW's call to not put the oil cooler in, just saying that the commentary on it has been quite dramatic from non-335i owners, it is not nearly as bad as some of you guys make out. To this day I still don't know of more than maybe 5-6 actual confirmed reports of limp mode. So I wouldn't count on that 335i at the track limping away just because MT said it might.

(and FWIW, adding a piggyback to your 335i actually makes it run richer, and thus, cooler. Chipped 335i's are actually less likely to overheat *and* if we're talking about modding, an oversized oil cooler is $600... a pittance, frankly.).

So ok, realistically even with FI you might get ~$80-$100/hp with the G and $20/hp (or less) with the 335i. My point remains, to answer Yimbie's question, the 335i will be more receptive to mods, period.
Just for purposes of numbers, put out a max spending limit and then lets see what "can" be done for that price (which will include the purchase of the car).

How about 50k? We'll take it from there......
Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 AM
mygiantcircle

You guys crack me up!

It WILL ALWAYS be easier and cheaper to bump the power of the 335i...just like I have done with cars like my old RX7 turbo. Just a boost controller (or chip mods) will give you great gains. In the case of the 335i, you can do that stealthily with Xcede (warranty reasons).

Too bad most will crank up the boost, and next thing you know...pop!

Yes, the G37 is $5-$7k cheaper, so that savings can go toward FI expenditures. But how are you going to hide all that mess for warranty purposes? On top of that, the engine really was not made to handle FI (I just don't have that much money to go buy new engines).

(BTW, if you think an engine is an engine, drop by twinturbo.net and do a little research on the differences between a VG30DTT and VG30D....)

Here is another thought - instead of comparing the G37 to the 335i, they should have compared the G37 to the 330 because of the price point.

(don't flame me please...I own Nissan products, and I like the G37, but I also give credits to the 335 - I just don't feel like spending money for repairs once the warranty runs out, and don't fool yourself - you WILL spend money to replace parts because the turbo is not kind to the engine)

Don't ask me how much I spent for parts on my RX7 and Starion...
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Hypnoz

Look guys, it comes down to this: the car is as fast or only slightly faster than the G35 it replaces and that is dissappointing. We should expect faster times and improvement in all of the car's qualities. 14.0 @100mph was great for 2002. It's nothing special now. They didn't even stick to the concept's look and it is now more feminine looking which is also disappointing. I'll admit everything else about this car has greatly improved.

When they drop the ball we not only should tell them but we have an obligation to as Infiniti enthusiasts.

I don't want to hear another thing about having to add power or looking at different cars if we care about speed. I want this car with 200lb less weight or more power. I don't want a 350z. It's like if you complain about any aspect of the car or design you are now labeled a "hater" or you should just look at a different car. You know what? No, I'm going to voice my damn opinion and not let you kool-aid drinkers try to silence me.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Look guys, it comes down to this: the car is as fast or only slightly faster than the G35 it replaces and that is dissappointing. We should expect faster times and improvement in all of the car's qualities. 14.0 @100mph was great for 2002. It's nothing special now. They didn't even stick to the concept's look and it is now more feminine looking which is also disappointing. I'll admit everything else about this car has greatly improved.

When they drop the ball we not only should tell them but we have an obligation to as Infiniti enthusiasts.

I don't want to hear another thing about having to add power or looking at different cars if we care about speed. I want this car with 200lb less weight or more power. I don't want a 350z. It's like if you complain about any aspect of the car or design you are now labeled a "hater" or you should just look at a different car. You know what? No, I'm going to voice my damn opinion and not let you kool-aid drinkers try to silence me.
Wow where is this coming from? lol We're not trying to silence you at all. Complain to Infiniti all you want... I don't understand your issue... Infiniti didn't create this vehicle FOR enthusiasts, if they did, then they would've gone a different path with the G37... so I don't know how much work you're going to get done with your buddies... but good luck.... I think you'll need it. Remember, not everyone here are G enthusiasts... a lot of us are just casual drivers who want a great luxury sports coupe... which is Infiniti's market. Since you say that you want more power... then add more power. lol I don't understand what's so hard about that concept...

BTW... what does the term "kool-aid drinker" mean? I certainly don't like Kool-Aid (or however you spell it) because it's just sugar, bleh. Crystal Light is amazing stuff.

Remember... different magazines will have different numbers for the same car. The G37 for Edmunds did it in 13.9 @ 102.8 while Car and Driver did it in 13.9 @ 103 (those are different than the 14 @ 100 that MT got).

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-27-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 AM
mygiantcircle

Hmmm...not much improvement from G35 to G37?

Let's settle this from published data:

Let me start:

Edmund:

G35/G37

0 - 30 (sec): 2.4/2.2
0 - 45 (sec): 4.1/3.7
0 - 60 (sec): 6.2/5.5
0 - 75 (sec): 9.0/8
1/4 Mile: 14.66@98.32/13.9@102.8
30 - 0 (ft): 30.45/28
60 - 0 (ft): 123.49/113

May be someone can help compile data from C&D, R&T, etc..
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
jackygor

Originally Posted by mygiantcircle
Hmmm...not much improvement from G35 to G37?

Let's settle this from published data:

Let me start:

Edmund:

G35/G37

0 - 30 (sec): 2.4/2.2
0 - 45 (sec): 4.1/3.7
0 - 60 (sec): 6.2/5.5
0 - 75 (sec): 9.0/8
1/4 Mile: 14.66@98.32/13.9@102.8
30 - 0 (ft): 30.45/28
60 - 0 (ft): 123.49/113

May be someone can help compile data from C&D, R&T, etc..
thats pretty good in my book.

face it guys, those of you who are not happy with the g37's performance is not because its not a good improvement over the G35, but it is because the g37 does NOT out perform the 335i.

Last edited by jackygor; 06-27-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:53 AM
mantisG35

no worries guys. we can bash the G37 all we want since YIMBIE appointed himself a lawyer for infiniti!

the G37 was created ONLY to make the G35 better and better. the G35 was soo good that infiniti itself couldnt beat it LOL
Old 06-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by mantisG35
no worries guys. we can bash the G37 all we want since YIMBIE appointed himself a lawyer for infiniti!

the G37 was created ONLY to make the G35 better and better. the G35 was soo good that infiniti itself couldnt beat it LOL
Why are you making senseless posts like these? I don't understand... Why are you so against me on everything and out to get me? because I love the G37 and want to defend my ride that I know I will love and a company that I really like? I didn't know that was so bad. PLEASE help me understand why you're here... I do genuinely want to know. (this is not meant to be taken as an attack or anything... I honestly do want to know)

I want all of this to stop right now... I am sick and tired of posts like these because they're really offensive to me since it's pretty much directed to me. You're ruining my time here on this G37 forum... just you. I'm fine with everybody else... well excluding one other person who I will not name. If you want to attack me... please, do it in private tells. I want this to cease, end, whatever... just please leave me alone. I have no idea what I did to deserve this... you make me feel like the whole world is against me and it really hurts that there are people in this world like that. *sighs*

I apologize if I have hurt you in any way because I really don't mean to do it. A lot of people misunderstand what I say and it's difficult sometimes to get the message across the way it should be because it is the internet and not real life.

I personally believe in the "Yin-Yang" philosophy... so if there is something really negative (like an attack on the G37), I feel like I have to balance things out with a positive (a counterattack or positive view). You have been making just such negative posts all the time... so that's why I have to counter them so much.

*sighs* I can't wait until the G37 forum becomes like the 2007 G35 sedan forum... I just tell myself that it will become that way because it did happen for the next generation sedan, next generation 3-series, and next generation IS... I know it will happen for the G37 also. It's really sad that next generation cars have to suffer through this every single time.

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-27-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 AM
truong321

Don't take it that way Yimbie, I dont think anybody here is out to get you. Personally I respect you (online)
Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 AM
jackygor

I think mantis35 is trying to be funny or sarcastic.

Anyways, Yimbie, I guess some people are sick of your enthusiastic attitude towards the G37. I, on the other hand, find your attitude refreshing.

cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 AM
bostonmerlin

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Why are you making senseless posts like these? I don't understand... Why are you so against me on everything and out to get me? because I love the G37 and want to defend my ride that I know I will love and a company that I really like? I didn't know that was so bad. PLEASE help me understand why you're here... I do genuinely want to know. (this is not meant to be taken as an attack or anything... I honestly do want to know)
Don't sweat the small stuff Yimbie. When you post you're leaving yourself out there for the world to comment on. Some members add value to the forum while others (ahem.. don't). Typically those "special" members enjoy the attention they get by causing controversy. This one in particular stopped adding value for me a few days back and has since been blocked. How you conduct yourself online is just as important as if you were talking face to face. Credibility is hard to achieve and easy to loose. Click on his/her sig then add to your ignore list. You'll enjoy your online experience much more. Once the car is out you'll find this forum to be much less hostile and more welcoming to your posts.

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 06-27-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM
jnmunsey
Banned

Originally Posted by jackygor
Anyways, Yimbie, I guess some people are sick of your enthusiastic attitude towards the G37. I, on the other hand, find your attitude refreshing.
I think he's ok but I have to admit he's treating the G37 like his first newborn. No wait, more like he treats it like a woman would treat her first newborn... If that is refreshing to you then more power to you. It is pretty creepy for me.

Then again, I assume he's a young kid and this will be his first car, or at least his first purchase of a car. If that were the case I'd be enthusiastic too, but I'd be just as enthusiastic if it was a 2001 Pontiac Aztek

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!