Sponsored By:

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
And for those that say car companies don't sell to enthusiasts, that's hogwash. The the likes of BMW, the enthusiasts are the core market. Without them, there wouldn't be any cachet inherent in the brand. BMW knows this, and cultivates its relationships with the enthusiasts. They have the M division. They are involved in many different racing leagues, with factory support. The company even sponsors and manages it's own certified owner's driving events at real race tracks.

BMW wouldn't be the king without focusing on it's core, these enthusiasts.
I appreciate the post Trey, however I've definitely got to disagree. I can only speak from my own personal experience in my area, but BMW's core market is most definitely not what I would call an enthusiast...........unless you want to call a woman in their 30s-50s an enthusiast. Just because they have the M division doesn't mean that is their core market. I haven't checked any numbers at all, but I would bet my G that the vast majority of bimmer owners are just your ordinary driver and not an enthusiast.

So why do I bring this up? I think that is what Infiniti is targeting as well. Just your average driver that wants a combination of performance, style, luxury, and technology......all for the cool price of $35k. If I were one of the higher ups in Infiniti I would be targeting the exact same audience as they currently are.

You know as well as I do that Infiniti was in dire straights just a mere five years ago. Look at where they are now......quite amazing if you ask me. Can they afford to have a performance division like BMW's M division yet? Nope. Will they in the future? Let's hope so. But the only way they are going to get there is to be profitable. So right now (IMO of course), the best way for Infiniti to profit is to sell in volumes and I think they are on the right path to do that with the 2nd gen G35/G37.

At the end of the day, you simply can not get a car for $35k that has the performance, technology, and luxury that the G37 offers.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I appreciate the post Trey, however I've definitely got to disagree. I can only speak from my own personal experience in my area, but BMW's core market is most definitely not what I would call an enthusiast...........unless you want to call a woman in their 30s-50s an enthusiast. Just because they have the M division doesn't mean that is their core market. I haven't checked any numbers at all, but I would bet my G that the vast majority of bimmer owners are just your ordinary driver and not an enthusiast.

So why do I bring this up? I think that is what Infiniti is targeting as well. Just your average driver that wants a combination of performance, style, luxury, and technology......all for the cool price of $35k. If I were one of the higher ups in Infiniti I would be targeting the exact same audience as they currently are.

You know as well as I do that Infiniti was in dire straights just a mere five years ago. Look at where they are now......quite amazing if you ask me. Can they afford to have a performance division like BMW's M division yet? Nope. Will they in the future? Let's hope so. But the only way they are going to get there is to be profitable. So right now (IMO of course), the best way for Infiniti to profit is to sell in volumes and I think they are on the right path to do that with the 2nd gen G35/G37.

At the end of the day, you simply can not get a car for $35k that has the performance, technology, and luxury that the G37 offers.
Thank you so much Garnet_Canuck! So many words that I've been trying to get across.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

You forgot sexy a$$ looks and sexy a$$ exhaust note
Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Potty_Pants

how about the *sigh* altima coupe ?
while the evox may not have the luxury it'll have gadgets and performance.
acura TSX or RSX (the bigger one)
some of the new highline hyundai cars (yeah i said it

I hear what a lot of you guys are saying, and i must comment on the enthusiast(sp) comments. majority of g35 coupe drivers are older people who could care less about joining a g35 forum. hell out of every g35 i've passed on the road and waved too... ZERO waved back. BMW isnt too different... but I'd bet if a modded bmw's passed they'd wave... perhaps G coupe's as well ?

what im getting at is the car was made for the majority and we are the minority. nothing we can do to change that. I never wanted a 350z and I cant afford the GTR... I was hoping the g35/g37 would provide better performance but i was mistaken, all it was supposed to do is look great,have gadgets & resonable performance. it wasnt ment to compete against 335i,evox,wrx,etc. sad but its the truth. so why does it have pig gas mileage ????

ppp
Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Potty_Pants

I hear what a lot of you guys are saying, and i must comment on the enthusiast(sp) comments. majority of g35 coupe drivers are older people who could care less about joining a g35 forum. hell out of every g35 i've passed on the road and waved too... ZERO waved back. BMW isnt too different... but I'd bet if a modded bmw's passed they'd wave... perhaps G coupe's as well ?

what im getting at is the car was made for the majority and we are the minority. nothing we can do to change that. I never wanted a 350z and I cant afford the GTR... I was hoping the g35/g37 would provide better performance but i was mistaken, all it was supposed to do is look great,have gadgets & resonable performance. it wasnt ment to compete against 335i,evox,wrx,etc. sad but its the truth.

ppp
All those cars definitely don't compete with the Infiniti G37's luxury. But anyways... I really appreciate your post, I completely understand your side and I'm sorry that the G37 didn't come out to what you hoped for. I personally believe though that the Infiniti G37 can compete with the BMW 335i when it comes to the total package and price. Of course the BMW 335i will beat the G37 when it comes to performance (speed)... but to a lot of people it will lose when it comes to the design (exterior and interior - especially when it comes to the interior). So as a total package... it can compete.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 PM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by Yimbie
All those cars definitely don't compete with the Infiniti G37's luxury. But anyways... I really appreciate your post, I completely understand your side and I'm sorry that the G37 didn't come out to what you hoped for. I personally believe though that the Infiniti G37 can compete with the BMW 335i when it comes to the total package and price. Of course the BMW 335i will beat the G37 when it comes to performance (speed)... but to a lot of people it will lose when it comes to the design (exterior and interior - especially when it comes to the interior). So as a total package... it can compete.
One thing that is overlooked - the aftermarket will build up for these cars fast. 370z same engine, etc. For that 5-10g difference, this car can be made a monster....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

The Altima has neither the performace (acceleration and handling) that the G does, it doesn't have the luxury, and it doesn't have the techno gadgets. I personally can't think of one other car on the market that has a 9.5GB hard drive for ripping music to and a CF slot......at any price point let alone $35k. Having had my 07 Sedan for 7 months now, I am still amazed the technology this car offers for the price.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

The Altima has neither the performace (acceleration and handling) that the G does, it doesn't have the luxury, and it doesn't have the techno gadgets. I personally can't think of one other car on the market that has a 9.5GB hard drive for ripping music to and a CF slot......at any price point let alone $35k. Having had my 07 Sedan for 7 months now, I am still amazed the technology this car offers for the price.
I must say that I'm very happy that Japanese companies (Lexus and Infiniti) offer so many amazing technologies at a cheaper price than their German counterparts. Yay!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by bloodhound
One thing that is overlooked - the aftermarket will build up for these cars fast. 370z same engine, etc. For that 5-10g difference, this car can be made a monster....
That's what I keep saying but a lot of people on this forum completely disregard that. In terms of modifications between the 335i vs. G37... I'm not sure how you (to those people) could compare both when there isn't one modification for the G37 available...

I find it pretty illogical to compare something that exists to something that doesn't exist.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:25 PM
TMac

Would that happen to be Raceway Park in Oyster Bridge that you are referring to?
Yeah, that's it. I went to Miramichi once, but we preferred going to the island. I used to have a 91 5.0 and a bunch of us clowns from Sussex (dont hold that against me) and Saint John would head over.
I used to do some landscaping in your area, worked for Renforth a bit and did a lot of the landscaping at the MacLellan (I think that is his name) mansion on the water.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Potty_Pants

ya know after you posted that i checked alittle deeper on the altima coupe.. and your right, but its not far behind (but it is 1 sec behind). how is the 9.5gb hard drive working ? i've heard its not user friendly to rip/copy songs. the CF slot is a bonus though ! i rather haul Compact Flash around then cd's.

and to clarify incase any doubt, I've always preferred the warm feeling of the new interior (sedan and g37). The interior of the 335i is not my cup of tea but the quality is top notch. the germans have freaky styles and the car reflects that... for them its perfect. While the price is more for the 335i the Ipod & USB option is preferred over the CF & 9.5GB hard drive.

if i mentioned it in this thread... im waiting for the G37 of 2009... Infiniti dont let me down I'm hoping for DI,Vert,better gas mileage & performance... we'll see.

ppp
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by TMac
Yeah, that's it. I went to Miramichi once, but we preferred going to the island. I used to have a 91 5.0 and a bunch of us clowns from Sussex (dont hold that against me) and Saint John would head over.
I used to do some landscaping in your area, worked for Renforth a bit and did a lot of the landscaping at the MacLellan (I think that is his name) mansion on the water.
That's awesome man, it's great to see another local here on the forum.......there isn't many of us here at all. I'll be sending you a PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

how is the 9.5gb hard drive working ? i've heard its not user friendly to rip/copy songs. the CF slot is a bonus though ! i rather haul Compact Flash around then cd's.
The Music Box works great. It does have a few minor quirks, but overall I think it works darn good. It would be nice to rip MP3s directly to the MB, however I think Infiniti wanted to avoid issues with RIAA and you can only rip audio CDs to the MB. The CF card works extremely slick.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 335i, it's a sweet car. You got the same color as Kevin (picus) didn't you?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
picus112

Originally Posted by Yimbie
That's what I keep saying but a lot of people on this forum completely disregard that. In terms of modifications between the 335i vs. G37... I'm not sure how you (to those people) could compare both when there isn't one modification for the G37 available...

I find it pretty illogical to compare something that exists to something that doesn't exist.
Because we've been doing this awhile. I will bet, right now, that the $ per horsepower for mods on the 335i will be 50:1 better than the G37. How do I know? The G35 is a perfect example; the VQ even in it's new suit, is still a high compression NA engine. Without going with a supercharger or FI you will not, read *WILL NOT* be able to add more than MAX 20hp/20tq with intakes, plenums, exhausts, ecu's etc. If you start talking a blower you're getting into the 10k range easily, with FI you're talking 15k+. I spent nearly 8k on my G coupe and got maybe 11hp. That's what... $750+ a horse. Look at the IS350 - how much more power can you get out of it without a blower or FI? Almost none. Same with the M3 or M35 or G35 or any other high displacement high compression NA 6.

With the 335i you can buy a $1200 procede and get 75hp/100tq. With an exhaust you get ~15hp/15tq. Downpipes will probably net you more, a larger turbo would be even more... I've spent ~1250 on power mods for my 335i and got 21hp/24tq, for $1200 more (less than 1/4 the price I spent on my G coupe) I would get ~75hp/75tq more. That's about $20/hp for the 335i.

Incidentally, you know the reliability that Infiniti has the advantage at? I can promise you if you SC or FI the G37, you will have more engine issues than a modded 335i. Turbo's straight up equal easier modding.

So yes, when comparing mods it is easy to predict how this will play out. Am I saying we should compare modded cars? No. I am just answering your question.

Last edited by picus112; 06-26-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Sukairain

Originally Posted by picus112
Without going with a supercharger or FI you will not, read *WILL NOT* be able to add more than MAX 20hp/20tq with intakes, plenums, exhausts, ecu's etc. If you start talking a blower you're getting into the 10k range easily, with FI you're talking 15k+. I spent nearly 8k on my G coupe and got maybe 11hp. That's what... $750+ a horse.

$15k+ for FI on the G37? I suppose if you want a completely built motor from the...... IIRC FI VQ35DE motor will give you about 120whp+ for about $7-8k. That's a far cry from the $15k you estimated. Your point is valid though, it will be much easier to mod a turbo engine than a NA one.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!