Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
N50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Number_6
I don't have a G35/37, (prospective customer, current GTO owner), but I'm surprised by all the negativity here about the tested 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. Maybe I'm not keeping up with the car market as well as I used to, but I consider anything that can turn the 1/4 mile under 14 seconds and over 100 mph as "fast". It wasn't all that long ago when the only reasonably-priced cars (under $40k) that could perform like that were cars like the 32v Mustang Cobra and the hotter versions of the Camaro/Firebird. And at that time nobody considered those cars "slow".

Even in the current market, what else is out there that does <14 seconds and >100 MPH at a price significantly under $40k? The only cars I can think of are the G35/37, the now-extinct GTO, the turbo Subies, the V8 Mustangs, and Chrysler's giant SRT8 models. Pontiac G8 is not here yet but it will probably be too heavy to beat those numbers. Most cars I listed don't have the refinements and luxury features to compete with the G35/37. (The GTO is comfy and pleasant to drive, it has minimal options and does not really compete as a luxury car--no nav, marginal sound system, manual climate control etc). And the SRT8 cars are too big and heavy to even be in the same market as a sport coupe like the G37.

In order for a 3600-3700 pound RWD car to turn low 13s and 105+ trap speeds, which a lot of people seemed to be expecting, it's going to need something like 370-400 HP. The LS2 GTO is ~3700 pounds and 400 HP, and lots of people still end up running only mid or high 13s in real world conditions. The LS1 GTOs like mine often don't break into the 13s, depending on weather and traction.

Anyway, these early track numbers are not going to make me strike a G35 or G37 off my shopping list for 2009. I think some of you are expecting Corvette performance with Infiniti luxury, which would be great, but it's just not realistic at the mid-30k price point.
Ah...we still get Z-like performance with Infiniti luxury. I'm down with that.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:31 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

I don't have a G35/37, (prospective customer, current GTO owner), but I'm surprised by all the negativity here about the tested 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. Maybe I'm not keeping up with the car market as well as I used to, but I consider anything that can turn the 1/4 mile under 14 seconds and over 100 mph as "fast". It wasn't all that long ago when the only reasonably-priced cars (under $40k) that could perform like that were cars like the 32v Mustang Cobra and the hotter versions of the Camaro/Firebird. And at that time nobody considered those cars "slow".

Even in the current market, what else is out there that does <14 seconds and >100 MPH at a price significantly under $40k? The only cars I can think of are the G35/37, the now-extinct GTO, the turbo Subies, the V8 Mustangs, and Chrysler's giant SRT8 models. Pontiac G8 is not here yet but it will probably be too heavy to beat those numbers. Most cars I listed don't have the refinements and luxury features to compete with the G35/37. (The GTO is comfy and pleasant to drive, it has minimal options and does not really compete as a luxury car--no nav, marginal sound system, manual climate control etc). And the SRT8 cars are too big and heavy to even be in the same market as a sport coupe like the G37.

In order for a 3600-3700 pound RWD car to turn low 13s and 105+ trap speeds, which a lot of people seemed to be expecting, it's going to need something like 370-400 HP. The LS2 GTO is ~3700 pounds and 400 HP, and lots of people still end up running only mid or high 13s in real world conditions. The LS1 GTOs like mine often don't break into the 13s, depending on weather and traction.

Anyway, these early track numbers are not going to make me strike a G35 or G37 off my shopping list for 2009. I think some of you are expecting Corvette performance with Infiniti luxury, which would be great, but it's just not realistic at the mid-30k price point.
Many people will cross shop this car with other entry-level luxos, including sedans. That means competitors will include the 335, the IS350, possibly the Acura TL Type S, and even the g35 sedan.

I find it particularly interesting that the 07 G35x(AWD) Sedan has smaller displacement, less power, is still lighter than the coupe that Motortrend tested, and several owners have seen 14 flat at 100 or 101.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Motortrend in their 335i review put the sedan as faster than the coupe... there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know why we're complaining about weight if Infiniti did really increase he weight due to reinforcement for doors for safety. I'd rather be in safer car than a faster car.

I think we can rule of the Acura TL Type S :P. The 335i and IS350 are very worthy competitors... they were cars that I was also considering but decided to go with the G37.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

People please remember that this is a great car for what... the mid $30k range? What were you expecting from a $35,000 car? Would you rather Infiniti had boosted the price up to $40,800 with the extra money gone to just speed? I think we're getting a wonderful car and worthy competitor of the BMW 335i for $5,000 less.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Well will you look at that the VQ finally gets some VTEC technology. One thing I hated with my coupe was that it sucks at top end. After 5k rpm the engine stops pulling. Glad that they finally did something about that. That's a pretty good article very interesting read. It won't make me buy one but nevertheless an interesting read.
Interesting. Not to thread jack, but what year is your G35? My 06 (6mt) feels like it STARTS pulling at 5k rpm and pulls all the way to the fuel cut-off (which is beyond indicated redline). If you taped over the tach and asked me to shift by feel I'd hit the limiter every time.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
muscarel

Very true post and I agree 100% BUT I am not everyone. You are forgetting that it is human nature to want more and more. Back in 1992, when the ford mustang LX 5.0 (which by the way weighed around 3150 lbs) was running 6.2 seconds to 60 and 14.6 1/4 miles, everyone thought they were rocket ships. But that is not the case now because more and more cars are running faster than that. Even though that power may not be useable on the streets is irrelevant to some people - their car is not faster than x brand car - that's all that matters.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM
TMac

I know everyone has been dying to hear what I think, so here it is.
The 335i: I drove this car and I loved it, however the interior was beyond cheap, and while I contemplated buying it, my fiance continually asked me why I wanted a car wthat cost $65000 (cdn) and the interior looks no better than a Mustang's. But I persisted, I was going to buy one, but then I continued to read more posts from BMW forums about electronics failing, sunroofs exploding and the ever dreaded oil pump problem leaving people on the side of the road. Then I started talking to people at work who own BMWs. "I love the car" they say, but it spends a lot of time at the shop. One guy who has a 2002 3 series sedan has spent $17000 of his own money repairing the car and between he and the warranty, they have replaced most of the engine. If I pay $65000 for a car, it wants to do better than that. Mind you even he admits he may have just got a lemon, and he wont sell it b/c he likes driving it. As for the styling, the 335 doesnt stand out, the Chrysler 300 is more of an eye catcher. On Audiworld there is a pic of the 335 and the S5 side by side and the 335 looks quite bland. The guys I work with all agree the 335 looks likes a Civic from the back. Mind you the new Civics have a far nicer interior.

The G37: I have been lurking here for quite a bit trying to learn more about these cars and Inifiniti's reliability. The interior, pics do it no justice. Although admittedly I have only sat in the 07 sedan, but the interior pics look identical, so that is where I base my opinion. And I think it is pretty sweet inside. The styling, I havent liked any of the colors I have seen, but in the pic with the G35 and the G37 side by side, the G35 looks like a Delorean. The headlights on the G35 make it especially outdated looking. I really like the looks of the G37, it looks new and modern, especially the side profile, and I think with the right body kit this thing will look awesome.Performance issues in the comparisons with the 335i: People are complaining about .2 or .3 seconds on the 1/4 mile, and seem to be basing their lack of purchase on this. Seriously. You roll up with Joe Schmoe in his 335, and race. From spending 2 summers at a drag strip in PEI, I found that maybe 1 in 25 drivers are good stick men, they can wring out a time .2 seconds quicker than someone with the same car. However, there are even fewer people that can do it consistently. So yes, .2 is a big deal on the drag strip, but that minimal time difference is down to the driver. And why are you taking a G37 to the run at the strip? Hell, go get a 5 liter beater and run that. Cheap to fix if anything breaks, and cheap to go fast. My main concern with speed is merging and passing highway traffic. I want a trouble free car, that can get up and go, and that is comfortable to sit in and since I spend most of my time in it and not on it, I want an interior that looks good. All that said, I am still waiting to see a black G37, and test drive one before any decision.
Cheers.

Last edited by TMac; 06-26-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
N50

Originally Posted by TMac
Now I can rest easy tonight knowing your opinion, TMac.

Welcome, lurker, to Driver. Nice write-up, btw. I agree with you on many of your points.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 PM
TMac

Originally Posted by N50
Now I can rest easy tonight knowing your opinion, TMac.
You know, I said to my self, Self, if I only reach even just one person, my job is done. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Welcome TMac. When my black G37 comes in you can come drive it any time.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by TMac
The 335i: I drove this car and I loved it, however the interior was beyond cheap, and while I contemplated buying it, my fiance continually asked me why I wanted a car wthat cost $65000 (cdn) and the interior looks no better than a Mustang's. But I persisted, I was going to buy one, but then I continued to read more posts from BMW forums about electronics failing, sunroofs exploding and the ever dreaded oil pump problem leaving people on the side of the road. Then I started talking to people at work who own BMWs. "I love the car" they say, but it spends a lot of time at the shop. One guy who has a 2002 3 series sedan has spent $17000 of his own money repairing the car and between he and the warranty, they have replaced most of the engine. If I pay $65000 for a car, it wants to do better than that. Mind you even he admits he may have just got a lemon, and he wont sell it b/c he likes driving it. As for the styling, the 335 doesnt stand out, the Chrysler 300 is more of an eye catcher. On Audiworld there is a pic of the 335 and the S5 side by side and the 335 looks quite bland. The guys I work with all agree the 335 looks likes a Civic from the back. Mind you the new Civics have a far nicer interior.

The G37: I have been lurking here for quite a bit trying to learn more about these cars and Inifiniti's reliability. The interior, pics do it no justice. Although admittedly I have only sat in the 07 sedan, but the interior pics look identical, so that is where I base my opinion. And I think it is pretty sweet inside. The styling, I havent liked any of the colors I have seen, but in the pic with the G35 and the G37 side by side, the G35 looks like a Delorean. The headlights on the G35 make it especially outdated looking. I really like the looks of the G37, it looks new and modern, especially the side profile, and I think with the right body kit this thing will look awesome.Performance issues in the comparisons with the 335i: People are complaining about .2 or .3 seconds on the 1/4 mile, and seem to be basing their lack of purchase on this. Seriously. You roll up with Joe Schmoe in his 335, and race. From spending 2 summers at a drag strip in PEI, I found that maybe 1 in 25 drivers are good stick men, they can wring out a time .2 seconds quicker than someone with the same car. However, there are even fewer people that can do it consistently. So yes, .2 is a big deal on the drag strip, but that minimal time difference is down to the driver. And why are you taking a G37 to the run at the strip? Hell, go get a 5 liter beater and run that. Cheap to fix if anything breaks, and cheap to go fast. My main concern with speed is merging and passing highway traffic. I want a trouble free car, that can get up and go, and that is comfortable to sit in and since I spend most of my time in it and not on it, I want an interior that looks good. All that said, I am still waiting to see a black G37, and test drive one before any decision.
Cheers.
Thank you soooo much for your post. You have spoken for many of us future G37 owners who have to fend off all these negative posts about our cars. I dont think a lot of people realize that they're doing that. It's like if someone posting pictures of their new 2007 G35 coupe and people just whining about all the bad stuff about it. I'm sure that owner would be hurt and disappointed that so many people on a forum for the Gs are so negative towards it.

I wonder how much of this stuff will happen when people actually have their G37s and post them up on here. No one would dare insult a person's ride on here... or if they do... it would be pretty subtle from what I have seen. Right now it's mostly just attack attack attack on the G37.

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-26-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
picus112

Originally Posted by mantisG35
that's not true according to bimmerfest. that's where i got this info from. in any case infiniti should have matched cars, that's only fair
I am 100000% positive what I said is true. Literally, I'd bet my house on it. I've prepped something like 50 335i's now (really), March '07+ zsp = cooler, no zsp = no cooler. Pre March '07, everything but MT zsp = no cooler.

One point I want to make re: the BMW interior. You guys can believe what I say or not... but the BMW interior is not cheap. It may be *poorly designed*, but poorly designed and cheap are not the same thing. I agree, the ergonomics are not good, and the contemporary design does not appeal to everyone. But I can absolutely promise you that the *material quality* in the 335i is superior to any car in the class. From the dash to the trim to the carpeting to the ***** to the gauges to the headliner material, to the fitment. The G35 sedan does make good competition, particularly the washi and wood trims (the rosewood is very nice), but it's not quite there. The design, however, is much better.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Yimbie
Thank you soooo much for your post. You have spoken for many of us future G37 owners who have to fend off all these negative posts about our cars. I dont think a lot of people realize that they're doing that. It's like if someone posting pictures of their new 2007 G35 coupe and people just whining about all the bad stuff about it. I'm sure that owner would be hurt and disappointed that so many people on a forum for the Gs are so negative towards it.

I wonder how much of this stuff will happen when people actually have their G37s and post them up on here. No one would dare insult a person's ride on here... or if they do... it would be pretty subtle from what I have seen. Right now it's mostly just attack attack attack on the G37.
Dude, just pack it up and leave. We're not all blind followers, ready to drink the corporate koolaid. When the Company drops the ball, myself(and many others here) are going to make sure Infiniti knows it.

I'm a fan of the brand. You seem to be pretty new here, and I doubt you know many of the members, so let me introduce myself. I bought my first G35 back in March of 05. It was an 04 5AT Sedan. Three months later, I bought my next G35; this time an 05 6MT Sedan, with my wife taking the 04. Over the next two years, we helped start a local G35/350z club, and attended numerous local and regional gatherings. I have ran my car down the drag strip over 200 times, and my wife at least 100 times. We have both autocrossed the cars. My car has been on the dyno for over 60 pulls. I have tried most of the naturally aspirated bolt-ons available for the first gen, sometimes multiple flavors of each. I have given back quite a bit to this community in the form of product reviews and dyno analysis. Then in May, my wife picked up her 07 6MT Sedan. That's right: 3 g35's in two years.

I think that after all the time and money I have invested in the cars and this community, I have earned the right to call a spade a spade, and a fat g37 a fat g37. If you don't like it, then you can either leave or put me on ignore.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
What some of the newer members/Infiniti owners seem to forget is how Infiniti, and more importantly, the G35, got to be where it is today. When the G35 sedan was introduced in 02, is made more power, and consequently was faster, than any other car in its segment(most importantly the TL, 3 series, and IS300), and was RWD. When the Coupe came along a few months later, it was a continuation of the practices it started with the Sedan. Being cheaper than the competition isn't enough. It needed to not only match, but exceed the performance of its competition in quantitative categories.

And for those that say car companies don't sell to enthusiasts, that's hogwash. The the likes of BMW, the enthusiasts are the core market. Without them, there wouldn't be any cachet inherent in the brand. BMW knows this, and cultivates its relationships with the enthusiasts. They have the M division. They are involved in many different racing leagues, with factory support. The company even sponsors and manages it's own certified owner's driving events at real race tracks.

BMW wouldn't be the king without focusing on it's core, these enthusiasts.
I don't necessarily agree that the core market of BMW is the enthusiast, its the yuppy who thinks of BMW as a status symbol, they number of M's sold is a very small percentage of their cars sold compared to the number of 318/323/328's sold over the years along with the 530. These are their big money makers, who buy bmw's not because they are the fastest best handling car, but rather for the the little emblem on the hood and trunk.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Dude, just pack it up and leave. We're not all blind followers, ready to drink the corporate koolaid. When the Company drops the ball, myself(and many others here) are going to make sure Infiniti knows it.

I'm a fan of the brand. You seem to be pretty new here, and I doubt you know many of the members, so let me introduce myself. I bought my first G35 back in March of 05. It was an 04 5AT Sedan. Three months later, I bought my next G35; this time an 05 6MT Sedan, with my wife taking the 04. Over the next two years, we helped start a local G35/350z club, and attended numerous local and regional gatherings. I have ran my car down the drag strip over 200 times, and my wife at least 100 times. We have both autocrossed the cars. My car has been on the dyno for over 60 pulls. I have tried most of the naturally aspirated bolt-ons available for the first gen, sometimes multiple flavors of each. I have given back quite a bit to this community in the form of product reviews and dyno analysis. Then in May, my wife picked up her 07 6MT Sedan. That's right: 3 g35's in two years.

I think that after all the time and money I have invested in the cars and this community, I have earned the right to call a spade a spade, and a fat g37 a fat g37. If you don't like it, then you can either leave or put me on ignore.
Oh go ahead and do what you wish on these forums... what am I going to do? lol. I can't control your free will. I'm just comparing how these forums are like compared with the 2007 G35 Sedan forum before that car came out and to what it is now.

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!