G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
JEVERYDAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot man. Looking forward to picking this up off the shelf TONIGHT!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Can't wait for this issue to come in the mail. No one can stay on top forever, it was about time someone dethroned the 335, glad it was the G37!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Potty_Pants

heads up guys...

just read an article on the new 2008 350 er 370z...

skinny = 350HP with the 3.7 engine

how much would this extra 20hp (torque unknown) for the G37 provide for the current 0-60 1/4 mile numbers ?

enough to beat bmw 335i or match ?

btw 370z will have an optional hard top too.

edit: if the 350hp is true, the 370z will be in a very good spot when its released, nice improvement over the 2007 model and greater improvement over the g35-g37

ppp

Last edited by Potty_Pants; 06-26-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by wyatthanson
But if they aren't tracking, they wont notice the lack of an oil cooler in the 335i, making it the superior choice? Especially with it's low-end torque for town driving.

In the end, all 335is now have the oil cooler. Infiniti supplied the E92 for this comparo, and naturally I assume they chose one without an oil cooler for the given results.
Without the overheating part, the comparison is more equal. Add in the fact that we are all enthusiasts and WOULD justify 80hp/100tq for $1200, and it's even MORE superior.

I'm not hating on the G, I do like it - - a lot - - just trying to make the comparo fair.
The test car was a "fresh 335i" after the cooked one left the test wounded. This has already been pointed out. Read the article again as that fact seems to keep slipping the minds of the BMW crowd.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Meth68
I would use the word "Trounces" lightly. I mean if money wasn't a factor the 335 would still be on top.
IMO, money has to be a factor when comparing two vehicles, especially when the price difference is $7k+. You don't think money would be a factor if a mag was comparing the 335i with a car $7k+ more expensive? Of course it would.

But I agree though, "trounce" is definitely not the case with this comparison........more like a slim margin at best.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
picus112

Originally Posted by xdram
From what I understand it was the auto 335 sedan's that didn't come with the oil coolers but that is now fixed. People getting their 335's now report they all have the oil coolers. BMW prob had limited supply so they took it out of cars which their research showed buyers wouldn't notice... Forums are great, most of those people would of never known if it wasn't for forums. BMW doesn't want you opening the hood, there isn't even a dip stick in the e90's...
This isn't the case. Initially this is how it worked:

From June/06 through March/07 production all manuals with sport package got the cooler. Manuals without sport didn't, no auto's did. This is coupe and sedan.

In March/07 they added the cooler to auto's with sport. Non sport still don't get it.

Neither of the cars in this test had an oil cooler. The first was non sport and the second was a pre-march auto. In the second part of the test, as much as I know I will be flamed for this, MT had a huge drama queen fit about 280F. 280F is still 40F under the threshold for this car, it is well within the normal operating limit (240-312F), in fact it's almost right in the middle. Saying "Munch we have a problem" about 280F in a 335i is like saying "Tochigi we have a problem" because the G37 weights 3660lbs. It is what it is.

Last edited by picus112; 06-26-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM
mygiantcircle

Originally Posted by Potty_Pants
heads up guys...

how much would this extra 20hp (torque unknown) for the G37 provide for the current 0-60 1/4 mile numbers ?

edit: if the 350hp is true, the 370z will be in a very good spot when its released, nice improvement over the 2007 model and greater improvement over the g35-g37

ppp

May we have a link to this 370z article?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
N50

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
High trap speeds don't sell cars. "Good" cars sell. Infiniti/Nissan wants to make money, so they made a car that will outsell the previous generation(by far imo). That is smart business. For high trap speeds get a 350Z or wait for the 370Z and/or the GTR.
From a business perspective, you're spot on. The enthusiast in all of us wants to see a quicker trap and 1/4, I think. I'm not complaining though, this will be a hell of a car...and it's a sexy s.o.b.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Potty_Pants

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
You made a very intelligent statement, and then lost the ball on the 1 yd line. If in fact this guy is the S**t when it comes to launching a G35 from the line to get the these great times, then very simply, he needs to also get a G37 in his hands to test from launch. If he can make his car hit the trap that fast, its only fair to compare his numbers in a 37, and not some one else's. I bet I could sit in his car all day and not get the same times as he does from the very same car.

Dont blame the G37 in a magazine test for its speeds and then compare it to a guy who can squeez out equal/better times in a different car, notice I did not say lesser, just different. If he is in fact as good as you say (which I am not doubting at all) then he should be able to take the 37 and kick every test number we have seen to date from the magazines.

Different drivers get different results, I am not jumping on this slam the 37 bandwagon because of a few early test runs. This happens every time a new car hits the magazines pages, a few tenths of a second causes WWIII over drivers who argue until the cows come home about the car, the weather, the temps, this car will be sooo much faster when (insert anything) is different....

I am no ace at the drag strip myself, but I know enough to wait out a few runs- every car out there has more then 1 number in as many reviews as it gets published.

After the testdrive, I hope to either lease 1, or if it is not impressive enough I may start looking at the GTR, but I will have to get a lot more green saved up if I want to make that kind of a jump. From the data I have seen so far, this will be 1 great ride, and I would be lucky enough to afford this rocket.
Yes BobbyD is a great driver, and if he got a hold of the g37 it would have put down even better times. I don't dispute that. But IMO, it shouldn't even be close. The G37 should be putting down mid 13's in the hands of magazines. In the hands of good drivers, it should put down low 13's. It's got the drivetrain and the power. But Infiniti crippled the car with its weight.

And here's the real kicker: they were running at the same 1/4 track at which I run. My first time out ever drag racing I ran a 14.7@95 in my 05 6MT. That was in the morbid heat, and I was completely new to drag racing, launching, shifting quickly, you name it. Later that fall, my car was good for low 14's at 100mph, limited only by my ability to launch. Granted it was in cooler weather, but not remarkably so in comparison to the conditions for this Motor Trend article. And at the time, I only had hiflow cats.

Maybe that's a better comparison. My sedan, with highflow cats, was making about 245hp to the wheels and running low 14's at 100mph. When the temps dropped even more, I was able to run a 13.79@102.2 mph. By comparison, this 3 year newer car, with all the new tech, and 45 more horsepower, can barely match my ET or trap speeds.

In the current trim, my car has run a 13.62@103.6mph at that very samy track. Of course, that is with all my mods and my drag radials. The car should be good for even better times and traps than that.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jnmunsey
High trap speeds don't sell cars. "Good" cars sell. Infiniti/Nissan wants to make money, so they made a car that will outsell the previous generation(by far imo). That is smart business. For high trap speeds get a 350Z or wait for the 370Z and/or the GTR.
What some of the newer members/Infiniti owners seem to forget is how Infiniti, and more importantly, the G35, got to be where it is today. When the G35 sedan was introduced in 02, is made more power, and consequently was faster, than any other car in its segment(most importantly the TL, 3 series, and IS300), and was RWD. When the Coupe came along a few months later, it was a continuation of the practices it started with the Sedan. Being cheaper than the competition isn't enough. It needed to not only match, but exceed the performance of its competition in quantitative categories.

And for those that say car companies don't sell to enthusiasts, that's hogwash. The the likes of BMW, the enthusiasts are the core market. Without them, there wouldn't be any cachet inherent in the brand. BMW knows this, and cultivates its relationships with the enthusiasts. They have the M division. They are involved in many different racing leagues, with factory support. The company even sponsors and manages it's own certified owner's driving events at real race tracks.

BMW wouldn't be the king without focusing on it's core, these enthusiasts.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by Potty_Pants
heads up guys...

ppp
Going with the automobile chasis dyno that implied the g37 was putting down more power, could it be that its probably the exact same engine going in the 370z but just labeled appropriately? Z will no doubt weigh less...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
bloodhound

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
What some of the newer members/Infiniti owners seem to forget is how Infiniti, and more importantly, the G35, got to be where it is today. When the G35 sedan was introduced in 02, is made more power, and consequently was faster, than any other car in its segment(most importantly the TL, 3 series, and IS300), and was RWD. When the Coupe came along a few months later, it was a continuation of the practices it started with the Sedan. Being cheaper than the competition isn't enough. It needed to not only match, but exceed the performance of its competition in quantitative categories.

And for those that say car companies don't sell to enthusiasts, that's hogwash. The the likes of BMW, the enthusiasts are the core market. Without them, there wouldn't be any cachet inherent in the brand. BMW knows this, and cultivates its relationships with the enthusiasts. They have the M division. They are involved in many different racing leagues, with factory support. The company even sponsors and manages it's own certified owner's driving events at real race tracks.

BMW wouldn't be the king without focusing on it's core, these enthusiasts.
And charging $ for it too.....
Old 06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
That's one heck of a disguise... Yu can tell it is masked but the maskign makes it look just like the current Z
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
The preproduction version that Automobile magazine dyno'd at almost 290hp on a dynojet. The VQ35HR typically puts down ~265hp on a dynojet. That is nowhere close to 50hp.

The VQ35DE (revup) would typically put down ~240 on a dynojet, and the non-revup would put anywhere between 215 and 225 on a dynojet.

And to my knowledge there has never been a VQ35DE g35 to hit a 13.7 stock(though BobbyD was close with a 13.8).

What concerns me more is the trap speed: 100.9ph. That's pigtastic IMO. BobbyD, in his 03.5 6MT Sedan, trapped almost exactly 101mph bone stock, down to the tire. Granted, the conditions were ideal compared to when this review was conducted, but that should be an embarrassment to Infiniti.
Ok then what about the new 2007 G35 Sedan? It is basically the same car/engine except the Coupe is a 3.7 Liter. I saw someone here in a BONE STOCK 2007 G35 Sedan pull a 13.7. So you are telling me the coupe is SLOWER than the Sedan?

Quick Reply: It's Official - G37 Trounces 335i!