Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 review in Car and Driver Aug Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 AM
RBull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350Zed
It looks like it will still be close in performance to the BMW 335i, but at a lower price-point.

For those of you looking for more of a pure performance car, stop wasting your time with the G35/37 and go get yourself a 350Z, or the upcoming 370Z, which will have the same engine as the G37 but will weigh much less.

The G37 is not intended to be a "sports car"... it's a luxury GT/coupe.
That's starting to appeal a lot more to me. 3500+ lbs. was on the high end for me, with my '04 Coupe. We'll have to see how much the 370Z will weigh.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:27 AM
MaDd

if this doesnt improve, i'm set on the 335.. lease expires in a few months
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM
6969g35

Originally Posted by Yimbie
5.3 seconds is slow?? What is fast to you?? *sighs*

0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds? Boohoo! I want it to be 5 seconds because everyone knows that the extra .3 seconds adds a lifetime! Really... can you tell whether a car does 5.0 seconds or 5.3 seconds??

People are their criticisms these days...
I wanted 4.9/5.0 braging rights homes
I will be in the market for new ride 2009
so we will see whats out there..
Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
Didn't want to quote the whole post because of its length, but you are SPOT ON! Thanks for doing what those like myself are too lazy to do.
Absolutely dead-on. I've owned lots of faster cars, but want a good-looking more technologically sophisticated car with more creature comforts (Bluetooth/full iPod integration/NAVI/Sound/Exhaust note/Grip,etc.) and the G37 works for me. All of this for $40K? Come-on, it's a steal.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 AM
mygiantcircle

Originally Posted by MaDdFLaSheR
if this doesnt improve, i'm set on the 335.. lease expires in a few months
... enjoy your ride then.

the 335 sounds like an amazing car, but make sure you do your research. I have also been following forums like bimmerfest, and frankly, there are just too many issues right now with the 335 such as:

1) fuel pump failures
2) 5&6 cylinder insufficient cooling
3) engine going into limp mode after short hard drives (even with oil cooler kit installed)

No doubt the 335 will be faster than the G37 with inexpensive mods like xCede. If you are only keeping the car till the warranty runs out, this is a perfect car for you.

I used to own a Mitsu Starion and RX7T2, so I know first hand what turbo heat does to the engine and its supporting components. And eventhough I had a blast moding them (especially the RX7T2), I paid dearly for maintenance. This was why I later opted for the 300Z NA instead of the TT.

I am still struggling with the 335 vs G37 purchasing decision, and won't decide until I have driven them back-to-back. However, before you run off and get either car, I am suggesting you do your homework!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Potty_Pants

now the G37 inside is great and the outside is questionable.

from reading the article it seemed the performance was just a mid gen refresh... but its not its a Gen2 version. IMO Infiniti should of spent more $ to improve the #'s. since alot of the stuff today is the numbers game.

its amazing the new G37 was 3,717 pounds !!!! and whats the 350z 3200 ?

can you guys imagine if they tossed the new 35HR in the 2008 coupe ? performance numbers would be even worse ! I'll be this was their original plan until bmw came out with their TT setup.

ppp
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
picus112

Haha, you guys talk about these cars like they are carbon copies of eachother with just minor differences and a 10k price difference. Seriously, the self justification in this thread is bordering on obscene. Muscarel - we know where you stand of course, but to ask why someone would get a 335i over a G37 if they aren't a badge *****? That's pushing it even for you.

How about this; the cars won't be the same. Let's forget the numbers, no 0-60, no 1/4 mile, no skidpad or slalom. Do you think these cars will drive identically even if they scored *exactly* the same on all objective tests? Do you think you can pick a car to buy by reading internet forums and mag reviews? These cars will drive *differently*, period. The engines themselves are so vastly different (despite being of similar power), that alone is enough for one test drive to offer a clear favorite in one direction or the other. The steering, the suspension, the transmissions... even if these cars had the same gearing and the same speed and the same slalom, they would still feel entirely different day to do.

So, how about this to answer your question. I had two G35s, I liked them a lot. I like the 335i a lot more; it suits the way I drive. The low end torque, the smooth acceleration, the very quick auto transmission, the precise and aural steering... I am sure the G37 will be a great, great car, but I can promise you it'll drive differently. Others will prefer that, good for them.

Seriously, what a silly question.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
mygiantcircle

^ nice point.

BTW, any hiccups with the 335 thus far?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mygiantcircle
the price listed in the mag:

base: 34765
Prem package 2350
Rear spoiler: 550

As tested 37665

Power: 330hp, 270 lb-ft
redline 7600

weight: 3717

0-60: 5.3
1/4 mile: 13.9 @ 103
brake 70-0: 164ft
i might have been on edmunds where the video was posted

but toward the end of the video it said it should be 35k with sport package

now i could do 35k with sport package but 35 base i dunno bc if ima spend 40k

i might just have to make a stop by the bmw dealership
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by picus112
Haha, you guys talk about these cars like they are carbon copies of eachother with just minor differences and a 10k price difference. Seriously, the self justification in this thread is bordering on obscene. Muscarel - we know where you stand of course, but to ask why someone would get a 335i over a G37 if they aren't a badge *****? That's pushing it even for you.

How about this; the cars won't be the same. Let's forget the numbers, no 0-60, no 1/4 mile, no skidpad or slalom. Do you think these cars will drive identically even if they scored *exactly* the same on all objective tests? Do you think you can pick a car to buy by reading internet forums and mag reviews? These cars will drive *differently*, period. The engines themselves are so vastly different (despite being of similar power), that alone is enough for one test drive to offer a clear favorite in one direction or the other. The steering, the suspension, the transmissions... even if these cars had the same gearing and the same speed and the same slalom, they would still feel entirely different day to do.

So, how about this to answer your question. I had two G35s, I liked them a lot. I like the 335i a lot more; it suits the way I drive. The low end torque, the smooth acceleration, the very quick auto transmission, the precise and aural steering... I am sure the G37 will be a great, great car, but I can promise you it'll drive differently. Others will prefer that, good for them.

Seriously, what a silly question.
Picus,

I was addressing someone's comment that said they couldn't see why someone would buy a G37 over a 335. So, I asked the same question in reverse - the only difference being that I offered actual reasons to backup my question.

We know where you stand on this subject so it doesn't surprise me that you want to believe they drive infinitely different. I HAVE driven the 335 6-speed and even wrote a quick review of it here. So, my comments are not baseless.

Why would you compare your OLD G35 with the NEW 335? We all know that the G37 has addressed alot of the "issues" that plagued the G35 coupe. How can you be assured that it will ride differently when you haven't driven it? You accuse me of buying a car based on magazine reviews buit then you go on to say you know that the bimmer will drive better - have better transmission, etc. Hey, surprise - YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN THE CAR!

Then again, this doesn't surprise me. I see this all the time on the bimmer forums. The assumption that the BMW was more money because of some intangibles. How about BMW start addressing some tangibles like reliability and technology and stop relying on blind allegiances of BMW owners?

Look, I've said it a million times - the 335 is a great car and I am seriously considering it. But for very different reasons than what is stated here. Do not assume that it must be better because it COSTS more. Do what I am doing and drive both back to back and then make an educated decision on the car's OVERALL ability and value.

Geez, I know you need to defend your ride, but c'mon.

Last edited by muscarel; 06-25-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
RPL

Ohhhh..... I get it. Did you put a down payment on a G37 already?

The difference, btw, from a 13.9 and a 13.3 is night and day. Besides, you can't beat the twin turbo, and its mod potential, of the 335i - not with the G37 anyhow.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
muscarel

Uh, no. Actually, because of allocations, I probably won't buy anything until beginning of next year. I see no reason to get a RWD car in the winter time.

Once again, you're stuck on 1/4 mile times. Good luck with your new car.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Potty_Pants

the question is... am i going to test drive the G37... hmmmmmmm

would be nice for just a comparison.

can we really have a good test drive if the tires aren't warm and only have 20 miles on the car ?

ppp
Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 PM
muscarel

^^That's tough but all test drives are like that.

And the 335 may drive alot better than the G37 - that's ok. But don't get the horse before the cart.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:17 PM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by 6969g35
I wanted 4.9/5.0 braging rights homes
I will be in the market for new ride 2009
so we will see whats out there..
exactly man. with all the bragging about the VVEL and the bigger engine displacement and more horsepower you would definitely expect something close to the competition (S5, 335i and even the boring IS350). Doesnt the 07 sedan do 0-60 in like 5.2 or 5.3 seconds?
my intension isnt just bashing the car, but im really disappointed. first it had to do some searious growing-up-on-me BS, and now it's as slow as my g35.

but i cannot wait to see the japanese racing of G37, 335, and the lexus like they did with the sedan

Quick Reply: G37 review in Car and Driver Aug Issue