Sponsored By:

Autoweek blurb

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
mygiantcircle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autoweek blurb

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1003/1007/FREE

"Yes, the new BMW 3 Series coupe has a whole bunch more power because of the twin turbochargers underhood, and yes, it still moves around quicker than the competition, but that alone is not what sets it apart. It’s the sound engineering that lets you beat on it all day at the track and still drive it home in comfort—without having to use duct tape for anything—that makes it king of the performance coupes.

All this could change once we test the upcoming Infiniti G37 coupe, of course. A preliminary track drive in a G37 mule felt promising, indeed (“Growth Spurt,” AW, April 16). The G37 was fun to push around at and just over its limits, feeling the car give in a nice, progressive manner as we pushed it harder and harder in corners. But its promise was not quite all-conquering, leaving the BMW in first place if we had to guess this early. The Lexus IS 350, meanwhile, is a good competitor but doesn’t come with an off switch for that highly intrusive stability control until next year. It was bested by the Bimmer, taking half a second more to get to 60 and to the quarter-mile."
Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 PM
N50

If this turns out to be the case, it won't be surprising. I think we all guessed that the 3 series would come out on top in comparison tests.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

I'm expecting the 335i to "win" against the G37 in terms of performance. BMW just made such a great performance vehicle with the 335i coupe. In this field... BMW is very very difficult to beat.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:04 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by Yimbie
I'm expecting the 335i to "win" against the G37 in terms of performance. BMW just made such a great performance vehicle with the 335i coupe. In this field... BMW is very very difficult to beat.

If that holds true then the old adage
you get what you pay for
applies.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Msedanman
O.F. Administrator

+1...coming second to the Bimmer isn't all bad....The new G-Coupe won't be that far behind it....and still an excellent buy...

C.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 PM
N50

Originally Posted by RBull
If that holds true then the old adage applies.

More like "you pay for what it's worth and then some for the prestige". IMO, of course.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by RBull
If that holds true then the old adage applies.
Pay thousands more for just a tad bit more performance and an interior that is sub-par (the 335i interior has been criticized by many car magazines so I'm definitely not the only one who thinks so; I haven't seen car magazines criticizing the G37 interior though... if anyone finds a link, link it to me please because i really want to hear their side of it)? No thanks. I'd rather spend the extra money on modifications to make the G37 even better.

His opinions are very similiar to mine... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfINoRJeFs

I love the British and their English. London is amazing.

Last edited by Yimbie; 06-23-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:39 PM
muscarel

^^Exactly. Why is it that if the 335 runs 0.2 seconds faster people say "You get what you pay for" but they choose to ignore that the G37 actually gives you MORE than the 3-series.

Intuitive and technologically advanced NAV system - you get to pay less
14" 4-piston brakes - you get to pay less
Modern, high quality interior with good ergonomics - you get to pay less
standard "comfort access" - you get to pay less
better reliability - you get to pay less
compact flash card for Music, hard drive for music - you get to pay less
intoxicating exhaust music - you get to pay less
better around the track (according to the first reviews) - you get to pay less
19" wheels with non-RFT - you get to pay less

Roundel on your trunk - you get what you pay for.

Makes sense.

All kidding aside the 335 is a fantastic car - but let's admit that BMW goes cheap with giving you what you pay for. I like the styling of the 3-series and of course the acceleration, and that is why I am considering it. BUT the car is definitely over-priced when you compare what you get with the Infiniti vs the BMW.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 PM
bostonmerlin

the way i see it.. both cars put a smile on your face.. why pay 10k more for the same smile!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

A BMW 335i Coupe equivalent is about $53,170 (from www.bmwusa.com 335i coupe build website).

The Infiniti G37 should remain around $42,000... $42,500 max for a fully loaded car. I wonder what I can do with $11,000... hmm... that should give the G37 just a little itty bit of performance boost.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Drtybrd61

His opinions are very similiar to mine... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfINoRJeFs
I like how they put it on a normal, everyday street and not one person stopped to look at it. It didn't hit me until now, but it really does look like all the other BMWs.

There's not too much out there that looks like the G. (save your altima coupe jokes)
Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Yimbie
Yin-Yang and Life

Originally Posted by Drtybrd61
I like how they put it on a normal, everyday street and not one person stopped to look at it. It didn't hit me until now, but it really does look like all the other BMWs.

There's not too much out there that looks like the G. (save your altima coupe jokes)
lol
Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by Drtybrd61

I've seen that review before.

Like the man said, he's just looking for a "little more tickle in the trousers".
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
LudwigB

"The new 335i was just as impressive through our slalom, where the BMW’s 45.8 mph was only 0.2 off the G35, within the margin of driver error."
So if the 335i is not ahead, then it's driver error. LOL's. They got all their excuses.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 AM
jackygor

I think infiniti played a very crucial part to the creation of 335i. If infiniti never made the G35, the styling and the performance of 335i will never be as good as it is. So props to both companies.

As for 335i being the leader of its segment, I am not all surprised. Since BMW has always made good cars, but like someone said earlier, being second isn't so bad since G37 will be hell of a car!

Quick Reply: Autoweek blurb