G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1/4 mile predictions for G37 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
wyatthanson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I am glad someone finished it up for Hypnoz.
Thanks for explaining, Muscarel and FAST1.

With DR's, it's hard to figure, but I imagine 6K would still be unnecessarily high.
Time will tell.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
FAST1

Originally Posted by muscarel
Car and Driver:

2007 G35 - 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and 5-60 in 5.9 seconds. That's 0.4 seconds off.

2007 335 Sedan - 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and 5-60 in 5.6 seconds. That's 0.8 seconds different.

2007 Corvette Z51 - 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and 5-60 in 5.2 seconds. That's 0.9 seconds different.

The above is counter-intuitive from what I have read about the BMW's lag-fee turbos and Corvette's low-end torque. It also would support that the G35 (or 7) is not a low-torque slug that needs the snot beat out of it to move.

Fast1, how do you explain the above? It would seem that the G35 is able to take advantage of a greater % of it's full performance in daily driving than the corvette or 335.
Some observations from the data you presented:

1.That 5.5 is very impressive for the G35. Was that the G35 sedan's time? As a matter of fact the 5.9 for 5/60 is the time listed by most magazines for the 0/60 for the G coupe.
2. I saw a base '07 C6 with the Z51 option being advertised by Kerbeck for $44K a few months ago. A 4.3 for a $44K car is beyond belief.
3. A 5.9 for 5/60 is truly impressive for such a relatively heavy car as the G35.
4. I agree that the data you presented would definately lead to the conclusion that the '07 G35 and presumably the G37 are not low-torque slugs that have to be abused to get their best performance. The data would suggest that even though the Gs may not reach maximum torque until near 5K rpm, they still must make a substantial amount of torque at the lower rpm range.

Hats off to Infiniti. Those who will be buying the G37 should have a very respectable street performer.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM
FAST1

muscarel - One last thought about the G's times for the 0/60 and 5/60. Did you read the magazine article regarding the test? Sometimes because of the tires on the tested car or because of track conditions, the tester may have traction problems. It may very well mean that the G35 could be much faster with a different set of tires, and I won't be surprised if much faster 0/60 times are posted by some other magazines.

Last edited by FAST1; 06-03-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by wyatthanson
I must be horrible at reading. So please explain to me what you meant and what I missed in that original post I quoted?

"12s no doubt with DRs and 5-6K launch."

I said stop speculating, and why would this car need a 6K launch.... Hmm, yeah, I can't read.

Sigh, I suppose I'll have to spell it out for you. I know that you couldn't comprehend my post, but I can only hope you can comprehend this one.

I said "12s no doubt with DRs and 5-6K launch.

The higher the rpm when launching the more power the car is creating, and with DRs you will get more traction. Hence my point, a lower 60' and a lower 1/4 time. What is hard to understand about that?

If you could get full traction at any rpm then you would want to launch at the RPM with the most power. Understand?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:55 PM
FAST1

I said "12s no doubt with DRs and 5-6K launch.

A 12.8 - 12.9 1/4 for a G37 with DRs is certainly within the realm of possibility with a 5K rpm launch and a driver skilled at handling high rpm launches. It won't be long before we have to end the speculation since I expect magazine reports on the G37 before too long.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by FAST1
Some observations from the data you presented:

1.That 5.5 is very impressive for the G35. Was that the G35 sedan's time? As a matter of fact the 5.9 for 5/60 is the time listed by most magazines for the 0/60 for the G coupe.
2. I saw a base '07 C6 with the Z51 option being advertised by Kerbeck for $44K a few months ago. A 4.3 for a $44K car is beyond belief.
3. A 5.9 for 5/60 is truly impressive for such a relatively heavy car as the G35.
4. I agree that the data you presented would definately lead to the conclusion that the '07 G35 and presumably the G37 are not low-torque slugs that have to be abused to get their best performance. The data would suggest that even though the Gs may not reach maximum torque until near 5K rpm, they still must make a substantial amount of torque at the lower rpm range.

Hats off to Infiniti. Those who will be buying the G37 should have a very respectable street performer.

To answer #1 - Yes, that's an 07 sedan with the HR (the closest thing to the new G37).

All test were from Car and Driver. I must say, I am surprised of the gaps in the torquier cars myself.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:07 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by FAST1
muscarel - One last thought about the G's times for the 0/60 and 5/60. Did you read the magazine article regarding the test? Sometimes because of the tires on the tested car or because of track conditions, the tester may have traction problems. It may very well mean that the G35 could be much faster with a different set of tires, and I won't be surprised if much faster 0/60 times are posted by some other magazines.

The new sedans are almost all showing low 5's for 0/60 in the car mags.

Different sets of tires may help, but I can't see it being too different unless you go to DR's (which I don't consider apples to apples).
Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 PM
FAST1

Originally Posted by muscarel
The new sedans are almost all showing low 5's for 0/60 in the car mags.

Different sets of tires may help, but I can't see it being too different unless you go to DR's (which I don't consider apples to apples).
It will be interesting to see what times the magazines get for the G37. Don't be surprised if Car & Driver gets the best times however. I've been at the dragstrip on many occassions and I can usually beat the times posted in magazines, but I have to admit that the boys at C&D are tough to match.

No matter which way you cut it however, the G37 will be a quick car, especially for a luxury GT with all of the amenities. I'm still impressed by the .4 differance in time between the 0/60 and 5/60 that you posted for the G35 sedan.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 AM
G37Knight

I thought the 2007 g35 sedan did quicker then 5.5 0-60?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 AM
wyatthanson

Hypoz - I clearly understood what you meant. But until it's done, I wont believe it. And even with traction, that doesn't mean 6K is the launch point. If you want to watch the RPMs bog down a little bit, go for it.
I simply said stop speculating, since that is all you are doing. No need to claim I can't read.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Hypnoz

Hypoz - I clearly understood what you meant. But until it's done, I wont believe it. And even with traction, that doesn't mean 6K is the launch point. If you want to watch the RPMs bog down a little bit, go for it.
I simply said stop speculating, since that is all you are doing. No need to claim I can't read.
You obviously lack comprehension skills. Tell me where I said it NEEDS to be launched at that high of rpm? I laugh at the fact that you tell me to stop speculating when that is exactly what you are doing as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 AM
FAST1

wyatthanson - As someone who has spent lots of afternoons at the dragstrip, I can tell you that the only way that you can determine the best launch point is by trial and error. If you read Hypoz's original post, he stated 5-6 K rpm launch with DRs to get into the 12s. Maybe 6K will be too high but I wouldn't be surprised if it will take around a 5K rpm launch to get the absolute best time, but as you suggest there are problems with high rpm launches. That's why I'm more impressed with 5/60 times that are far easier to replicate on the street. It won't be too long before we know the answers, and it appears as though the G37 will be a very quick car.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 AM
muscarel

I can't find the reciew with the 0.4 sec difference now. Here are some others:

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ecs-page4.html

This review shows 0-60 in 5.2 and 5-60 in 5.8 (0.6 sec difference)

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...i-g35-6mt.html

This is a 1st Gen review. 0/60 - 5.9 and 5/60 in 6.3 (0.4 sec difference).
Old 06-04-2007, 03:02 PM
wyatthanson

I too am more concerned with 5-60.
But it so happens that's even harder to speculate on.
I know it comes from trial and error. Every car is different. There is no set "most power = best launch". Too many factors included. And I was surprised Hypnoz had so much experience that he could narrow down the optimal launch to a 1K range. At first I simply asked, but he decided to nitpick my reading comprehension for some reason.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM
wyatthanson

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
You obviously lack comprehension skills. Tell me where I said it NEEDS to be launched at that high of rpm? I laugh at the fact that you tell me to stop speculating when that is exactly what you are doing as well.
Sure,

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
12s no doubt with slicks and a 5k-6k drop.

I expect stock trap speeds 104+
You didn't use the word "need", but it's clearly implied. You didn't add a post script noting it might be done with some other variable change...
If you call my argument speculation as well, I see your point... but I'm not throwing out numbers that I think are accurate. Instead, I'm trying to filter through the BS to see what's realistic. So you're right, it is speculation to an extent. Your claim might be realistic - - only time will tell. Not sure why you are so defensive. My first post just asked WHY because that seemed like too high of a launch to me. But if you want to get defensive, go for it.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile predictions for G37 Coupe?