Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

1/4 mile predictions for G37 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 AM
wyatthanson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Considering it has the same Hp:weight ratio as the e46 M3, and very similar power delivery, I would expect the same times as that car.
Same HP/TQ, but M3 is lighter.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dxb2
I wonder why nissan waisted their time to build a new engine if its not going to perform better than the VQ35HR by much
It is going to outperform the VQ35HR. But - we're talking anywhere from a 275 to 350 pounds worth of difference. Weight is the great equalizing factor here.

I see the g37 becoming something like the GTO. Great power, but with that power comes a lot of weight to carry around.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 AM
G37Knight

When do you think the mags will be able to start testing for performance? June/July?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Dxb2

Originally Posted by G37Knight
When do you think the mags will be able to start testing for performance? June/July?
I think in June we will be able to see 0-60 figures since its only 2 month before it hits the dealers.. If the G hits 13.7 i will be very disappointed with the performance . it will be so dumb from nissan to build a new engine with extra hp and performs as the 350Z
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Your posts always seem to confuse me

Why would they need a high RPM launch in a car such as a G35? It's no 4-banger would no low-end power.

As far as gearing, its more aggresive than the current G35 & 350Z; Final drive for both auto and mt is 3.7, while the G/Z have a 3.3 for auto & 3.5 for mt.

It has nothing to do with the number of cylinders but everything to do with the engine torque and at what RPM the maximum engine torque is produced. Unless you are launching a torque monster like a C6 Z06 or a Viper or any of the MB AMG cars, you have to launch at high RPM to get the best time.

My brother has an '06 997S which we've taken to the dragstrip a few times. We were never able to match the low 12 sec 1/4s listed in magazines like Road & Track and Car & Driver. I then read where Car & Driver launched the 997 at 5K RPM to get their best time. I was launching at 3K RPM and getting 12.6 - 12.7. That's why I don't believe that 1/4 mile times listed in the magazines are all that important since not too many people are willing to abuse their cars to get their absolute best times, and 5/60 times are a far more revealing measure of a car's capability on the street.

If you look at the 0/60 and 5/60 times of cars with a lot of torque like the 400 lb/ft C6, you'll find that they are nearly identical. On the other hand you'll find that the 5/60 times are slower on cars with moderate torque outputs because they require that high RPM launch.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 AM
FAST1

I think in June we will be able to see 0-60 figures since its only 2 month before it hits the dealers.. If the G hits 13.7 i will be very disappointed with the performance . it will be so dumb from nissan to build a new engine with extra hp and performs as the 350Z
Actually up to ths point in time, Nissan looked at the Z as its best performance car, whereas the G was looked at as its luxury performance GT. Now of course this could change with the release of the G37.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

What part do you not understand? The engine outperforms the VQ35DE and the VQ35HR in every measurable area. But when the engine and drivetrain are encumbered with a few hundred pounds of extra weight, that performance delta becomes marginalized. What part of that is so hard to understand?

Let me put it this way: when the VQ37HR is put in the z, it will smoke the 350z, and even the g37.

And you keep concentrating on ET's. ET's are a measurement of traction and gearing, not power. Even if the coupe and the z had the same engine and weighed exactly the same, the z will out-ET the coupe. The g's wheelbase is 8 inches longer than the z, so the z has the launching advantage(read traction).
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM
da45king

the 3.7 was built for that tt GT-R that will be coming....Its only a matter of time before aftermarket TT kits hit the 3.7.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Dxb2

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
What part do you not understand? The engine outperforms the VQ35DE and the VQ35HR in every measurable area. But when the engine and drivetrain are encumbered with a few hundred pounds of extra weight, that performance delta becomes marginalized. What part of that is so hard to understand?

Let me put it this way: when the VQ37HR is put in the z, it will smoke the 350z, and even the g37.

And you keep concentrating on ET's. ET's are a measurement of traction and gearing, not power. Even if the coupe and the z had the same engine and weighed exactly the same, the z will out-ET the coupe. The g's wheelbase is 8 inches longer than the z, so the z has the launching advantage(read traction).
Who the hell said i didnt get what your sayin .. we all know that the g weighs more than the Z !!!! you just keep replaying and saying the weight will make a difference .. I can understand from 1 time no need to keep saying it again .. am just gonna be dissapointed if the g hits 13.7 or more ..
Old 05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by wyatthanson
Same HP/TQ, but M3 is lighter.

Sigh... same rated hp/tq, but comparing dyno charts the G37 dyno's 23whp more. The e46 M3 is more in line with the VQ35HR output. Therefore same hp:weight ratio.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by FAST1
It has nothing to do with the number of cylinders but everything to do with the engine torque and at what RPM the maximum engine torque is produced. Unless you are launching a torque monster like a C6 Z06 or a Viper or any of the MB AMG cars, you have to launch at high RPM to get the best time.

My brother has an '06 997S which we've taken to the dragstrip a few times. We were never able to match the low 12 sec 1/4s listed in magazines like Road & Track and Car & Driver. I then read where Car & Driver launched the 997 at 5K RPM to get their best time. I was launching at 3K RPM and getting 12.6 - 12.7. That's why I don't believe that 1/4 mile times listed in the magazines are all that important since not too many people are willing to abuse their cars to get their absolute best times, and 5/60 times are a far more revealing measure of a car's capability on the street.

If you look at the 0/60 and 5/60 times of cars with a lot of torque like the 400 lb/ft C6, you'll find that they are nearly identical. On the other hand you'll find that the 5/60 times are slower on cars with moderate torque outputs because they require that high RPM launch.
You lack so much knowledge and constantly post misinformation. Please stop posting about this stuff. All you are doing is confusing people.

What you aren't calculating is gearing, traction, HOW MUCH ACTUAL TORQUE instead of where you peak torque is. Where you're maximum torque rating is has little to do with what rpm you should launch at.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by muscarel
The few road tests there have been so far all have mentioned that they didn't think the G37 was quite as fast as the 335 in a straight line. The 335 does 13.5-13.6. If the G37 was a low 13 car, I think you'd be able to tell.

I would love to see low-13's but in reality my 04 was fast enough for me and that ran in the 14's, so whatever this is will be good enough as a DD.
Power delivery is completely different. The 335 will likely feel faster, and is faster at most rpms. The problem with the 335 is that the torque in the high rpm's drops off so much it kills the power. This type of power delivery is great for everyday driving, but not so favorable for racing. The G's power delivery is constantly building to redline. This will make it's power much better for racing applications. Typically cars that have awesome midrange punch feel much faster than cars that build power to redline.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by G37Knight
Automobile magazine that brought us the dyno info must have brought the car for testing after that. I'm hoping they'll have numbers first in the next month or so.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
muscarel

You lack so much knowledge and constantly post misinformation. Please stop posting about this stuff. All you are doing is confusing people.

What you aren't calculating is gearing, traction, HOW MUCH ACTUAL TORQUE instead of where you peak torque is. Where you're maximum torque rating is has little to do with what rpm you should launch at.

Assuming traction is no issue, I'm pretty sure all cars would run a faster time at higher rpms (higher horsepower).

I like looking at 5-60 times as well. I think they are a good gauge of what you experience on the street. High powered AWD cars sometimes have very low ET's but crappy 5-60 times. Obviously, the car runs what the car runs - but for street performance I'd rather have a car with a high flat torque curve than a one with a similar curve to an s2000.

That being said, I think the G37 (similar to the HR sedan) will have the best of both worlds. Good low end torque (relative) while also spinning to 7500 rpm.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
muscarel

Power delivery is completely different. The 335 will likely feel faster, and is faster at most rpms. The problem with the 335 is that the torque in the high rpm's drops off so much it kills the power. This type of power delivery is great for everyday driving, but not so favorable for racing. The G's power delivery is constantly building to redline. This will make it's power much better for racing applications. Typically cars that have awesome midrange punch feel much faster than cars that build power to redline.
I agree with all of your statements.....but I did a little spreadsheet to see how long the G's advantage lasts (higher rpm HP), and it still looks like the 335 will have the advantage overall. The G37 doesn't really make more power until 6,000 rpm. So, in 1st gear the G's advantage is only for the last 8 mph or so. It gets better as you shift through the gears, but the 335 is still making more power most of the time. Remember, even though torque drops off in higher rpms on the 335, it also starts off with more, so that takes "some" of the bite away when comparing to the G37.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile predictions for G37 Coupe?