G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SOUND OFF: Did Infiniti Play It Too Safe On The New G37?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM
bostonmerlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOUND OFF: Did Infiniti Play It Too Safe On The New G37?

This quote by autospies is nothing new to those on the forum who debate this issue daily.. none the less....

After looking at the before and after shots of the new G37, we are left wondering just why the refresh is so subtle. With an admittedly stale line up, one might expect that they would reach out with a far more edgy design with the G37 when compared to the G35.

But to us the new G37 just seems like a very mild rendition of the same old theme bordering too far on the safe side.

Did Infiniti push the envelope enough? Or are they still in need of a major makeover?

ref link:
http://www.autospies.com/news/SOUND-...New-G37-15533/

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 05-25-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
NXT

I think Infinit did a great job. Surely the concept was alot better but i never thought the final production of the car was gonna look exaclty identical. There are a few, but most concept models never turn out the way in it's final process.

I like it, because it's like a reborn of the former, to me the g37 looks better and it's a evolved version of the g35. I already think the current g is one of the best looking cars out there today. But also one of my friend thought the g35 looked better until i showed these exact pics and he changed his mind. Lol.

There's a saying, change is not always good but for Infinit terms, I believe they did play it safe but with a good choice. Not all changes are good for example the new sti. Luv subys but why? Maybe for me it's cuz it turned hatch. However the new evoX does look nice though. I think Mitsubishi did a job well done on that.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
N50

I think they took an already great design and made it better, which was a really hard thing to do. Plus going the 3er route or Porsche route and refraining from reinventing the wheel is going to be very good for infiniti in the long run. It'll help create family cohesiveness and brand identity.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I think they took a great car and made it better. They did an amazing job of evolving the G Coupe and taking it to the next level.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Mr_Ryte

Maybe if Infiniti didn't show the ultra-sexy Coupe Concept first then the new G37 Coupe wouldn't have been such a styling letdown. Like so many others, I was estatic about the Coupe Concept and so upset to see the finally product. But showing it in colors other than dull grey will do the G37 a ton of good.

On a side note: It's a shame that some of the people in that thread have to digress to idiocy once they come across an opinion different from their own. Example:
Quote:
BigShow50 - 5/24/2007 1026 PM
-1 Boost

LMAO!!!....Hey FanBoy3000 thanks for the spelling B-101, greatly appreciated. But it just so happens that both these car companies I have least favour of...so as for spelling it doesn't matter to me at all. But thanks anyways. As for a car guy? For sure I am!!! Besides all this...how is your wife and my kids?

reply to this comment

FanBoy3000 - 5/25/2007 252 AM
+3 Boost

Buddy, stop trying to peg it on ME because she left YOUR hairy back, beer belly, underbite jaw, cross-eyed, wart ridden, inbred ***.

How's the wrestling career going? You made it past your parents' backyard yet?
Sad to say, there are some people that shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
ElixXxeR

"Stale line-up"? As compared to what? Whoever wrote that is an idiot.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Sukairain

I think they should lower the G37 3 inches, cut another 2 inches off the roof, make it 6 inches wider, 10 inches shorter, 19" front 20" rear rims, put a 420hp V8, add the option for a targa top - now that would be great. I am sure most if not everyone will absolutely love it...... but nobody will shell out the bills to buy it.

I think Infiniti is doing a great job in terms of product lineup and new product planning and execution.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
N50

Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
"Stale line-up"? As compared to what? Whoever wrote that is an idiot.
Compared to Audi, BMW, and MB who have cars in nearly every segment...I guess. I agree though, I don't think that the lineup is stale. In fact this past year and in the near future are exciting times.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:06 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by Sukairain
I think they should lower the G37 3 inches, cut another 2 inches off the roof, make it 6 inches wider, 10 inches shorter, 19" front 20" rear rims, put a 420hp V8, add the option for a targa top - now that would be great. I am sure most if not everyone will absolutely love it...... but nobody will shell out the bills to buy it.

I think Infiniti is doing a great job in terms of product lineup and new product planning and execution.
you're mixing the G37 up with a corvette.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 PM
ElixXxeR

Originally Posted by N50
Compared to Audi, BMW, and MB who have cars in nearly every segment...I guess. I agree though, I don't think that the lineup is stale. In fact this past year and in the near future are exciting times.
Clearly, the "stale" comment was regarding styling, not the variety of models offered. The FX is the most dynamically sculpted SUV on the market, the G is offered as a sexy coupe and a handsome sedan, and the M is up there with the best of 'em (my favorite in the class, acutally). Calling Infiniti styling "stale" is like calling Toyota's styling exciting.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
N50

Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
Clearly, the "stale" comment was regarding styling, not the variety of models offered. The FX is the most dynamically sculpted SUV on the market, the G is offered as a sexy coupe and a handsome sedan, and the M is up there with the best of 'em (my favorite in the class, acutally). Calling Infiniti styling "stale" is like calling Toyota's styling exciting.
My bad. I didn't actually read his comment. Last time I heard the term "stale" used to describe a car company, it was used to describe a lineup with few choices, few exciting models, and/or no new models in a year or two.

In this case, I definitely don't believe Infiniti is "stale" in terms of styling.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 PM
gary c

Nissan/Infiniti design...........

I would hardly call the design stale but had they stayed with the design of
the concept reaction would have been 70% better with the G37! Just the
interior on the concept was light years ahead of everyone else. I can't
imagine why they backed off and didn't use the concept drawing we all
loved.........Nissan are you listening?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:29 PM
DropTopGal

I think Infiniti did a great job. Good enough for me to change my mind on a Bimmer. The G37 offers a lot for the buck and looks sharp doing so.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 PM
tekknikal

they did good.
to be honest, if they never showed that prototype, no one would have complained about the new car.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:40 PM
bostonmerlin

I loved my 2003 g coupe.. was proud to see one on the road, was proud when i decided to buy it (over the new 350z at the time) and i was proud to drive it every day. If my 2003 g coupe would have looked like the new g37 i would have felt no different... it's a beautiful car with a lot of power at a price point i can afford. If i still owned my g35 i'd stick with it until my payments were up and maybe move on to the g37 or whatever else had the "edge" in that segment. It's a hard call for many who currently own g35s.. there's no reason to upgrade unless you just want to have the latest and greatest. For me.. it's like buying my 2003 g coupe all over again. I'm happy with the improvements.. but i have to say.. if the g37 didnt have the interior upgrades it does.. i wouldnt buy it..

I agree with others who dont agree with the "stale" remark. infiniti.. such as the FX definately have the edge in the styling dept.

.. I too loved the concept.. hated the track pictures in arizona.. but fell back in love with the G37 at NYIAS.

bm

Last edited by bostonmerlin; 05-25-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: SOUND OFF: Did Infiniti Play It Too Safe On The New G37?