Sponsored By:

G37 Dyno Up on Automobilemag.com 50+ HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:34 PM
OCG35
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1
The performance of any car is dependent upon its torque power band range, its weight, and its gearing. If the weight of the G37 and 335 are similar and if the two cars are geared the same, the torque graphs that are presented would indicate that the 335 would pull on the G until about 6K RPM at which time the G would have the edge until red line. Based on the graphs I would expect that the 335 would have an edge, but not by more than a couple of tenths in the 1/4. In other words no big deal, and certainly close enough where the skill of the driver would determine the winner in the 1/4.

Lots of people are in love with the appearance of the 3 series, but to me they look kind of bland. So I would have to say the G has the edge in the looks department. Based on history, the 335 will probably outhandle the G, but of course the G will sticker for at least $5K less than the 335.

So all in all when everything thing is considered you have two cars that are about evenly matched and you can't go wrong with either selection.
A couple of tenths in 1/4 mile is A LOT!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:37 PM
ElixXxeR

Originally Posted by OCG35
A couple of tenths in 1/4 mile is A LOT!!!
Do you track your car? If not, no it isn't.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:37 PM
OCG35
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
Do you track your car? If not, no it isn't.
yes I track my car and yes 2 tenths in a 1/4 mile is very significant.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Depends on what part of acceleration you are talking about. Through the 1/4 mile, the 335 will likely win. The G37 may pull on a 335 if you are accelerating on a roll from high speeds.

Peak hp and torque isn't an accurate predictor of which car is faster. You need to compare the area under the power curve. Up to about 6000 RPM, the BMW has significantly more hp and torque under the curve than the G37.

With respect to turbos wearing out, the Procede doesn't significantly increase the max boost pressure. It optimizes air-fuel ratios, timing, etc. which results in more efficient engine running (it actually improves power and mileage). The additional wear on the turbos is negligible as long as the owner of the car properly maintains it. What typically kills turbochargers are things like not using synthetic oil and not changing it at regular intervals, not allowing the turbos to cool down after extended on-boost conditions, etc.
The point is this:
1. It does raise boost.
2. It runs less safely than the stock Air : Fuel.
3. Twin turbo setups are the most unreliable setups historically.

Now as far as which will win stock to stock in the 1/4 mile... IMO they will be within .1 of each other. Look at the 335's power. If you shift at redline you will be right at peak hp but then it fades off from there. In the G you shift and you are not at peak hp, but you will build up to it again (better for acceleration).

The 335 surely has more power in around town driving, which is a big plus for it.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by FAST1
The performance of any car is dependent upon its torque power band range, its weight, and its gearing. If the weight of the G37 and 335 are similar and if the two cars are geared the same, the torque graphs that are presented would indicate that the 335 would pull on the G until about 6K RPM at which time the G would have the edge until red line. Based on the graphs I would expect that the 335 would have an edge, but not by more than a couple of tenths in the 1/4. In other words no big deal, and certainly close enough where the skill of the driver would determine the winner in the 1/4.

Lots of people are in love with the appearance of the 3 series, but to me they look kind of bland. So I would have to say the G has the edge in the looks department. Based on history, the 335 will probably outhandle the G, but of course the G will sticker for at least $5K less than the 335.

So all in all when everything thing is considered you have two cars that are about evenly matched and you can't go wrong with either selection.
I agree except the G will have better handling with the sport package. There would be no point to look historically at the handling of each vehicle when you can look at the present comparisons between the two. The G will likely outhandling the 335, but not be as good of a handling/comfort balance.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 PM
MaximaPower

remember, this G37 prolly wasn't even broken in
Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
ElixXxeR

Originally Posted by OCG35
yes I track my car and yes 2 tenths in a 1/4 mile is very significant.
You should get a better track car than an auto sedan. And I guess it's fine if 2/10 of a second is worth $10k to you.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

You should get a better track car than an auto sedan. And I guess it's fine if 2/10 of a second is worth $10k to you.
Get a different car? Really? You think?
I've had about 200 pulls in my sedan. Guess I should be pissed that nobody told me to get a different car.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

A few people are dismissing the so-called bragging rights of having a car that is a couple of tenths faster. For those, go back 5 years.

When the G35 was introduced(in sedan form), it undercut the price of its german rivals by a significant margin. It wasn't as nice as the Audi, Merc, or BMW. But it was a more serious sports sedan than either the Audi A4 or the Merc Cxxx. It certainly wasn't as sporty as the BMW 330, but it also had gobs of power.

The same held true for the japanese cars in the segment. It was a more serious sports sedan than either the TL or the IS, but it wasn't anywhere nearly as nice. When the coupe followed a few months later, it was hindered by the same liabilities.

The two main factors in the success of the first gen cars were the combination of price and power.

Fast forward to today. For the sedan, it doesn't compete well with the IS350 or the 335. It's certainly cheaper, the half of the value proposition is now gone.

The same thing applies to the g37 coupe. If it doesn't have a significant advantage in power/speed of the 335, being a coupe grand less isn't going to translate into sales as well as the first generation.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
skaterbasist

1) Wherever the "$10k", either way, performance isnt everything in a car.

2) His auto sedan will walk your G, unless your forced induction or equally modified.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 05-20-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 PM
paranormal

a few things you may want to consider

1.) g37 has viscous LSD = off the line better
2.) g37 is na and makes the same area power as a TT v6
3.) g37 will go for about 10k less then a equally equiped 335

aftermarket has not even hit on these cars yet. who knows what kind of power bolt ons will make with this new engine.. nobody!

for all we know it could be detuned..and way restrictive...

last but not least.. this may not be everyones option but think of the possibilities with FORCED INDUCTION ON THIS MOTOR!!!!!!!!

its already at 335i level... a simple $4k supercharger kit would make this car INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

its got twin intakes that are just screaming for some forcefed air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by paranormal; 05-20-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
frshgcoupe

^ this should have been posted way long ago for everyone to look at, enough said
Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM
OCG35
Premier Member

Wow, you are way out of touch my friend.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 PM
OCG35
Premier Member

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
A few people are dismissing the so-called bragging rights of having a car that is a couple of tenths faster. For those, go back 5 years.

When the G35 was introduced(in sedan form), it undercut the price of its german rivals by a significant margin. It wasn't as nice as the Audi, Merc, or BMW. But it was a more serious sports sedan than either the Audi A4 or the Merc Cxxx. It certainly wasn't as sporty as the BMW 330, but it also had gobs of power.

The same held true for the japanese cars in the segment. It was a more serious sports sedan than either the TL or the IS, but it wasn't anywhere nearly as nice. When the coupe followed a few months later, it was hindered by the same liabilities.

The two main factors in the success of the first gen cars were the combination of price and power.

Fast forward to today. For the sedan, it doesn't compete well with the IS350 or the 335. It's certainly cheaper, the half of the value proposition is now gone.

The same thing applies to the g37 coupe. If it doesn't have a significant advantage in power/speed of the 335, being a coupe grand less isn't going to translate into sales as well as the first generation.
You are exactly right Trey... Nissan needs to put out a turbod car to compete... I will be very surprised if that doesn't happen to the 3.7VQHR in the Infiniti line.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 PM
OCG35
Premier Member

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
1) Wherever the "$10k", either way, performance isnt everything in a car.

2) His auto sedan will walk your G, unless your forced induction or equally modified.

some people talk from ignorance Henry... he clearly isn't the enthusiast that would normally be interested in the topic of this thread. He should show up to Irwindale Thurs and see the sedans that apparently have no business on the track

Quick Reply: G37 Dyno Up on Automobilemag.com 50+ HP