Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Dyno Up on Automobilemag.com 50+ HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:20 AM
MaximaPower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Who said the 335 makes more power to the wheels?

Check out the Dyno comparison between the G37 & 335i. The G37 makes more power to the wheels, which should be no surpriced with its 330hp engine.

Here's the graph: Cant wait to see these two in action

sorry...meant to say tq.

G does have more topend power but look at the area under the curve....btw, i'm not hating on the G37 since it will most likely be my next car
Old 05-20-2007, 02:53 AM
OCG35
Premier Member

everyone is referencing a car (G37) that has no "street" prowess"... Everything is based on marketing hype.

I know you guys/gals are smarter than this... why is there so much chatter before anyone has tested this car?...
Old 05-20-2007, 03:00 AM
OCG35
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
I'll comment on the laughy at that above - since finding the original post will take longer than LA traffic.... oh BTW - that’s why we need to be faster.

Have you ever needed to boost in front of the yahoo in front of you?... but you don’ t have the "boost" (as in FI)... if not - either you are the yahoo or you live were it doesn’t matter (where yahoos are born).

I hate to seem like an @ss... But we have performance cars to drive "spirited"... legally and safely... and owners that just don’t get it - well, they just don’t get it... the answer to "their" question is: "drive an M45" - it's a very nice car
Old 05-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Sukairain

I wonder what would have happened if Nissan put turbo on the VQ37HR........ Oh that's right, the GT-R will have that - 450-500hp out of the box.

Then again the engine in the GT-R might not fit into the G35/G37 since report from the track seems to indicate the GT-R runs on a 'Premium Midship' platform and not the usual 'Front Midship.'
Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 AM
OCG35
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sukairain
I wonder what would have happened if Nissan put turbo on the VQ37HR........ Oh that's right, the GT-R will have that - 450-500hp out of the box.

Then again the engine in the GT-R might not fit into the G35/G37 since report from the track seems to indicate the GT-R runs on a 'Premium Midship' platform and not the usual 'Front Midship.'
eghhemm...
Originally Posted by OCG35
09 G37ST coupe... 2nd yr car, 2nd yr motor... finally enough trq to compete!

Sorry (my) 04.5 sedan - your days are ending soon
Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 AM
ElixXxeR

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Just a question........why is so many people so concerned with whether the G37 is faster than the 335i or vice versa? If one is a tenth or two quicker than the other, who really cares? And before all of you jump on my @ss, I know that there are a few that take their car to the track on a regular basis and I guess I can see the point in that case. BUT, the amount of people that track their car here is so minimal that I can only come to the conclusion that people want the faster car merely for bragging rights. Am I off base here? Maybe it's just me, but I buy a car that stirs my soul, and I couldn't care less if it may or may not be a tad slower than it's competitor.

Anyways, I'm just rambling.......don't mind me.
You are spot on. Internet forums are full of magazine racers that will choose one car over another based on a completely insignificant performance figure...."ZOMG the 335i is 1/10 of a second faster in the 1/4 mile WHAHFVKV!" It's about how the car makes you feel. Considering how good the 2007 G35 sedan is, the G37 should be bitchin', especially for the price when compared to the 335i.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Techuinang

I find it funny hearing people mention the advantage of the 335i's turbos. Even though it's true it will be much easier to get more power out of the car, it is also much easier to have something break. It is a little irresponsible to put this much $$$ into a car and start modding it right away which will undoubtly void the warranty and shorten the engine's life. From a former owner of a BMW 325i, you want their warranty as long as you can. I have twin turbos stock in my current car and I still haven't cranked up my boost and it's been more then 10 years of ownership. I have been tempted many times to just buy a boost controler, but then I realize how good my engine has been to me all these years.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 AM
BadBoy06

Originally Posted by LightningRod
Impressive. If only the car looked as sexy as the flat torque curve ...

ya, no kidding
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Just a question........why is so many people so concerned with whether the G37 is faster than the 335i or vice versa? If one is a tenth or two quicker than the other, who really cares? And before all of you jump on my @ss, I know that there are a few that take their car to the track on a regular basis and I guess I can see the point in that case. BUT, the amount of people that track their car here is so minimal that I can only come to the conclusion that people want the faster car merely for bragging rights. Am I off base here? Maybe it's just me, but I buy a car that stirs my soul, and I couldn't care less if it may or may not be a tad slower than it's competitor.

Anyways, I'm just rambling.......don't mind me.
I agree the most important factor is something that stirs your soul. As I've said on here before buying a car is an emotional experience, especially for an enthusiast. This preference is then justified with logic.

I look at the total package. Power and performance do matter as well as the handling, looks, NVH, fit finish materials quality, features, brand prestige etc. Everyone places a different emphasis or priority on these with their buying decision. In todays cars the edge in some of these areas is measured in small increments and others are strictly subjective so for some people a little bit in the quantitative areas matters. I don't think you have to track your car to necessarily notice this in the power department. At many tracks power is really less important than braking and handling and overall chassis dynamics. Streetable power is mostly about torque which the BMW definitely has an advantage. That said, IMHO in the looks department the G37 definitely has a big edge. We'll have to drive and see both of these babies together to best determine the differences.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:37 AM
xx7sephiroth7xx
Registered Member

amazing indeed.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 PM
GoofyG

I think, regardless of how it compares to the BMW (since I despise the interior of the BMW and have had bad luck with repairs in the past ), I think the curve look very intriguing for the G37.

All I know is I think it will have enough performance to put a smile on my face. and after all, isn't that what is all about!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i still cant see where the g37 is outpowering the 335i g37 has more hp by 12 hp.. but the 335i hase 63 more torque.. 63 to 12 is a big diffrence i think the 335i is more powerfull acoording to the graph..
Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM
FAST1

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
i still cant see where the g37 is outpowering the 335i g37 has more hp by 12 hp.. but the 335i hase 63 more torque.. 63 to 12 is a big diffrence i think the 335i is more powerfull acoording to the graph..
The performance of any car is dependent upon its torque power band range, its weight, and its gearing. If the weight of the G37 and 335 are similar and if the two cars are geared the same, the torque graphs that are presented would indicate that the 335 would pull on the G until about 6K RPM at which time the G would have the edge until red line. Based on the graphs I would expect that the 335 would have an edge, but not by more than a couple of tenths in the 1/4. In other words no big deal, and certainly close enough where the skill of the driver would determine the winner in the 1/4.

Lots of people are in love with the appearance of the 3 series, but to me they look kind of bland. So I would have to say the G has the edge in the looks department. Based on history, the 335 will probably outhandle the G, but of course the G will sticker for at least $5K less than the 335.

So all in all when everything thing is considered you have two cars that are about evenly matched and you can't go wrong with either selection.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:08 PM
mantisG35

Originally Posted by OCG35
everyone is referencing a car (G37) that has no "street" prowess"... Everything is based on marketing hype.

I know you guys/gals are smarter than this... why is there so much chatter before anyone has tested this car?...
i mean what else do you want us to do? Infiniti treated G37 with complete secrecy and until now none has given specific numbers as to acceleration, etc. our guess (supported by weight numbers, and numbers from 335) is the car is slow as heck
sorry i just think it's funny so i used it
Old 05-20-2007, 02:11 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
exactlyy good response fastt.. i 100 percent agree..

Quick Reply: G37 Dyno Up on Automobilemag.com 50+ HP