Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Dyno Up on Automobilemag.com 50+ HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Lip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
And that's your opinion. The interior on the e90/e92 is cold, ugly, and poorly executed. I mean, who the hell designed those cup holders? You may feel the materials are better in the BMW (again, I would disagree), but the layout of the new G35 interior is cleaner and more intuitive. No need to mention iDrive is a joke.
True it is my opinion. My thinking is that Bimmer costs quite a bit more than the G anyways. And it's pretty easy to see where the money went. Even if you don't like the design, I don't like the X5 style door handles, and certain aspects of the interior, it's very difficult not to notice the difference in something so simple as leather quality. Hell even the window switches glide through their range of movement in a more positive and fluid fashion.

In an attempt to quantify-
I like the instrumentation, the quality of the leather and plastics used through-out the cabin. The seats fit me better and offer more adjustment.
They use higher quality rubber and more of it around the doors.
The clutch take-up and shifter feel smoother to me. Again, it is what it is and I think you'd have a hard time finding an area in the interior where Infiniti spent more money.

That being said, now from a function perspective, the G is just fine. I don't drive down the street stroking the dash either. Hence, I purchased the G. :beer:

Last edited by Lip; 05-21-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
trey.hutcheson
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
Agreed. But, I think that even in the total population of G35 owners, maybe as much as 50% have ever changed 1 thing about their car. Obviously here on this board I think there are a ton of modders, from simple to major changes. I am not saying I don't like mods, some of the cars here in the photo section are great looking cars.

But I am speaking in general, as much as people love driving fast, the majority are not likely to be "focused enthusiasts" who want to gain a few tenths, max the apex on corners driving to work, or chase down that german car ahead of them to prove a point. Most of us posting here probably will do at least 2 of the 3, but I again I am speaking in very general terms about the total population of drivers/G owners.
I agree that the typical consumer, and not the enthusiast, is the core market. However, the enthusiast segment is where the margins lie. BMW openly embraces it's enthusiast customers: the m3 has almost always been available in sedan form; the 3 series sedan was available with the same ZHP trim as the coupe; BMW has it's own targeted owner's drivers events.

BMW has been on top for decades exactly because it caters to the enthusiasts. Hell, it defined the segment. If the cars were not so well balanced, BMW wouldn't have been able to cultivate the cache of brand loyalty it presently enjoys.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Lip

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I agree that the typical consumer, and not the enthusiast, is the core market. However, the enthusiast segment is where the margins lie. BMW openly embraces it's enthusiast customers: the m3 has almost always been available in sedan form; the 3 series sedan was available with the same ZHP trim as the coupe; BMW has it's own targeted owner's drivers events.

BMW has been on top for decades exactly because it caters to the enthusiasts. Hell, it defined the segment. If the cars were not so well balanced, BMW wouldn't have been able to cultivate the cache of brand loyalty it presently enjoys.
Well stated.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:50 PM
GT-Ron

I understand the difference in the new SAE ratings, but I think we may very well be seeing some of the benefits of the "revised, lightweight" 6MT.

I'd like to see an AT on the dyno so we know how much is the motor and how much is in the trans.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
bostonmerlin

dyno results are being talked about now...

Impressive dyno results for Infiniti’s new 3.7L V6

It’s been well documented that BMW’s new twin-turbo inline six from the 335i produces significantly more power than its official 302hp rating suggests. We reported earlier about a test of a brand new 335i Coupe on a dyno, which resulted in outputs from the motor ranging from 282 to 300hp at the wheels. Estimating drive-train loss of roughly 15-20%, this equates to roughly 350 to 375hp at the flywheel. The publication that ran the earlier tests on the BMW, Automobile Magazine, has now run Infiniti’s new G37 Coupe on the dyno and achieved some exciting results for the 3.7L V6.
The new motor debut’s Nissan’s VVEL technology, which uses infinitely variable valve timing adjustment, similar to BMW’s Valvetronic system. The official ratings stand at 330hp and 270lb-ft of torque, although Infiniti is yet to release finalized peak output ratings. Tests on the dyno reveal that the new VQ37 produces 22% more power than the smaller VQ35 from the previous G35 but is only 5.6% larger in displacement.
The dyno charts also reveal that the new 3.7L unit produces a flat torque curve from 2,000rpm all the way until 5,000rpm and is still producing 85% of its peak torque at redline. The engine is also rated at having just 37hp more than the previous 3.5L motor but developed 51 more horses on the dyno. Taking into account driveline losses of 20-25%, we’re looking at a flywheel figure of around 365hp. Bravo Infiniti.
link: http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/i...initis-new-v6/
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
You obviously haven't dealt with TT setups before. BMW reliability has always been worse than infiniti. The oil consumption issue is the largest issue nissan has had to deal with in some time.

Why would you make an assumption that they redesign the VQ to get rid of the oil consumption issue? That is just stupid. They have to redesign it due to COMPETITION. Nothing more.

This isn't a torque vs hp debate. Look at the hp curve of the G37. When you shift the g37 it will be at the 335's peak hp and raise from there. When you shift the 335, it will be at it's peak hp and drop from there. Around town the 335 will be/feel faster, I don't argue that though.
It is not just "stupid". What's up with the defensive name calling? Did you read my post? I said part of the reason. I didn't say the whole reason, and I never said they weren't trying to compete. You're going to honestly sit there and tell me that it didn't go through nissan corporates mind that they could knock out the flaws of the engine.. while making a revision? Think it about it man.

I know you love the car, but take time out to breathe.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
wyatthanson

Why do they say the BMW has a driveline loss of 15-20% and the Infiniti has 20-25%.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:06 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
Nobody had responded to my question about the Ram Air technology in the new G37. Would this not affect power ratings when moving compared to the dyno?
yes you will likely get a few extra hp out of it- but only a few
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Initial G

Wow, how accurate is their drivetrain assertion?

Turbos will run slow in the summer. The G37 would have an edge. But in the colder months, the 335i will pull VERY hard.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 PM
wyatthanson

All cars are slower in hot weather and high altitudes.

Actually, the 335i will shine compared to the G in high altitudes regardless of weather.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
Agreed.

Think of it:VVEL, 11:1 CR, and dual intakes with a pseudo-ram air effect--other than the aforementioned direct injection, what else can Nissan/Infiniti do to get more out of the VQ and STILL keep it reliable? I don't see how aftermarket companies will be able to squeeze any worthwhile gains out of it; at least not without major $$$$$.
Direct injection seems to be the last step, then it appears to be near the limit other than going with lighterweight parts, etc.

I think they should go DI, then turbo. That way they start with one of the best V6's in the world and go FI from there. Great way to go IMO.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 PM
AlterZgo

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
The point is this:
1. It does raise boost.
2. It runs less safely than the stock Air : Fuel.
3. Twin turbo setups are the most unreliable setups historically.
Curiously, the Vishnu Xede/Procede on a 335i actually runs a richer A/F ratio. Here's the link to their initial tuning where they mention they are making substantially more power while running a richer than stock A/F ratio:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30027

As for twin turbo setups being unreliable, I would say they are probably less reliable than single turbo set ups (increase the number of turbos and associated plumbing = more things that can go wrong). However, with that said, parallel twin turbo setups, such as implemented on the 335i, are reliable. I ran my modded twin turbo 300ZX very hard for over 60K miles on larger turbos, injectors, dual intakes, etc. without the slightest hint of any engine problems. This included extended high boost running for long, sustained periods.

You get into reliability issues with stuff like the Mazda RX7's twin sequential turbochargers or cars like the Shelby CST? with the variable vane turbos and such which add more complexity to the system.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 AM
FlameOn
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
True but the G37's seats don't really make it easy to hold a can of beer between your legs!
And you shouldn't even have a can of beer while driving. Stupid.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by ghost30
It is not just "stupid". What's up with the defensive name calling? Did you read my post? I said part of the reason. I didn't say the whole reason, and I never said they weren't trying to compete. You're going to honestly sit there and tell me that it didn't go through nissan corporates mind that they could knock out the flaws of the engine.. while making a revision? Think it about it man.

I know you love the car, but take time out to breathe.
I think we have a misunderstanding. I was not calling you stupid. I interpretted what you said as to mean "They redesigned the engine because of the oil consumption issue."

Obviously fixing issues from previous engines is always part of the new designs.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by Initial G
Wow, how accurate is their drivetrain assertion?

Turbos will run slow in the summer. The G37 would have an edge. But in the colder months, the 335i will pull VERY hard.
Actually you have it backwards. Turbo engines run better in the summer and in higher altitudes than their N/A counterparts.

Quick Reply: G37 Dyno Up on Automobilemag.com 50+ HP