Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First Model Year Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 AM
DropTopGal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Model Year Concerns

For those who plan on purchasing a G37, how concerned are you about getting a first year release?

Yes, I've heard "that is what a warranty is for", but still...who wants to run to the dealer often?

My thought... The G37 is simply an improved upon G35. The engine is from a well proven series, even though it has the new VVEL. The transmission is essentially the same, but revised. The electronics are also proven with past G35 or other Infiniti models. As for the body and interior, well, that also has been improved upon. I have a feeling that there will be minimal if any major problems with the new G37. Lessons from the G35 have been learned and applied to the G37. The G37 launch is not a band new model as the G35 was back in 2003 nor is it a major change, like the TT in the 335i.

Your thoughts?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 AM
FAST1

Many years ago there use to be lots of problems with new model introductions, but quality has improved so much that I wouldn't worry. As a matter of fact cars that experienced the most problems in 2006 would have been at the top of the quality list ten years earlier. Moreover, as you rightly observe, the G37 is an evolution and not something entirely new.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DropTopGal
For those who plan on purchasing a G37, how concerned are you about getting a first year release?

Yes, I've heard "that is what a warranty is for", but still...who wants to run to the dealer often?

My thought... The G37 is simply an improved upon G35. The engine is from a well proven series, even though it has the new VVEL. The transmission is essentially the same, but revised. The electronics are also proven with past G35 or other Infiniti models. As for the body and interior, well, that also has been improved upon. I have a feeling that there will be minimal if any major problems with the new G37. Lessons from the G35 have been learned and applied to the G37. The G37 launch is not a band new model as the G35 was back in 2003 nor is it a major change, like the TT in the 335i.

Your thoughts?
I wouldn't worry whatsoever. I have had a couple of very minor issues (non-mechanical) with my 07 Sedan, but certainly nothing to be concerned about. The good thing is that all the gadgets in the the G37 are not a first year release. Since the G37 will have the same options as the 07 Sedan, Infiniti has had the better part of a year to work out any gremlins. I wouldn't think twice about getting the G37 if I were you.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 AM
G-WannaBe

Hey Dr Tp Gl

I saw you get hammered over @ the bimmerforums a few weeks back, but then again they hammer everyone, even each other! I guess when they ar enot out beating their cars, they are inside slamming on keyboards in cyberspace.

I have no worries about buying into the new G, many more over the new 335, and my only other choice now a very distant 3rd place was the TL type S. The '03s and '04s have seemed to have the majority of issues from what I have read. Not saying I know everything, and I am sure 05, 06, and maybe even 07 coupes are still having some issues, but I think for my money this is 1 car I would buy this model year without hesitation. While there is 1 major component almost brand new here, the revised VVEL, I am not as concerned as if these were TT's being introduced into this model, as we have seen in other model cars. (I think the longer term effects of TTs are real unknown)

I am leaning big time for a new red 37, good luck whatever you buy.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM
bostonmerlin

i would add that even if there were problems with the g37 you may never see them. My 03/04 coupe never had any of the problems others with the same car were having... streaks on windows, paint peeling off, squeaky seats etc.. so even if the new g shows a few growing pains you may not be effected.
bm
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

First year models never bothered me because I have had little issues with them in the past and certainly no more than any other car I have owned. I've been fortunate with my purchases ranging from Japan to American to British to German and they have alll been reliable. The worst was a 1984 Corvette that needed it's transmission replaced(bad casting with a big hole) within the first day I drove it off the lot!
The GC won't be a daily driver for me, so if it gets laid-up no big deal.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM
kroams

I would expect extra rattles the first year that get addressed the second year but nothing too major. Looking at Infiniti's history there might be a 2008.5 G37 with minor fixes like the 2003.5 G35 sedan.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 AM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by filanj
I'd expect to run into the same amount of problems as previous lines. I've been very disappointed in Infiniti with the number of problems I've had with my car. My EX-dealership basically told me to go F myself over my synchro's blowing. Now I have to find another dealer and possibly sue the **** out of the other.
It has been repeatedly said in the world of new cars that the key to happiness with a new car purchase is your dealer. A good dealer will make your car right and make the distributor pay for the warranty work. A bad dealer will make your life miserable.

With an Infiniti you are greatly improving the odds of getting a car with no manufacturing defects over most German or American makes. But, if you get that car that needs warranty attention, a good dealer will make your ownership experience and a bad dealer will break your ownership experience.

Check out your dealer more than your car.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Not really too concerned. The G37 has most of what is on the G35 sedan, so any major problems that were in the sedan were probably fixed before they made it to the G37. Infiniti has a pretty good history of making good cars the first year, the M35/45 first year models had no problems and was on consumer reports list of most reliable cars. Like others have said, the G37 is not a brand new model, it is a remake of the G35.

The way I look at it, life is too short to sit around and wait for a carmaker to fix minor problems. No car will be 100% perfect, no matter what model year you get.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
I wouldnt be too concerned, although there are already people with 07 sedans getting rattles.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Potty_Pants

buy the G37 and fear not !

I would have no worries or concerns over the infiniti line ATT (at this time)

Infiniti makes a good product IMO better then most others.

when you compare it to BMW with their fuel pump problems, electronic oil guage problems, oil temp problems. Infiniti smells like roses... so if you get the car and it has a few bugs they will get fixed... rattles well they will do their best but you may be stuck with them.

ppp
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought my 03 as soon as it came out and I had a bunch of very minor issues but the stearlership fixed everything with no flack. I would not worry about it if you really want a G37.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i was thinking about this as well, but the 07 Sedan can almost be seen as the "first model year" as this is only an improvement on that. i think they will fix all TSBs and issues with the sedan and apply them to the coupe. it'll still have some bugs, i'm sure, but it'll be liveable.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Sukairain

I bought my G Coupe back in 2002 when it first came out. No problems with the exeption of the window motors worn out a couple of times. Other than that zip nada. Can't say the same about the family BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Mazdas though.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM
DropTopGal

Thanks for your feedback guys. Reading your feedback, particularly of G35 owners instills confidence in the purchase. If time and weather permits, Infiniti dealership in 2 hours to place an order.

You know, once we all get our G37s, we'll have to contribute and support the bandwidth of this site (join) and post pics of owners and their new Gs. It would be neat to put the faces with the post.

Quick Reply: First Model Year Concerns