Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pre-order questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Comatose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-order questions

Hey guys, I've been following the G since the day the first gen came out, and im finally in the market for a new car. I'm leaning heavily towards the 2008 G37, however, I've never pre-ordered a car that hasn't been released yet, let alone its actual MSRP to be known. In regards to pre-orders, I have a few questions im hoping someone can help me with:

- For those that have pre-orders in place, is there an agreement that you will simply pay MSRP?
- If not, what kind of room for negotiation was there? Is negotiation done prior to the pre-order committment, or is there an expected negotiating phase once the msrp is finally announced? I know this is a brand new model and there may not be any room for negotiation, but any confirmation would be great!
- The dealer im seeing is asking for a $2000 non-refundable deposit.. is this reasonable? (The fact that its non-refundable in my mind pretty much gives the dealer the ability to simply not negotiate beyond the MSRP) ...

thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:16 PM
WShade

Always remember that the deposit is refundable. When I ordered my car the dealer asked for a $1K refundable deposit and never hinted otherwise. Honestly, we did not discuss price until the vehicle arrived 5.5 months later and I ending up getting a VPP deal.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats a vpp deal?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:09 PM
WShade

http://www.insidenissan.com/vpp/vendor/index.html

Check the subtitles on left for details. The '07 G was not available for VPP purchase until Mar after a Sept - Oct release. I would assume the same approval delay for the G37. Although, I plan on selling my Subaru for one when they go VPP and take advantage as well
Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the deposit should definitely be refundable. i have two on order, one each at the two local dealerships. one needed 1K on credit card, the second took 500 on a check that they won't cash.

both stated they'll be seeking MSRP, but the fact that two of the exact same cars with my name on them may give me a little leverage when they come in. i'm expecting vpp will not be available for a good while after release.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Your deposit should totally be refundable. I have pre-ordered my G37 and I had to put down a $1,000 refundable deposit. If they are saying it is non-refundable, then you need to find another dealer. I was also quoted MSRP, which is probably what every dealer will quote you.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Same here, $1K refundable deposit with first right of refusal when they start coming in. Basically, I can jump on whatever matches my specs as they arrive. I'm praying a black sport A/T is in the first delivery lot. The agreement was MSRP and no more which is to be expected, and that's all good with me.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I pre-ordered my 07 Sedan last June when pricing wasn't released. I put a deposit down on the order (which was refundable) and the 5 1/2 month wait began. Just because you put a deposit down and pre-order your G37, it doesn't automatically mean you are required to pay MSRP. When my 07 Sedan finally arrived at the end of November, I was able to negotiate a discount off of MSRP.

If your dealership it requesting a $2k non-refundable deposit when you pre-order, I would run the other direction.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I pre-ordered my 07 Sedan last June when pricing wasn't released. I put a deposit down on the order (which was refundable) and the 5 1/2 month wait began. Just because you put a deposit down and pre-order your G37, it doesn't automatically mean you are required to pay MSRP. When my 07 Sedan finally arrived at the end of November, I was able to negotiate a discount off of MSRP.

If your dealership it requesting a $2k non-refundable deposit when you pre-order, I would run the other direction.
I agree. That is a signal you are not dealing with a reputable business. As well you should be able to negotiate some discount on the car either at the time of the deposit or at an agreed upon later date prior to arrival.