Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 6MT or Journey Sport Help a Gal Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 AM
DropTopGal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 6MT or Journey Sport Help a Gal Out

I plan on purchasing the G37 when it is released; heading to the dealer next week to place a deposit.
I am on the fence between the 6MT or Journey Sport model. I am a very good manual driver and can stroke my 05 S2000 with the best of them. Can anyone with insight between the G35 6MT vs Auto with sport offer some comparison advice (ie. driving experience, performance...). Thanks..
Old 05-02-2007, 01:26 AM
skaterbasist

If you enjoy the fun-factor of the 6MT, then get it.

Honestly, no one will give you any insight on the G37, because it isnt out yet.

Just be patient. It'll be hear soon.

Goodluck

Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 AM
LudwigB

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
I plan on purchasing the G37 when it is released; heading to the dealer next week to place a deposit.
I am on the fence between the 6MT or Journey Sport model. I am a very good manual driver and can stroke my 05 S2000 with the best of them. Can anyone with insight between the G35 6MT vs Auto with sport offer some comparison advice (ie. driving experience, performance...). Thanks..
I supposed "DropTop" is meant for your S2k and not your ... well anyway, the 6MT on the G37 according to an article from Automobile will have improved clutch and vibration control. The 5AT may not be adequate. I think Nissan ought to give it a 6AT to keep up with the competition. Sometimes, I really wish there is an extra gear for highway cruising. If you don't mind shifting, get a 6MT.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 AM
bostonmerlin

i agree with others (Except the drop-top remark above ^). I also have a 37 on order. I tossed around the idea of getting paddle shifters but for me it would be just a novelty. I test drove a lexus is350 with auto/paddles and it was fun for the test drive but I missed the action of shifting (i.e. 6mt). Go for the 6mt unless you're looking for a different experience.. not a worse experience.. only different.
bm
Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
swordsman54

Originally Posted by LudwigB
I supposed "DropTop" is meant for your S2k and not your ... well anyway, the 6MT on the G37 according to an article from Automobile will have improved clutch and vibration control. The 5AT may not be adequate. I think Nissan ought to give it a 6AT to keep up with the competition. Sometimes, I really wish there is an extra gear for highway cruising. If you don't mind shifting, get a 6MT.
I completely agree. I think that there should be a 6AT. It would definetly be nice to have a 6AT for those who don't want to shift all the time. It would also help to keep up with the competition. My mom has a 7AT in her car, but Nissan can't even put a 6AT in their cars that Ford even has?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
nghiars

c'mon now... why complain about number of gears in the auto when it still has great acceleration? not many autos out there can help push a 3500 car that quickly..

back to topic.. the 6mt in the G is at its best when pushed.. i feel that way with my 6mt.. its not as smooth through the gates when im easy on the gas and i have driven s2k's before and those have great trannies period.. i wont be as smooth or short... i hear short shifters for the G helps with shift smoothness and obviously lengths.. the 5at's on the coupe is pretty quick but i've gotten used to stick and i guess i just cant let go of having more control of the car with the stick.. if you can drive stick, you should get one.. this was my 1st stick and i dont think i will ever switch back... i did drive the 07 sedan today and DS mode is quite touchy.. meaning i gave it a bit of gas and it just zipped.. the 07 loaner sedan tranny had 3 options.. D DS and manumatic..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:02 AM
DropTopGal

Thanks for the feedback guys. I also like the feeling of control the manual has, even though it can be tiresome during times of heavy traffic. Thing is, I've been spoiled by the smoothness and clutch ease of the S2000. Something to get use to with the G and perhaps with the revised / new G37 tranny, it will be smooth and have a fairly light clutch feel.
Leaving the "sport car" class of the S2000 to the more refined G37, I feel that the manual tranny will help keep some "sport car" feel.

After almost 3 years of a convertible, hence "droptopgal", I'm ready for a coupe. Every now and then, I'm sure to miss top down driving, but fair trade off for more luxury. After all, variety can be a good thing. Oh, no offense taken at all by above post regarding "drop top", to be honest, the top goes when at the beach, so there is a double meaning.

Last edited by DropTopGal; 05-03-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:35 AM
wyatthanson

I went from a project S2000 to my Infiniti FX now. I miss the manual. My next car will be a 6MT for sure.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
AdamJ

You can stroke with the best of them, eh?

The 5AT is faster in most situations since the majority of people who think they can drive stick, really can't. A 6 or 7 speed automatic would be wonderful.

Last edited by AdamJ; 05-03-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
DropTopGal

I agree, the computer shift of the 5AT is likely a bit quicker than most 6MT drivers can manage, however, it is a matter of control and feel that one gets when flicking the stick. Then again, sitting back and let the computer take control isn't bad either. After doing some research on the 5AT, I can see why many have opted for it. Another advantage of the 5AT, no clutch that will need replacing. Ugh....decisions, decisions...

Last edited by DropTopGal; 05-03-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM
FenixL1P

if you don't want to always look at dash to see what gear your in, stick with the manual...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
M6_G

Originally Posted by bostonmerlin
i agree with others (Except the drop-top remark above ^). I also have a 37 on order. I tossed around the idea of getting paddle shifters but for me it would be just a novelty. I test drove a lexus is350 with auto/paddles and it was fun for the test drive but I missed the action of shifting (i.e. 6mt). Go for the 6mt unless you're looking for a different experience.. not a worse experience.. only different.
bm

+1 well said
Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 AM
FAST1

I also like the feeling of control the manual has, even though it can be tiresome during times of heavy traffic. Thing is, I've been spoiled by the smoothness and clutch ease of the S2000. Something to get use to with the G and perhaps with the revised / new G37 tranny, it will be smooth and have a fairly light clutch feel.

Over the years I have owned three different iterations of the 911 and various BMWs including an E46 M3, and none of them had gear boxes that were in the same league as the S2000. Since none of us have ever driven a G37, we can't say for sure how its gear box will perform, but I wouldn't expect anything near the S2000 standard.

Since I live and work in the country, a manual tranny is a no brainer. On the other hand if I had to ride through stop and go traffic on a regular basis, I'd go with an automatic. Interestingly enough my wife drives in heavy traffic every day, and she insists on a manual tranny. So bottom line it's an individual choice.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
xdram

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
After almost 3 years of a convertible, hence "droptopgal", I'm ready for a coupe. Every now and then, I'm sure to miss top down driving, but fair trade off for more luxury. After all, variety can be a good thing. Oh, no offense taken at all by above post regarding "drop top", to be honest, the top goes when at the beach, so there is a double meaning.
I've heard rumors about a convertible in the works but no clue if or when we'll see that.

Get the manual... Yeah in traffic it gets annoying but when you get a chance to use the manual properly, it's priceless!

What color you going with? I'm thinking red for me...
Old 05-04-2007, 05:54 PM
DropTopGal

I have a feeling that the G37 MT6 will not be as smooth and light clutch feel as the S2000. Actually, when I recently test drove a 911 and 335i, the clutch was just not S2000 smooth. A few years ago I drove the 350Z and the clutch was also not up to S2000 standards. Again, your feedback is appreciated! I see that it isn't me thinking that the S2000 clutch was so easy to use, but it is simply an effortless 6spd.

Thanks for the info on the G37 convertible. I already knew that a hardtop convertible is in the works. However, after years of going top down, I am getting to much sun since I always have the top down unless it is raining. Besides, it messes up the tan lines! I'm going for a change with the coupe. As for color, I just love the RED! Very sexy... then again, the G37 is a very sexy car, regardless of color.

Quick Reply: G37 6MT or Journey Sport Help a Gal Out