Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

what will 0-60 be? in 08 g37

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 AM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1

Please don't be sucked in by HP marketing. HP is great on the race track but on the street only two factors are critical: TORQUE AND CURB WEIGHT. For the G37 the torque is 270 lb/ft and the curb weight is almost 3700 lbs with the sport option. HP is a nice number to throw around when you are trying to impress your girlfriend, but it won't buy you much on the street.
If you're talking about performance, I think you're mistaking torque for hp.

Feeling that low-end torque is great for daily driving, but when it comes to the track, HP is what counts.

Torque does not win races

Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
FAST1

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
If you're talking about performance, I think you're mistaking torque for hp.

Feeling that low-end torque is great for daily driving, but when it comes to the track, HP is what counts.

Torque does not win races

But that's exactly what I've been saying over and over and over again, but apparently no one reads carefully. Torque for the street and HP for the race track. An F1 car has very little torque and tremendous HP, but who cares since they spend all of their time at around 19K RPM. Most of us who use our cars as daily commuters spend the vast majority of our times below 5K RPM. I like owning cars that will push me back into my seat at speeds that I'm likely to be driving on a consistent basis. The G35 doesn't but I was hoping that the G37 would. Based on the G37's weight and 270 lb/ft of torque it won't either.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
muscarel

Originally Posted by FAST1
But that's exactly what I've been saying over and over and over again, but apparently no one reads carefully. Torque for the street and HP for the race track. An F1 car has very little torque and tremendous HP, but who cares since they spend all of their time at around 19K RPM. Most of us who use our cars as daily commuters spend the vast majority of our times below 5K RPM. I like owning cars that will push me back into my seat at speeds that I'm likely to be driving on a consistent basis. The G35 doesn't but I was hoping that the G37 would. Based on the G37's weight and 270 lb/ft of torque it won't either.
Did you expect that the new G was going to go from 258/268 lb-ft of torque at PEAK to 350 or something? If not, what could have been expected? I was thinking 280-285 for the increase in displacement. Would have made little difference down low. Let's say the magical 300 was hit (never a possibility) at PEAK. Would that have made you feel better? Would the car have been THAT different or just less satisfying when you did rev it out? What if the torque curve was less flat but the car still had 300 lb-ft of torque - do you think the car would have had better punch down low?

An F1 car has almost NO torque relative to horsepower, so your example is weak. The G37 has 330 HP and 270 ft-lbs of torque. It doesn't put out 100 lb-ft of torque and needs to rev to 15k rpm to make any useful power. This new engine makes good power thoroughout the rev range.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
b00stedjustin
Banned

Originally Posted by Spoonie
Since when did the G37 become a 1/4 mile car? Both the G35 and the 335 are slow when it comes to the 1/4 mile. Who cares? Are you guys gonna be racing 335's on the street? If so, the driver will be the differentiator, not the car.
is low 14's and high 13's slow? I don't think so.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Zee2G

What's funny is the complaint of the VQ35DE for many years has been its lack of excitement from the engine in the upper revs. Everyone including myself loves the down low torque of the engine, but quite a few of us would prefer more top end, less vibration, a more european or proper JDM revving engine.

I remember reading a comparison between an RX8 and 350z. The editors basically picked the RX8 because the engine had different character as you spun through it, where as the VQ in their minds was boring.

Now with the revup and finally the HR they have taken steps to address these issues.

The VQ has always been known for its torque. Compare it to some Euro engines with high HP, the torque is nowhere near HP, much less then the VQ.

You are not losing any torque, you are gaining torque and a flatter curve. You are also gaining 50+ hp over the DE.

The VQ has always been a great compromise. It still is. For the majority of enthusiasts, the upper revs and the overall feel of a high spinning engine will always be paramount.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Zee2G
What's funny is the complaint of the VQ35DE for many years has been its lack of excitement from the engine in the upper revs. Everyone including myself loves the down low torque of the engine, but quite a few of us would prefer more top end, less vibration, a more european or proper JDM revving engine.

I remember reading a comparison between an RX8 and 350z. The editors basically picked the RX8 because the engine had different character as you spun through it, where as the VQ in their minds was boring.

Now with the revup and finally the HR they have taken steps to address these issues.

The VQ has always been known for its torque. Compare it to some Euro engines with high HP, the torque is nowhere near HP, much less then the VQ.

You are not losing any torque, you are gaining torque and a flatter curve. You are also gaining 50+ hp over the DE.

The VQ has always been a great compromise. It still is. For the majority of enthusiasts, the upper revs and the overall feel of a high spinning engine will always be paramount.
I was thinking the same thing. You have to love that 55 hp increase over the DE!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Zee2G

I really think for us DE owners, the difference will be very much tangible. I could certainly feel the difference in the 3.5 HR over the DE.

We are losing nothing! We are gaining so much. The VQ (I know some of you hardcore Nissan enthusiasts will point out to some older versions which did rev freely) but I am just talking VQ 350z/G35+ was always regarded as having almost v8 like torque from its engine. I don't remember any other engine being in its class being so constantly well regarded for its torque.

I don't feel Nissan deserves any flaming for TQ on this new engine. There is only so much you can do, and again this has always been regarded as having the best torque available in its range. What more can they do?

I am sure the M50 will have plenty of torque
Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
FOLKS! It's all about the power under the curve. People keep separating HP and torque as if they are some separate force. They are connected- you can't make HP w/o torque. For example the 03-04 G has more "peak" torque. But the 05-06 G Revup motor has a longer period of sustained torque- particularly in the upper RPMs . If you compare the torque of the two motors on a dyno, you will see that the 05-06 has more torque above 6000 RPM. Thus the combination of torque and engine speed produces more HP.
But it is the area under the curve that makes an engine perform best.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 03-28-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Zee2G

+1

Same can be said from the revup to the HR
Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
FOLKS! It's all about the power under the curve. People keep separating HP and torque as if they are som separate force. They are connected- you can't make HP w/o torque. For example the 03-04 G has more "peak" torque. But the 05-06 G Revup motor has a longer period of sustained torque- particularly in the upper RPMs . If you compare the torque of the two motors on a dyno, you will see that the 95-06 has more torque above 6000 RPM. Thus the combination of torque and engine speed produces more HP.
But it is the area under the curve that makes an engine perform best.
Exactly.

FAST1 I think you are mistaken. You want a great torque curve and a good peak figure. I know I red a 350z review when they first came out that said the VQ made 200tq and 1200rpm (i believe). That is great, the VQ has always had good low-end torque when is great for city driving. Now it will have a killer top-end to compliment the low end. Take an 07 Z for a drive because they G will have similar hp:weight ratio and similar torque:weight. I haven't heard anyone say that it is lacking anywhere in the RPM's.

You can take a look at turbo cars and notice their great torque ratings. Some of those torque curves on those cars are horrible down low for city driving, while their peak numbers are great.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 PM
FAST1

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Exactly.

FAST1 I think you are mistaken. You want a great torque curve and a good peak figure. I know I red a 350z review when they first came out that said the VQ made 200tq and 1200rpm (i believe). That is great, the VQ has always had good low-end torque when is great for city driving. Now it will have a killer top-end to compliment the low end. Take an 07 Z for a drive because they G will have similar hp:weight ratio and similar torque:weight. I haven't heard anyone say that it is lacking anywhere in the RPM's.

You can take a look at turbo cars and notice their great torque ratings. Some of those torque curves on those cars are horrible down low for city driving, while their peak numbers are great.
In the past you were right about the turbo cars but they've fixed that problem many years ago when they went with a twin turbo rather than the one large turbo. So they spoil up much faster and you get the torque from around 2000 RPM.

Let me try another approach. In around five months the G37 will be available for test driving. All I'm saying is that I don't believe that it will be that much quicker than a G35. I was hoping for 335 performance since the G37 came out a year later than the 335, but that won't happen IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
^Ya I agree with that. Turbo motors have come a long way for sure.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Isn't thread racing so much fun!
WOOHOO!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:49 AM
kraqcommando

Originally Posted by Raheel
You guys are way too optimistic, but 5.2 for Auto, and 5.0 for Manual
the new auto on this thing will match if not be better than MT
Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 AM
dbeare6804

G35 05 6mt

One of the only benefits of living near OK, is the turnpike. Pisses me off to have to pay a toll. So, I launch hard out of the gate... 0-75mph. TAG F1 Sport Chrono clocks my 0-60 for what that is worth.

Thus far, BABYING MY '05 G35 Coupe 6MT with traction control enabled, Tanabe Y pipe, Motordyne MREV+ package, SUS filter, and 18 in michelin pilot sport a/s tires averages 5.5 0-60.

Same, michelin pilot sports, 0-60 5.3-6 sec 0-60.

The Z will do better. But, the G35 is one nice ride (had one oil burning biatch). While in Indian country Ive never topped out. BUT, this beast pulls hard. Ive pulled strong along side many a beefed 350 pickup. Far into a zone (>100mph) that might land me in some civil war era jail before I could blink. They are left in the dust. No mustangs yet...

Some SOB might smoke you with a 405 HP beast, but the interior is nicer than the new Vette. There will always be someone who has something faster, wider, stronger, badder. Just put the lean on and know that the only reason you are being tested is that they are jacking.

Quick Reply: what will 0-60 be? in 08 g37