Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Motor Trend Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Samson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Whatever you want to call it won't change the car. Virtually no sports and/or luxury car made today doesn't include all the features you mention. Only race cars don't have seats, interior panels, carpeting removed etc. Therefore thats not really an excuse for having a heavy car relative to others in the class.

I think all most people here want is a car that is the same or slightly less weight than the last gen. Like most cars each succesive gen gets heavier and bigger and then the manufacturer brings out a new smaller model to replace/fill that model void. That's unfortunate in the sportier class of cars where performance and handling are a bigger consideration for buyers than other classes of cars.
Excellent points Deane. Chevrolet showed that they could make a substantial weight reduction in the Z06 over the regular C6. It is possible to make a lighter weight vehicle and still have some semblance of luxury. Whatever happened to the front monocoque that Infiniti was supposed to debut on the new Coupe. Looks to me like it is just a continuation of basic structure of the Gen I Sedan and Coupe.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:56 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RV1
This is one benefit of turbo cars. You can simply turn up the boost with a chip and get a lot of power for a small expenditure compared to NA vehicles.
Your right; however, keep in mind it's all relative... When you turn up the boost, you raise up the heat; heat kills so you cut down the life. OR You have to spend on cooling and modification to route and mount the cooling, not to mention opening areas to let cool air flow. Ah, but then you create lift so now you need aero improvements which will cost also.

Like I said; it's all relative... You could just raise the boost and kill it in a few thousand miles OR just run it hard very seldom for very short moments in time.

I know it sounds so simple and cheap, but the old sayings remain true; "You get what you pay for" AND "If it seems to good to be true, it usually is".

JMHO
htb
Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 AM
G-WannaBe

Originally Posted by Rampant
Just to clear some things up, turbos don't help "get off the line" as they don't have "instant power". It takes time for the exhaust to spin the compressor. Even small turbos take some time.

I had a twin turbo, and while under normal riving conditions, they would not add power until after 3,000 rpm, when I was driving hard I could launch at high revs and get those twins pumping like double Ds jogging on the beach. She was a heavy car, but they kicked in quickly once you pushed the tach up over 4 to 5 grand. Because she was AWD and over 3,500 lbs, wheel spin was not a problem with high rev launches.

Last edited by G-WannaBe; 03-24-2007 at 08:58 AM.